UEFA Euro 2020

unification

For those plotting summer city breaks next year, UEFA have a bit of a weird concept for the Euros in 2020 by holding it in a series of cities across the continent (including the maligned Baku). The ticket ballot opens on 12th June.

A festival of football! A celebration for players and fans alike - unless you consider the ticket prices. The cheapest ticket to any game is €30 for games in Baku, Budapest and Bucharest - all OK for a Category 3 ticket. Category 3 for other games is €50 or €75 for knockout games - getting steeper but still fair considering the magnitude of each match. However, for a Category 2 ticket at Wembley (excluding the semis and final), Dublin or Glasgow will cost you €125 (£111). For a 90 minute group stage match that could see you watching Serbia v Belarus, is that going to appeal to anyone? A Category 1 ticket for the final is €945.

Football should never stand still and should always evolve, but just who is this concept of a competition for anymore? It makes a buggery of trying to follow your side, with expensive means to get to each game and ticket prices that far exceed the cost of getting to each match. No doubt someone at UEFA is earning a shedload from this but at the certain cost to the average fan.

I do hope it is a one-off concept.

unification

This is a one off to celebrate the 60th Birthday.
I just have a feeling UEFA will seem it such a ‘success’ that they’ll roll it out for more tournaments.

I have no issue with the dual hosting of the Euros like Austria-Switzerland and Poland-Ukraine did but a potential 5200 mile trip from Dublin to Baku isn’t that.

Sarge

I just have a feeling UEFA will seem it such a ‘success’ that they’ll roll it out for more tournaments.

I have no issue with the dual hosting of the Euros like Austria-Switzerland and Poland-Ukraine did but a potential 5200 mile trip from Dublin to Baku isn’t that.
Uefa got themselves their own Shaun Harvey ? He'd claim succes irrespective!
Agree re dual hosting

tonyw

They've already worked out some of the logistics of the draw.

England - assuming we don't a**e up qualifying, which would actually be quite tough to do from here - won't have to go to Baku unless we're one of the best 3rd place teams after the Euro 2020 group stages.

It'll be Wembley for the group stage (with just a chance we could have to go to Glasgow if the Sweaties somehow qualify).
Then if we win the group (and then keep winning) it's Dublin-Rome-Wembley-Wembley
Or if we're runners up, it's Copenhagen-St.Petersburg-Wembley-Wembley

[both of which would seem to me to offer a rather excellent two city summer vacation!]

However whichever poor sods end up Runners Up in Group A, will have a 'fun' combo of having to play in Rome & Baku in the Groups Stages, followed by Amsterdam, followed by heading back to Baku!

tonyw

So on the one hand - got to give England some credit; we haven't lost a qualifier for World Cup or Euros since 2009.

On the other - who exactly are we bribing to get these groups? Kosovo are second in the group at the moment, we've given them a goal head start and we're still four up by halftime. Looks like being four matches in a row to begin qualifying - one against each of our opponents - where we're going to win by four clear goals.

I know Euro qualifying is easier now the tournament is up to 24 teams, but it still seems that every other group is tougher than ours!

Marked Ox

So on the one hand - got to give England some credit; we haven't lost a qualifier for World Cup or Euros since 2009.

On the other - who exactly are we bribing to get these groups? Kosovo are second in the group at the moment, we've given them a goal head start and we're still four up by halftime. Looks like being four matches in a row to begin qualifying - one against each of our opponents - where we're going to win by four clear goals.

I know Euro qualifying is easier now the tournament is up to 24 teams, but it still seems that every other group is tougher than ours!
I wouldn't write off Kosovo just yet.

ZeroTheHero

Talk about game of two halves! If the half time whistle hadn't gone it looked like England were going to score every few minutes. Very different in the second half.

Marked Ox

Talk about game of two halves! If the half time whistle hadn't gone it looked like England were going to score every few minutes. Very different in the second half.
England at times contrived to miss when it was easier to score (I'm not including the penalty) in the 2nd half. Impressed with Kosovo's spirit and willingness to have a go which was in stark contrast to Bulgaria.

Also, Raheem Sterling was absolutely superb in that 1st half. The turn for Kane's goal was just sublime.