VAR & Goal line technology

Manorlounger

28,000 surveyed and two thirds in favour.

Personally, if we can't get a better standard of official then maybe this will help. However, not with the ridiculous nature that was prevalent in the Women's World Cup.
And, if introduced, then the current officials need to be properly trained in the use of the technology.

28,000 surveyed and two thirds in favour.

Personally, if we can't get a better standard of official then maybe this will help. However, not with the ridiculous nature that was prevalent in the Women's World Cup.
And, if introduced, then the current officials need to be properly trained in the use of the technology.

I assume most watch the games on TV/internet then as, only anecdotally, the vast majority I've heard/read are happy VAR won't be in the lower leagues.

I reckon I would stop going if it did as the spontaneity of a goal would be lost etc. And the controversy would remain anyway as VAR has already demonstrated as most decisions are opinion based anyway.

I understand the call for more technology. And in matters of fact (goal line tech, offsides) it's difficult to argue. Where IMO it falls down is when it's used to determine the 'deliberateness' of a handball, whether an attacker 'got a touch and went down' etc - which are far more subjective and (as we saw in the WWC) the fact that refs at least initially tend not to make decisions, but to let play go on and then call on VAR to help them out. I still (despite discussions on here) am by nature opposed to changes that make the professional game substantively different to that at grass roots.
I'm not convinced by the economics of this either. Outfitting every professional ground with VAR technology and having enough remote panels on a Saturday afternoon to cope with all the concurrent matches would surely be hugely expensive, or do we have yet more officials at each ground?
Perhaps the money might be better spent on attracting and training more referees to a higher standard?

I understand the call for more technology. And in matters of fact (goal line tech, offsides) it's difficult to argue. Where IMO it falls down is when it's used to determine the 'deliberateness' of a handball, whether an attacker 'got a touch and went down' etc - which are far more subjective and (as we saw in the WWC) the fact that refs at least initially tend not to make decisions, but to let play go on and then call on VAR to help them out. I still (despite discussions on here) am by nature opposed to changes that make the professional game substantively different to that at grass roots.
I'm not convinced by the economics of this either. Outfitting every professional ground with VAR technology and having enough remote panels on a Saturday afternoon to cope with all the concurrent matches would surely be hugely expensive, or do we have yet more officials at each ground?
Perhaps the money might be better spent on attracting and training more referees to a higher standard?

100% agree

100% agree
Yup. There is no finance available for this unless the clubs themselves are going to foot the bill. How many cameras would be needed? As it stands, we have just the one angle. That camera is up at the top of the South Stand. What do we expect, Chris Williams and his hand held running around the pitch for the entire game? Or, do we recruit all the camera phones to provide the evidence required?

Goal line tech, maybe, full VAR? Not viable. No. Train the officials and while their at it, have a word with some of the more ego tripping idiots we see every season!

I can't see the likes of Darren Drysdale or Trevor Kettle taking too kindly to an eye in the sky looking at their decisions.
they dont appear to give a fcuk about referees assessor watching them at every game they oversee, cant see VAR eye in the sky worrying either of em, both are worse than useless, all know it, except referees association ( or what ever it is), who allow them to ruin referee despite everything! .... though take your point

they dont appear to give a fcuk about referees assessor watching them at every game they oversee, cant see VAR eye in the sky worrying either of em, both are worse than useless, all know it, except referees association ( or what ever it is), who allow them to ruin referee despite everything! .... though take your point
They won't until their decisions on review are looked at by all and they need to justify it. Lino's at our level will be weeping at the thought of having to keep up with the game for once because randomly sticking the offside flag up won't be good enough any more...

Back
Top Bottom