Matches Tuesday night games

This is the problem with computer generated fixtures.
In the 'Good old days' a certain amount of fixtures were hand picked to mitigate travel etc.
Its not even that. the EFL came out and said they were actively putting fixtures that are likely to have fewer travelling fans midweek.

I dont think Season Ticket holders will worry too much. It would be great to walk up the East Stand terracing, look back, and see the North and South stand seats fairly full.
True I’m just thinking back when a few not many complained I think this was when DE was chairman.

I`m not buying the "aggrieved ST holders" as they are a different type of customer. As long as they are looked after in some other way that is easily mitigated.

If tickets for every game cost a tenner then I wouldn’t buy a season ticket for £300 and upwards, I am thick but even I can work a calculator.

Not every game...... take the batch of Tuesday only games, if they were offered at "Adults for £10 if you bring a kid" would that change you buying a ST?
Or would you think "Great idea" to get the next generation in?

Not every game...... take the batch of Tuesday only games, if they were offered at "Adults for £10 if you bring a kid" would that change you buying a ST?
Or would you think "Great idea" to get the next generation in?

Just do kids for a quid as standard and the Adult pays the usual price. Works out similar (unless bringing a gaggle of kids), I can't see a problem for season ticket holders to have with this and possibly build the next generation of fan.

Just do kids for a quid as standard and the Adult pays the usual price. Works out similar (unless bringing a gaggle of kids), I can't see a problem for season ticket holders to have with this and possibly build the next generation of fan.
I think the only problem a ST would have with this would be if a lot of concessions were given to non ST holders and ST holders might I ask “ what about us “ I do remember when the pandemic first started and we couldn’t go to games and 2/3 were asking for a refund now that I thought was out of order.

I think the only problem a ST would have with this would be if a lot of concessions were given to non ST holders and ST holders might I ask “ what about us “ I do remember when the pandemic first started and we couldn’t go to games and 2/3 were asking for a refund now that I thought was out of order.

Hotdog and a coffee do you? :)

Tough luck to those who moan and I say that as a Season Ticket holder who won't see a game in the flesh this season.

Whilst this is about Tuesday night games, you have to remember that most people won't be getting home until 10 - 10.30. That's too late for younger kids, and whilst some will make the exception for the likes of Man City, its unlikely that you'd see hundreds taking up the offer of a free ticket against Accrington or Shrewsbury.

It's not that we don't do night games, but it was a push for my eldest, but impossible for the youngest. More recently we've got an ifollow pass for evening games with the youngest watching the first staff, and eldest watching the whole game, but both in their pj's and straight to bed.

So it's not just about free tickets and give aways.

• React
Reactions: GRB
Kids for a quid for every game sod that I payed £70 each for my two boys ST I’d demand compensation 🤣

Kids for a quid for every game sod that I payed £70 each for my two boys ST I’d demand compensation 🤣

From memory, the first two or three seasons at the KasStad was KFAQ for plenty of matches. I know my first experiences attending was on that deal.

I take @Scotchegg's point that it makes it a very late finish for youngsters, especially now we're back to 7.45 KOs again in the evening. Those 7pm KOs for EFL Trophy matches seemed like a good idea when games were locked down although I can see that with fans returning, those extra 45 minutes are needed to get people into the ground.

Are we getting a bit hung up on Tuesday night attendances? They're never going to be anything that special. I looked at the attendance numbers from this season against our matches against those from 2019-20 before the pandemic hit.

This season, we've played three midweek league fixtures with an average of 6,058 in attendance. In 2019-20, we played four midweek league fixtures at an average of 6,520. The latter number is higher because of the visit of Ipswich who I believe were visiting the KasStad for the first time and we had 8,191 in for that. Omit that anomaly and the average falls to 5,962 - less than this season's average. Note these are League home fixtures only and exclude any games played on national holidays that had a 3pm KO like Boxing Day. It looks at evening KOs only.

We're tracking at the same or marginally better rate of attendance than a couple of seasons ago. Add to this that we're still against the backdrop of the pandemic and the EFL has thrust not-so-appealing fixtures onto Tuesday nights and you get what you get. I welcome initiatives to get a few more bums on seats - more fans makes for a generally better atmosphere - but don't expect sell outs when the opposition coming to town is Accrington and Shrewsbury.

From memory, the first two or three seasons at the KasStad was KFAQ for plenty of matches. I know my first experiences attending was on that deal.

I take @Scotchegg's point that it makes it a very late finish for youngsters, especially now we're back to 7.45 KOs again in the evening. Those 7pm KOs for EFL Trophy matches seemed like a good idea when games were locked down although I can see that with fans returning, those extra 45 minutes are needed to get people into the ground.

