Tvp speed trap this afternoon

I think we can all agree that no-one should be doing a speed even approaching 30mph in Headington.

The correct way of driving is of course to drive respectfully like a hearse so as to pay respect to the Manor Ground.

Once you hit the ring road or city centre, feel free the drive a normal speed again.
Indeedy.... though managing a steady 10mph average speed ,at peak times, is a near impossibility in the Headington area currently... :cool:

I think we can all agree that no-one should be doing a speed even approaching 30mph in Headington.

The correct way of driving is of course to drive respectfully like a hearse so as to pay respect to the Manor Ground.

Once you hit the ring road or city centre, feel free the drive a normal speed again.
Indeedy.... though managing a steady 10mph average speed ,at peak times, is a near impossibility in the Headington area currently... :cool:

Slight typo there. You’ve written Headington when I assume you meant to type Oxfordshire.

Just took me 25 mins from Barton to Bury Knowle in the car ?

Slight typo there. You’ve written Headington when I assume you meant to type Oxfordshire.
Fair call @MJB .... though I did mean Headington specifically! ( applicable for another 9 months at least too) ...though for certain pretty much anywhere within the confines of the city ring road ARE snail like at peak times, ditto a few approaches to n from Oxford city, out in the County, ...however also, some roads in the county dont tend to be too slow ( roadworks n accident delays excepted)

Im hoping the A34 northbound isnt too busy later today :sneaky:

• React
Reactions: MJB
If the police keep having to go back to the same spot to catch speeding motorists, then there must surely be a problem with that particular road. Either the speed limit is set to low for the road or the road is too big for the speed limit.
If our roads were designed properly in the first place we wouldn't need speed traps, as a quick fix
I think that the concern is that often the police do not go to dangerous parts of the road network.
They go to places that are often the safest on the roads almost in order to catch more people and raise most money.
I don't speed generally but it irritates me to see police on totally safe roads trying to catch people whilst moaning about no resources to catch criminals!!

I think that the concern is that often the police do not go to dangerous parts of the road network.
They go to places that are often the safest on the roads almost in order to catch more people and raise most money.
I don't speed generally but it irritates me to see police on totally safe roads trying to catch people whilst moaning about no resources to catch criminals!!
Agree entirely @Foley

Fair call @MJB .... though I did mean Headington specifically! ( applicable for another 9 months at least too) ...though for certain pretty much anywhere within the confines of the city ring road ARE snail like at peak times, ditto a few approaches to n from Oxford city, out in the County, ...however also, some roads in the county dont tend to be too slow ( roadworks n accident delays excepted)

Im hoping the A34 northbound isnt too busy later today :sneaky:

All I know is that Tiger has been in charge for months now and he still hasn’t told us his plans for sorting out Oxford’s road network and I’m starting to worry that it’s not something he’s going to fix.

Mind you, we know from experience that the man prefers to get a train rather than driving into Oxford so he clearly knows better!

All I know is that Tiger has been in charge for months now and he still hasn’t told us his plans for sorting out Oxford’s road network and I’m starting to worry that it’s not something he’s going to fix.

Mind you, we know from experience that the man prefers to get a train rather than driving into Oxford so he clearly knows better!
isnt one of the train stations closed at the moment?.... or has it reopened now?...... been working away for a week n a half I have, so lost (err) track:unsure:

isnt one of the train stations closed at the moment?.... or has it reopened now?...... been working away for a week n a half I have, so lost (err) track:unsure:

Oxford main station is closed for 2 weeks due to track works.

I believe you’re right. Apologies to everyone for railroading this conversation away from talk of speed cameras.

As someone who often works very close to Headington Hill, I can say with certainty that there are very regular instances of dangerously fast driving. I’m not talking about cars nudging over 30mph, I’m talking about cars speeding up on the last section of the London Road and continuing down the hill at what looks and sounds to be speeds you’d expect of a dual carriageway or motorway.

I have no idea how many, if any, accidents this leads to but it happens a couple a times a day at least. Given the number of schools, cyclists, pedestrians, tourists, build ups of traffic and pedestrian crossings in the area, I’m not surprised that cameras are often in place.

Given that I drive down the hill virtually every weekday I’m regularly at risk of getting a speeding ticket myself but I don’t begrudge it given how a minority often seem to treat it as an opportunity to inappropriately put their foot down.
I lived I’m Marston for 26 years and I go through that junction on average twice a day, I’ve never seen an accident there not even a bump, I’ve never heard of a bad accident there or read of one, if there has been it would be the other way with the junction of st Clements and the Marston rd/ start of the hill,
I can understand having a camera at an accident black spot or on a dual carriageway where there’s a turnoff but that’s a cash cow out to screw the motorist.
What’s more dangerous, a car doing 35 or a cyclist doing 36, going straight through the lights, going straight on up the inside through st Clements when you are going to turn left into morrells avenue.

two seperate...albeit linked (both about gatso's) in todays Ox Mail

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16...rivers-caught-in-known-hotspots/?ref=mrb&lp=7

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16...peeding-on-botley-road-in-oxford/?ref=mr&lp=1

Amusingly, pedestrians (some) believe they are more accurate in judging how fast vehicles are travelling than calibrated machines designed to actually do that job ..... there was me thinking every village in England has to each have AN idiot.... it appears in certain Oxfordshire villages and suburbs, theres hordes of them :eek:

My local town has similar people in who are highly accurate speed cameras (usually middle aged women). and the court eligible facts or the police are wrong. The ironic thing is when the police clamped down on the dangerous "rat runners" who "terrorise the streets" after months of a "terrified mother" campaigning, they caught a load of locals instead. Suddenly, "terrified mother" went awfully quiet.

My local town has similar people in who are highly accurate speed cameras (usually middle aged women). and the court eligible facts or the police are wrong. The ironic thing is when the police clamped down on the dangerous "rat runners" who "terrorise the streets" after months of a "terrified mother" campaigning, they caught a load of locals instead. Suddenly, "terrified mother" went awfully quiet.
sounds familiar @Gary Baldi :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom