Tvp speed trap this afternoon

Sarge

God like member
A34 northbound sat on a bridge over the A34 in the vicinity of Abingdon......drive safe,careful and be vigilant. It's milk motorists for every penny season now!

Fantastic use of scarce police resources.

Really helps get the british public on side.

Most cars come with a device that tells you what speed you are travelling at. Match said speed to road limit.

You may, or may not know, there are on average 12 changes per year to the Highway code.................................. guess who`s been on a driver awareness course? :):giggle::geek:

Everyone speeds. Fast road, limit 60 mph. Easy to nudge 70 mph without realising and without causing problems for anyone else or being in any way reckless. Get caught in a speed trap, potentially lose licence and job and means of supporting family. I know where my sympathies lie.
I don't speed. Anymore. Getting caught is a wake up call.

Most cars come with a device that tells you what speed you are travelling at. Match said speed to road limit.

You may, or may not know, there are on average 12 changes per year to the Highway code.................................. guess who`s been on a driver awareness course? :):giggle::geek:
Guess who got offered the chance to go on the course, but forgot to book it in time (you have 2-3 months to complete the course, but have to have booked it within 3 weeks), so now have to pay the fine and points - AAAARGH

Worst thing about "doing the course" is that not only do you become more "aware" you realise the truly shocking standards of driving these days.
Now I consider myself a safe, considerate & defensive driver... I`ve done a lot of miles including a few years white van stuff in London.
However it appears driving licences & standards have recently been imported from Delhi or similar places.......... yet these folk get away with it while folk who transgress a 40mph at 10.00 pm get the "education".
We need more roads policing.... with guns... :D:D:)

Two types of 'pay the same as fine- but avoid points (every 3 years) courses now offered, IF the individual is eligible

Speed Awareness : if you are caught doing LESS than 10mph over the limit on urban roads, country roads and dual carriageways

Motorway Speed Awareness: if you are caught doing LESS than 10mph over either the national speed limit, or a controlled lesser speed limit ( instructions on the overhead gantrys) on a Motorway- usually on a 'smart' motorway, where you are 'timed for average speed between overhead, camera'd up gantrys.... which, (on M42 , M5 & M6 especially), appear to have NO logical cohesion between them at times (eg gantry 1 - 60mph, Gantry 2- 40 mph, gantry 3- 60mph, Gantry 4 -50mph and so on...often on an almost clear motorway!- cruise contol is no help/use when encountering similar !!!)

Also M40- Oxford to London/ London to Oxford .... TVP often like to have mobile camera vans set up on bridges over the M40 ....particular favourites being around High Wycombe

A34 is another favoured TVP mobile speed trap, invariably Botley Bridge and a few bridges over A34 near Abingdon often have mobile TVP speed cameras on them.... A34 around Newbury / before and after M4 junction is another area TVP ~(Reading based?) seem to like setting up mobile speed cameras in vans on bridges. Hampshire police with their mobile speed camera units prefer to lurk in laybys on the A34
Somerset and Avon police have a similar preference to lurk in laybys on dual carriageway sections of A303

Vast majority of these mobile speed camera traps are rarely anywhere near known accident blackspots, which confirms they are purely there to fleece every penny possible out of motorists!

Maybe those calling the shots regarding blatantly fleecing motorists are actually wannabee football club owners? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Two types of 'pay the same as fine- but avoid points (every 3 years) courses now offered, IF the individual is eligible

Speed Awareness : if you are caught doing LESS than 10mph over the limit on urban roads, country roads and dual carriageways

Motorway Speed Awareness: if you are caught doing LESS than 10mph over either the national speed limit, or a controlled lesser speed limit ( instructions on the overhead gantrys) on a Motorway- usually on a 'smart' motorway, where you are 'timed for average speed between overhead, camera'd up gantrys.... which, (on M42 , M5 & M6 especially), appear to have NO logical cohesion between them at times (eg gantry 1 - 60mph, Gantry 2- 40 mph, gantry 3- 60mph, Gantry 4 -50mph and so on...often on an almost clear motorway!- cruise contol is no help/use when encountering similar !!!)

Also M40- Oxford to London/ London to Oxford .... TVP often like to have mobile camera vans set up on bridges over the M40 ....particular favourites being around High Wycombe

A34 is another favoured TVP mobile speed trap, invariably Botley Bridge and a few bridges over A34 near Abingdon often have mobile TVP speed cameras on them.... A34 around Newbury / before and after M4 junction is another area TVP ~(Reading based?) seem to like setting up mobile speed cameras in vans on bridges. Hampshire police with their mobile speed camera units prefer to lurk in laybys on the A34
Somerset and Avon police have a similar preference to lurk in laybys on dual carriageway sections of A303

Vast majority of these mobile speed camera traps are rarely anywhere near known accident blackspots, which confirms they are purely there to fleece every penny possible out of motorists!

Maybe those calling the shots regarding blatantly fleecing motorists are actually wannabee football club owners? :unsure::unsure::unsure:
don't speed. No problem.

don't speed. No problem.
Often easier said than done on smart motorways with gantrys displaying limits that go up n down faster than a prozzies thong

Set ya cruise control at 69mph, then try and keep to the ever changing limits displayed on overhead smart motorway gantrys,(70- 40-60-40 -60, or similar nonsensical combinations between average speed moitoring gantrys on a relatively clear motorway), which are armed with hair trigger cameras.... if a driver is alledged to have been over the speed limit on non smart motorways or other roads, drivers have the right to challenge speeding tickets... with so called smart motorways however, if you get caught on a camera - even if its someone else , two lanes to your right,who has triggered it, EVERY vehicle in shot gets ticketed, with NO option to challenge it (unless you choose to go to court- instead of taking the Motorway speed awareness course)- a good friend of mine had this happen to them recently on M25! they opted albeit very reluctantly, for the Motorway speed awareness course (and no points)

My work takes me all over the UK (occasionally mainland Europe too), which involves clocking up the miles, and of course, noticing various local police forces attention, to or lack of attention/ interest in fleecing motorist via mobile speed traps , in places that are NOT renowned accident black spots.