Are we getting a bit hung up on Tuesday night attendances? They're never going to be anything that special. I looked at the attendance numbers from this season against our matches against those from 2019-20 before the pandemic hit.

This season, we've played three midweek league fixtures with an average of 6,058 in attendance. In 2019-20, we played four midweek league fixtures at an average of 6,520. The latter number is higher because of the visit of Ipswich who I believe were visiting the KasStad for the first time and we had 8,191 in for that. Omit that anomaly and the average falls to 5,962 - less than this season's average. Note these are League home fixtures only and exclude any games played on national holidays that had a 3pm KO like Boxing Day. It looks at evening KOs only.

We're tracking at the same or marginally better rate of attendance than a couple of seasons ago. Add to this that we're still against the backdrop of the pandemic and the EFL has thrust not-so-appealing fixtures onto Tuesday nights and you get what you get. I welcome initiatives to get a few more bums on seats - more fans makes for a generally better atmosphere - but don't expect sell outs when the opposition coming to town is Accrington and Shrewsbury.
with roadworks, LTNs and unco-ordinated traffic lights on, and around the Oxford ring-road, and seemingly 'everywhere' inside the ring -road a 7.45pm kick off is only just do-able for some ..... travelling from Marston to BBleys took just under an hour on Tuesday night (V Shrewsbury) and it took similarly as long for the match V Accrington on a Tuesday night a few weeks ago .... my dad and sister travelling to the match from Kidlington, have seen their travel time increase a lot post lockdown restrictions being lifted , especially for Tues night game ( including the PJT V Stevenage with its lower attendance)

agree that Tues night night games are never that special, at least in general terms - there have been and will be exception , such as home cup games on Tuesday nights ( like V WHU, Citeh x2 and others ... and local derby cup/trophy games too )

I do actually agree with the kids for a quid and also cheaper adults tickets but only if it puts more bums on seats regularly it’s makes no difference to me having a ST I’d rather a fuller crowd with better atmosphere also gets the kids and parents in cheap and that would hopefully create new fans

with roadworks, LTNs and unco-ordinated traffic lights on, and around the Oxford ring-road, and seemingly 'everywhere' inside the ring -road a 7.45pm kick off is only just do-able for some ..... travelling from Marston to BBleys took just under an hour on Tuesday night (V Shrewsbury) and it took similarly as long for the match V Accrington on a Tuesday night a few weeks ago .... my dad and sister travelling to the match from Kidlington, have seen their travel time increase a lot post lockdown restrictions being lifted , especially for Tues night game ( including the PJT V Stevenage with its lower attendance)

agree that Tues night night games are never that special, at least in general terms - there have been and will be exception , such as home cup games on Tuesday nights ( like V WHU, Citeh x2 and others ... and local derby cup/trophy games too )

Fair point on the traffic situation, @Sarge. For a city that has built it's fair share of cars, lord knows it wasn't designed to keep any of them in it! It may be a post for the consortium/new stadium threads, but I do hope that public transport and ease-of-access are part of the plan of any future stadium plans. The 40+ minute slog on the #1/#5 bus from the train station to Grenoble Road renders public transport a no-go option for midweek fans from out of town. If it's taking an hour from Marston to BBL, jeez ... I'd cycle a bike up there if I could find somewhere proper to lock it.

We have some damn sexy attendances on midweek nights when the opposition make it a tastier fixture. In 2019-20, we had 10,450 against West Ham, 11,108 against Sunderland, 11,817 against Man City and 11,520 against Newcastle. Three of those four were televised and one was on BBC too. Compare those to the early rounds when we played Peterborough in front of 2798 and Millwall with 3693 and it shows the lure of a big side brings people out. It shows that Ox4Eva's constant misery over our attendances and lack of support is nonsense. The people of Oxford(shire) do come out in numbers for the big matches.

I do actually agree with the kids for a quid and also cheaper adults tickets but only if it puts more bums on seats regularly it’s makes no difference to me having a ST I’d rather a fuller crowd with better atmosphere also gets the kids and parents in cheap and that would hopefully create new fans

I think it does help. It creates a good birthday party idea too where you can take a load of kids along as an adult too. That said, the club can't just think about attendance numbers though. A full stadium of bargain tickets doesn't help the bottom line much. Season tickets are (largely) paid up front so the part timers who buy tickets occasionally or decide last minute are the sort who keep cash coming through the gates. Securing an extra 500 of those on the gate each game at £20 a ticket is £10,000 extra per match. Throw in any extra spending they may do (programme, food, merchandise etc) and it adds up.

Maybe if EFL policy is to stick fewer fixtures where fans are less likely to travel, the club should be firing off initiatives. Don't think too much about a return but more on focusing on those part-time fans returning for one or two extra matches where they normally wouldn't turn out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom