Update on Singha and use of J’s Bar

MJB

Can’t see this being discussed elsewhere but have people seen the club’s update on beers and bars?

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2019/february/js-bar-and-singha/

Nice to see the club recognising that there has been a gap in the matchday experience post-Priory.

As a driver to games, I don’t drink and it therefore doesn’t really affect me, but I assume this will generally be perceived as good news? Particularly the money we’ll make off the Singha sales.

Am I also right in thinking that the club wanted to get the Singha partnership linked in with Kassam concourse bars? If so, I’m assuming the use of J’s suggests that this hasn’t gone anywhere, despite the arbitration being dropped.

Thoughts?

Don't think js bar with have the appeal of the bird....certainly not for me

A concern is what restrictions will be forced onto js sports bar as to who is and who isn't allowed access on home matches. If the powers that be opt to exclude home fans to kowtow/accomodate a large away support js bar as matchday oufc 'supporters club' will be akin to shooting yourself in both feet. Hope that this initiative isnt strangled at bith (this saturday) by making it mackems only

Js bar will be hosting the next q&A with OUFC officials from slo, comms n marketing depths, following on from the cpf meet/q&A of a weeks ago, takes place between 5.30pm & 7.30pm 27th Feb

I gave Singha a try when they were announced as shirt sponsors....decided straight away it's not for me

Good call for brokering a deal for an official 'supporters club' mustering point on match days by OUFC. .... even though I shant be changing my pre match habits n rituals. Prefer a proper pub to a sports bar personally, & for a plethora of reasons

A concern is what restrictions will be forced onto js sports bar as to who is and who isn't allowed access on home matches. If the powers that be opt to exclude home fans to kowtow/accomodate a large away support js bar as matchday oufc 'supporters club' will be akin to shooting yourself in both feet. Hope that this initiative isnt strangled at bith (this saturday) by making it mackems only

Js bar will be hosting the next q&A with OUFC officials from slo, comms n marketing depths, following on from the cpf meet/q&A of a weeks ago, takes place between 5.30pm & 7.30pm 27th Feb

I gave Singha a try when they were announced as shirt sponsors....decided straight away it's not for me

Good call for brokering a deal for an official 'supporters club' mustering point on match days by OUFC. .... even though I shant be changing my pre match habits n rituals. Prefer a proper pub to a sports bar personally, & for a plethora of reasons

I prefer a proper pub with proper beer. Which rules both out.

Why would there be restrictions on home fans in a bar that’s a supporters club ?? It’s been open a year and has never been classified an “away pub” and isn’t any more likely to be than the blackbird is.

Come on sarge, the club is doing some good things behind the scenes, to try and improve the matchday experience, as well as the link between fans.

Why would there be restrictions on home fans in a bar that’s a supporters club ?? It’s been open a year and has never been classified an “away pub” and isn’t any more likely to be than the blackbird is.

Come on sarge, the club is doing some good things behind the scenes, to try and improve the matchday experience, as well as the link between fans.
I n my post I did say good on the club for sorting js as match day supporters club. . . Even though it's not for me

And my point was I hope the powers that be don't designate it at any time an away fans hostelry, as if they did it would be counterproductive to js being designated supporters club on match days

Also included that there's a q n a meet 27th Feb (5.30-7.30 pm) wiith OUFC slo, comms, marketing etc there
Hardly criticism I'd say?

You haven't flagged up that I don't particularly like Singha, thus depriving the club of 50p per bottle sold in js ;)

I n my post I did say good on the club for sorting js as match day supporters club. . . Even though it's not for me

And my point was I hope the powers that be don't designate it at any time an away fans hostelry, as if they did it would be counterproductive to js being designated supporters club on match days

Also included that there's a q n a meet 27th Feb (5.30-7.30 pm) wiith OUFC slo, comms, marketing etc there
Hardly criticism I'd say?

You haven't flagged up that I don't particularly like Singha, thus depriving the club of 50p per bottle sold in js ;)

I flagged up that bit that I think is a pointless criticism/worry . it’s never happened and is never likely to happen. People regularly complain about the matchday experience since losing the priory, the club have actively gone out to try and improve that area of a matchday, and unlike the priory it will be actively generating additional funds for the club. As for it not being some people’s cup of tea, well no probably not, same with fans forum timings, u won’t please all the people all the time, but if it pleases some then I think it’s job well done

Who are "the powers that be" that you refer to Sarge? Would these powers that be also have the power to make the Blackbird, or any other pub, away fans only?

Who are "the powers that be" that you refer to Sarge? Would these powers that be also have the power to make the Blackbird, or any other pub, away fans only?
I'd think they are likely to be one n the same

I flagged up that bit that I think is a pointless criticism/worry . it’s never happened and is never likely to happen. People regularly complain about the matchday experience since losing the priory, the club have actively gone out to try and improve that area of a matchday, and unlike the priory it will be actively generating additional funds for the club. As for it not being some people’s cup of tea, well no probably not, same with fans forum timings, u won’t please all the people all the time, but if it pleases some then I think it’s job well done
Agree with that ....as I did say in my first post on this thread ;)

If only we owned that shithole of a ground.??

But who are "the Powers That Be"?

The club?
The Police?
Kassam?
Tiger?
Niall McW?
Karl Robinson?
I believe it's the police who are responsible for designating pubs/bars /etc as away fans only on certain big games. Admit I'm not 100% aux fait with how it works currently, however id've thought @PC956S could provide the current info ?@SiHath .... unless your question is rhetorical?

Last edited:
I go to Js, although i'm a driver too but i enjoy the atmosphere in there but they do need more tables imo

Should be no isssues here.

Well done Matt Everett and co, their hands are more tied than commercial teams at other clubs because of the lease / relations with Kassam. It may be small money in the scheme of things, but at least it is clear how the club benefits and they may run more mutually beneficial deals.
But surely that nice Mr Kassam - who likes to remind us that he is the custodian of the club - would no doubt help us given the club appears
to have folded on the arbitration issue and paid up.

Is there any current evidence , anywhere, that our landlord is helping the club in any way?

But surely that nice Mr Kassam - who likes to remind us that he is the custodian of the club - would no doubt help us given the club appears
to have folded on the arbitration issue and paid up.

Is there any current evidence , anywhere, that our landlord is helping the club in any way?
This was the point that I was going to pick up on. I was led to believe an announcement that the club was taking over the concessions in the stadium was imminent. Another indication that no matter how nice we all are to uncle Firoz, we still get nothing.

Back
Top Bottom