TVP area, especially Oxfordshire has one of the highest revenues attained from 'speeding' motorists since TVP took over the Gatso cameras from Oxfordshire County Council (who found the Gatso's were costing them more money to run than they bought in via speeding fines)- since TVP took over operating & maintaining Gatso cameras, as well as mobile speed traps, TVP annual profit from speeding fine revenue (in Oxfordshire) is in excess of £2million...amazing profits, given Oxford City itself and the ring road are invariably gridlocked due to ongoing , seemingly never ending, roadworks being carried out inside the confines of the ring road

I'm all for safer roads, speed cameras in the vicinity of accident blackspots and the like, but hiding on bridges/ laybys round blind bends on dual carriageways is nothing to do with making the roads safer, its entirely about maximizing an income stream. Also , it seems, when it involves smart motorways, the bedrock of the English & Welsh legal system, of innocent until proved guilty (beyond reasonable doubt) no longer exists for motorists with NO right to challenge, unless you opt to go to court in person?

If the police keep having to go back to the same spot to catch speeding motorists, then there must surely be a problem with that particular road. Either the speed limit is set to low for the road or the road is too big for the speed limit.
If our roads were designed properly in the first place we wouldn't need speed traps, as a quick fix

If the police keep having to go back to the same spot to catch speeding motorists, then there must surely be a problem with that particular road. Either the speed limit is set to low for the road or the road is too big for the speed limit.
If our roads were designed properly in the first place we wouldn't need speed traps, as a quick fix
Don’t think I’ve ever seen an accident let alone a bad accident at the bottom of headington hill yet they love to sit there all the time.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen an accident let alone a bad accident at the bottom of headington hill yet they love to sit there all the time.

Bastards! That’s about the only place my lammy gets above the speed limit ?

As someone who often works very close to Headington Hill, I can say with certainty that there are very regular instances of dangerously fast driving. I’m not talking about cars nudging over 30mph, I’m talking about cars speeding up on the last section of the London Road and continuing down the hill at what looks and sounds to be speeds you’d expect of a dual carriageway or motorway.

I have no idea how many, if any, accidents this leads to but it happens a couple a times a day at least. Given the number of schools, cyclists, pedestrians, tourists, build ups of traffic and pedestrian crossings in the area, I’m not surprised that cameras are often in place.

Given that I drive down the hill virtually every weekday I’m regularly at risk of getting a speeding ticket myself but I don’t begrudge it given how a minority often seem to treat it as an opportunity to inappropriately put their foot down.

As someone who often works very close to Headington Hill, I can say with certainty that there are very regular instances of dangerously fast driving. I’m not talking about cars nudging over 30mph, I’m talking about cars speeding up on the last section of the London Road and continuing down the hill at what looks and sounds to be speeds you’d expect of a dual carriageway or motorway.

I have no idea how many, if any, accidents this leads to but it happens a couple a times a day at least. Given the number of schools, cyclists, pedestrians, tourists, build ups of traffic and pedestrian crossings in the area, I’m not surprised that cameras are often in place.

Given that I drive down the hill virtually every weekday I’m regularly at risk of getting a speeding ticket myself but I don’t begrudge it given how a minority often seem to treat it as an opportunity to inappropriately put their foot down.
..... the fixed camera / gatso at the top of Headington Hill ( heading towards the old Manor ground RIP) just past the entrance to Brookes is invariably 'live' ..... as is the fixed Camera/gatso on Marston Ferry link road close to the turn to Old Marston.
Even with the ongoing Headington access roadworkws ongoing, both gatsos seem to be 'live'

neither are serious accident blackspots, neither are sections of road where motorists generally drive at excessive speeds either, besides both have pedestrian crossing lights a few hundred yards beyond the gatsos..... simply cash cows cynically placed to entrap unsuspecting motorists, while often cyclists, invariably the head down lycra clad ninja types, steam past the cameras (and never get 'caught')

Another to place inside the ring road be mindful of, as its invariably live n loaded, is coming out of town towards Summertown on the Banbury road ( on the left past Park Town) ....another where Motorists get nailed for straying a few mph over the limit( when Banbury road isnt nose to tail of course!)

..... the fixed camera / gatso at the top of Headington Hill ( heading towards the old Manor ground RIP) just past the entrance to Brookes is invariably 'live' ..... as is the fixed Camera/gatso on Marston Ferry link road close to the turn to Old Marston.
Even with the ongoing Headington access roadworkws ongoing, both gatsos seem to be 'live'

neither are serious accident blackspots, neither are sections of road where motorists generally drive at excessive speeds either, besides both have pedestrian crossing lights a few hundred yards beyond the gatsos..... simply cash cows cynically placed to entrap unsuspecting motorists, while often cyclists, invariably the head down lycra clad ninja types, steam past the cameras (and never get 'caught')

Another to place inside the ring road be mindful of, as its invariably live n loaded, is coming out of town towards Summertown on the Banbury road ( on the left past Park Town) ....another where Motorists get nailed for straying a few mph over the limit( when Banbury road isnt nose to tail of course!)

I think we can all agree that no-one should be doing a speed even approaching 30mph in Headington.

The correct way of driving is of course to drive respectfully like a hearse so as to pay respect to the Manor Ground.

Once you hit the ring road or city centre, feel free the drive a normal speed again.

Back
Top Bottom