UD Las Palmas vs Cordoba 12.05.2019

Essexyellows

So I happened to be on holiday in Gran Canaria with the ever suffering Mrs EY.
Very nice hotel and, as in previous years, a notice goes up in reception that UD Las Palmas are at home on the Sunday against Cordoba in Spain`s League Two.
As they play in yellow & blue I thought it rude not to go, we also went 3 years ago when they played Barca!!
Direct bus from our hotel to the stadium,which was about 50km from the ground two return tickets cost €19. Got to the ground and tickets in the Cat 2 seats (their equivalent of the East Stand) were €16 each. They have a huge "fanzone" outside the ground with pitches for kids to kick about on, basketball courts and stalls with food & merchandise all at very reasonable cost. €2 for a pint of lager, €2 for a wrap (chicken & salad...not drugs!) and a bag of nuts!
The ground certainly harks back to their La Liga days, 33,000+ capacity with the attendance being around 8,500 on the night. The original ground had an athletics track and was very "grey and dull" (sound familiar?) so the club got rid of the track and installed extra seats and a bit of colour! There are still "part finished" building works at their "Fence End" a hangover from their jaunt to La Liga.
Facilities are superb, even the toilets are "hotel standard" with porcelain individual urinals. There are no "issues" over there and it is unlikely that the stewards would tolerate any such nonsense without getting their batons out!
The match itself was pretty entertaining and finished 1-0 but could easily have been 6-4 as both teams struggled with putting great chances away. The Las Palmas version of the "Ultra`s" divide themselves between the North & South "ends" and to their credit create a fair bit of noise with loud hailers, drums and trumpets!!
Well worth it if you get chance, Sunday evening in reasonably priced seat having a cool beer...... what football should be like.
UDLasPalmas.JPG

I try and get to watch UD Lanzarote when I'm on the island. They get over a thousand at home games and at €8 a ticket (under 18's Free) it's a grand way to pass a Sunday morning.

Where do they play, Arrecife I presume?

I'm over there about three times a year.

I try and get to watch UD Lanzarote when I'm on the island. They get over a thousand at home games and at €8 a ticket (under 18's Free) it's a grand way to pass a Sunday morning.

Been to see Lanza a few times, always good fun, beers whenever you want and hot sandwiches, nice.
They only have 1 side though, I don't feel so bad that we only three 3 sides :)

Where do they play, Arrecife I presume?

I'm over there about three times a year.
Yep, stadium is just a few hundred meters from the bus station (the Estacion), so you don't need to worry about driving - but don't get off at the first stop that look like a terminus (the Intercambiador) or you've got a twenty minute walk...........

Yes but what colours do these other island teams play in?? Thats the key for me! ? :cool:

SC Gallipoli play in all yellow. 10 euro to get into the home end. Concrete curva and 20 feet of perspex to the pitch. Old school. Good.

Best yellow and blue game I’ve been to apart from oxford was a boca juniors game. Only about 10 quid to get in

Were you in the side or in the bonkers 2 tiered end section with the fantastic looking crowd surges?

Back
Top Bottom