Value for money 'entertainment' for (nearly )senior citizens in Oxford?

Brave thread, Sarge.

Generally speaking, if you view football as a form of entertainment and nothing more, it represents bad value for money, I agree. It’s not something I do personally, but I can appreciate the argument. I imagine it’s how many casual fans feel about us and watching football from the stands in general. That obviously isn’t a problem exclusive to us, but it’s ours to address if we want to change that perception and attract new fans. Sadly it’s just not happening. Is it arrogance? Laziness? Lack of ideas or ambition? I would personally guess at a combination of complacency and lack of brand awareness, especially among young children. I know it’s a bit of a taboo subject for a lot of football fans, but it’s one worth exploring if we do want to grow as a club.

Re: ST prices. Darryl said that any extra revenue from ST sales would be allocated to the playing budget. Prices increased, but ST holders decreased by roughly 500, so I suspect the amount of extra revenue generated wasn’t as much as some people would have expected. The wage budget increased by a considerable amount this season. Was that due to the increase in ST prices? No idea, but I suppose it’s an argument Darryl could make if he was forced to defend his position. Of course communication is at an all-time low from Darryl, who seems to favour the ostrich approach lately. You have to wonder, with lower attendances, fewer assets to sell and a disappointing season - at least it’s looking that way at the moment - how much tighter loyal fans will be squeezed next season.

If youre a fan of the cinema then you can get 12 months Cineworld Unlimited for £156 (look it up on hotukdeals). Although you can still get the ‘wtf did I just watch?’ feeling from the cinema, too. I’m looking at you Pirates of the Caribbean 27! I only usually go when I’m dragged along, so wouldn’t get value for money, but for some people it would definitely be a worthwhile investment.

The silence from Eales is quite palpable. After last week's horror show we did not even get the dreaded Chairman's vote of confidence. I think the Boardroom apathy is spreading to the terraces, and I for one cannot wait for the season to end. My memory may be short but I cannot remember seeing so many substandard performances (conference excluded).

Back
Top Bottom