Chairman update from tiger

Load of fluff again from tigger. Diametric change from 5 alternative sites, though; 'rudderless between 2,countervailing tides.'

Two months ago we had the ‘spectacular’ FF where the club let rip about the stadium situation with all guns blazing at Kassam. ‘Things can’t go on’, ‘we’ve had enough’, ‘we’re going to move to a new stadium’, we’re basically the sound bites used. We also get told that that this big hitter is going to join the board with hints that he was to be the final piece of the jigsaw to make this happen. All quite stunning stuff. I remember thinking ‘wow’ at the time, there’s no going back from this. It really rattled FK’s cage to a point where he came out retaliating in the local press. He says something along the lines of ‘the club should shut up and stay put, just pay what they owe’ A real ‘popcorn’ moment.

We then get a joint statement from the club and local councils that there is indeed a real effort to move the club away from this untenable situation and to a new ground. 5 sites have been ear marked and the club has employed a company to get the ball rolling.

Then the big hitting billionaire arrives the same day as we find out we’ve missed a payment to the taxman.. There’s no further information as to what his role or level of involvement is to be, just that he’ll be ‘great for the club’.

Now we get a statement that the club is working alongside the stadium company to build bridges and repair the relationship - the long term strategy - with talk of additional advertising hoardings being a possibility...

If this is just short term while the wheels are still in motion to move to something better then great, but why make news of improved relationships with Kassam such a big positive piece of news when it’s a complete u-turn on how the club acted at the FF?

Is it any wonder myself and others are feeling a little frustrated with this situation and would like a bit more clarification of our current situation?

Last edited:
As the petition never got published, HRMC are satisfied that the debt no longer exists; we either paid it or contested it & won or the cheque crossed in the post.

As the club never officially acknowledged the petition, can we expect them to officially comment on it's withdrawal?
I think Friday was the 7th working day after the petition was issued, so it seems reasonable to assume that the issue has been settled as it hasn’t been published in the Gazette.

However, OxVox asked the club about it so I really don’t see the harm in the club letting fans know that it’s been settled.

Thohir coming in changes the outlook for Kassam. Never before have we had someone on the board with the finances of Thohir, a man who could actually afford to buy the stadium.

Kassam wants rid of the stadium as long as he can build his houses on the over flow carpark. He will be much more willing to play ball if he knows the club could realistically buy it.

Just because we have a member of the board who has vast amount of money does not mean he intends to spend any of it on a club who board he sits on. Is the man in question a major shareholder or one who holds 9.9% of the shares,does he even hold any shares? The update is just a way of placating the fans but actually tells us very little.

The big question for me is just what finance is behind the club. I don't remember anyone saying Erick Thohir is here to invest any money just some stuff about adding experience. Why has such a critical bill gone unpaid? Was all the talk of new stadiums just pie in the sky? Will we get the critical money required for player investment in January which will see us safe?

I know things have improved on field recently but our current position in the league is still way below what should be expected if we genuinely have a half decent budget. We do need some good investment in the team in Jan just to get us out of the mire, and no we are not there yet. I remain concerned that the money just isn't being provided from the team. However if it has been just how disastrous was the summer spending and what on earth is in place to stop January being a repeat?

I still don't know what to make of Tiger and his chums. I have no idea if he really does have a well financed plan for the club or if he is another Nick Merry. This sort of tak isn't about fans whinging its about fans being very rightly concerned.

I suppose my real gripe is it seems we’ve gone from the aggressive, pro-active stance the club had at the FF to suddenly reverting back to the passive one that has been used in the past to little effect. This last update seems to leave one with the uneasy feeling that the bar is being lowered..

I am still waiting for this list of five viable, achievable, sensible stadium locations. Odd that it never appeared ...

Well when i had a company i would would not tell anyone my plans not even my best customer, just remember that's all we are customers.Don't like it but that's the way it is.

I appreciate there are commercial sensitivities, but club owners normally come out with some sort of "story".

Lenagan's story was to resurrect the youth system and replicate the home grown talent that worked well at Wigan, get a few promotions.

Eales's / Ashton's story was to build a player trading model, get a few promotions (and presumably sell on for a profit).

Tiger's story is ?

Fluff pieces like this are always ill-judged and misplaced.

They rarely work with customers of companies they don't actually give a sh!t about or have any emotional connection to. I feel about as engaged as when I see the latest Go Outdoors or Robert Dyas special offer pamphlet drop through my letterbox....

These things are doomed to failure with fans of football clubs who are far, far more than mere customers of a mere commercial entity.

Disappointing, and whilst I almost appreciate what Tiger is trying to do, I think it is misjudged...this is not the way to communicate with fans (we are NOT customers!).

Curiouser and curiouser! (to quote a Yellows fan)

Of course, if you go public with the huge financial backing you have just recieved , then the price of any new players will skyrocket in January. Perhaps the 'board' are just keeping their powder dry?

One can only hope that voicing plans to move etc has made the nice Mr K reconsider his position and cooperate..

Anyway, it's all so complicated that I need to look at simpler issues, so I am just checking up on the Brexit thing....

I really don't know what to make of the current situation. Are we actively looking for another site or not? What's to stop FK paying lip service and stringing us along for seven years so, at the very least, he's got a tenant with no option but to renew an agreement loaded in his favour?

Work prevents me from attending the Oxvox meeting tomorrow. However, should someone from Oxford City Council be there (and it's an oversight if they've not been invited) could someone please ask the following question for me:

At the Oxvox meeting in January Bob Price told us that the Council were deciding what action to take against FK regarding the priory. Exactly what action has been taken in the 10 months since that meeting?

I really don't know what to make of the current situation. Are we actively looking for another site or not? What's to stop FK paying lip service and stringing us along for seven years so, at the very least, he's got a tenant with no option but to renew an agreement loaded in his favour?

Work prevents me from attending the Oxvox meeting tomorrow. However, should someone from Oxford City Council be there (and it's an oversight if they've not been invited) could someone please ask the following question for me:

At the Oxvox meeting in January Bob Price told us that the Council were deciding what action to take against FK regarding the priory. Exactly what action has been taken in the 10 months since that meeting?

I can answer that for you.

Nothing.
Its 4 years or so since Tim & Co were removed & since then nada, nothing.
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11050333.take-action-to-stop-former-priory-pub-falling-into-ruin/

I’m beginning to wonder if the Erick Thohir news is a bit of a red herring. I know people are saying Tiger maybe wants to keep his level of involvement under wraps but what a massive coup having this man involved should be. I was expecting a lot more flags and trumpets to herald his arrival, what better way to get bums on seats than a big introduction with their plans for the future mapped out for the supporters? Instead all we get is the occasional one liners about how ‘good’ he is for the club. I wonder if his involvement is more as a figurehead/adviser role. I just hope it isn’t some sort of diversionary tactic to take the eye off what’s really going on. Hopefully it’s a case of Thohir just wanting to keep a low profile.?

Or keeping player/agent demands in January realistic and Kassam’s financial demands lower. As soon as all parties are aware of investment by a billionaire prices will be inflated for sure.but then again maybe his investment at this stage is minimal. I am not sure we need to know, loyal fans with inquisitive minds though we are.

That one is on my list of potential Q's to ask.....consider it done @outsidethebox :)

Back
Top Bottom