International News Donald Trump 🍊🇺🇸

I don't think anyone will accuse me of being a Trump-supporter (!!!), but in this particular case, I can't find any reference in anything he has said to the colour/ethnicity of this Democrat or the inhabitants of the area he represents. He was (in typical Trump fashion) just knee jerk reacting to criticism of his policies on the Tex/Mex border with a rant, which though typically childish and superficial is not overtly racist. Or have I missed something?

I don't think anyone will accuse me of being a Trump-supporter (!!!), but in this particular case, I can't find any reference in anything he has said to the colour/ethnicity of this Democrat or the inhabitants of the area he represents. He was (in typical Trump fashion) just knee jerk reacting to criticism of his policies on the Tex/Mex border with a rant, which though typically childish and superficial is not overtly racist. Or have I missed something?

My take is it is use of language and the negative connotations attached to it describing a predominantly black area.

He doesn't seem to do it when attacking white opponents (unless I've missed it which is obviously possible) or go after their wards but does for black/Asian opponents/critics. When going after white opponents, he seems to attack them personally.

Furthermore, it is utterly unnecessary, why attack the Democrat lawmaker through his ward (or whatever the correct term is) and its inhabitants?!

Does Nancy Pelosi consider Bernie Sanders a racist too?
EAllm7jXYAEDH3i.jpg

The comments from Cummings about the conditions at the border are ironic at best, negligent at worst when he's been representing an area since 1996 that been a sad case for endemic and sustained poverty, crime, and neglect that shows no prospect of getting better. A sad indictment of where some politicians on all sides cannot see the wood for the trees. A good reason why term limits can be a good thing.

I actually found that an interesting response. And yes, I do enjoy the 'back and forth', at least with yourself, EssexYellows and the more thinking contributors of the right.

There are plenty of things I believe in, not least liberal policies and fair-minded attitudes towards fellow human beings. I have yet to see either attribute in Trump, so I remain 100% negative towards him. I'm not interested in establishing a left wing echo chamber on the forum, but 'people like me' will always counter the rubbish emanating from POTUS' mouth, and I'm quite proud of the fact that I continue to be outraged by Trump's outpourings and actions.

You may interpret his tweets and ad hoc statements and unwise off the cuff comments as part of a coordinated campaign to offend neoliberalism, but I see it as pure contemptible ignorance.
President Trump very much spouts ? at times, and I would never deny it. My interest comes from a place of collective consistency and historical relevance.

Trump and the media are in a symbiotic relationship where they are sustained by what he says because it makes money, and he is sustained as it speaks to his managing his ego. But, it distort and embellish stuff - part of the reason he uses Twitter so much as it removes media spins on what he says for his supporters.

However, the ludicrous stuff around a nuclear war with North Korea is a good example where the hysteria over Trump is both misguided and creating a perceptive reality that did not exist. Anyone who poked around his past would know he doesn't like war and has no interest in it as it is bad for business, whereas Hilary Clinton is a hawk for War, so while the words were there, he was never going to back it up with bombs and not Nuclear ones. This further speaks to Iran and where he will go. He likes the military to project power rather than use it as a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Talk is, he likes doing diplomacy with John Bolton because he can play the good cop to Bolton's militaristic bad cop. If we can't deal, this man is more than happy to go to war.

I appreciate its easy to look at the facade and hate it and think it is dumb. But Trump is far complex than he comes across. For one, he is very much a softer person in private but that really doesn't sell adverts or newspapers does it? I don't agree with some of the Blexit movement, but seeing the cultural change in that movement is interesting. The question I cannot answer on it is why are so many young African-Americans supporting a Republican party that is led by a "racist" president in Trump? Have they realised, as with Baltimore, that perhaps Democrats don't have their best interests at heart. But why now with Trump?

The Trump vs. Elijah Cummings tweet battle is the whole Trump presidency in a nutshell.

Firstly, because Trump's tweet was, as usual, hopelessly ignorant, mis-informed and most likely prejudiced. The Maryland 7th district is actually above average, for the US, on median household income and well above the national average in terms of smallest % of residents in poverty.
It does, however, have some pretty shitty areas - it's where much of The Wire was filmed and set - and the violence in those areas is horrifically bad.

Trump saw/heard/read something about those areas, decided without thinking to extrapolate it to the entire district, and then wrapped it up with some distinctly offensive language. And then tweeted it without bothering to fact check.

And secondly because of the reaction that it spawned i.e. loud accusations of racism and general media sensationalism and outrage. It genuinely is true in the US that the Main Stream Media is skewed to the left (unlike in Britain, where the print media at least is idealogically evenly spread) but their response to everything Trump does is becoming tiresomely shrill and predictable.

The MSM, despite being opposed to him almost across the board, basically allows Trump to drive the narrative, and has done since he burst onto the scene in 2015. He - or at least the Republicans - have actually lost almost every significant political battle in his two and a half years in power. They lost on healthcare, and Obamacare is still the law of the land. They lost repeatedly on the budget battles. They lost recently on the upcoming census questions. Aside from the appointment of a significant number of conservative judges (which any Republican president could have achieved), then everything else than Trump has done in office - with the solitary exception of one tax bill - could be overturned very quickly by the next Democrat incumbent.

But instead of engaging on those meaningful political points, or indeed on any points of substance, they allow Trump time and again to turn the news of the day into a partisan shouting match, which is doing nothing but further dividing the nation on its partisan lines.

In case you can't tell, I find it monumentally frustrating. But I guess it sells them papers and/or raises advertising $$s.

Yep. Outrage sells. It's one been one long thing from Not My President, Russia, North Korea, Russia, Impeachment, Kavanaugh, Russia, North Korea, Mueller, Impeachment, Russia, etc, etc. The problem is the media have become less journalists, and more reaction bloggers in recent times, selling the outrage but not the story. Where has the impartiality gone?

Had to laugh today.
Trump has threatened to tax French wine in retaliation to their policy to tax Amazon and two other internet companies.
Trump said French wine was not as good as US made wine...he’s teetotal, and then maintained US wine looks better

Does Nancy Pelosi consider Bernie Sanders a racist too?
View attachment 1880

Did you actually watch the the video on ? Tell me that it is in anyway similar to Trump's disgusting "infestation" comments?
The difference seems obvious to me. Sanders was clearly laying blame at the establishment of the richest country. Trump just calls them an infestation. Oldskool victim-blaming, the popular choice of despots.

Why are you so insistent on defending Trump's bigotry? Surely you don't think Sanders words were equally bigotted? If you do, I'd love to read an explanation.

Had to laugh today.
Trump has threatened to tax French wine in retaliation to their policy to tax Amazon and two other internet companies.
Trump said French wine was not as good as US made wine...he’s teetotal, and then maintained US wine looks better
He has a winery, so would promote it. But it looks better. Tosser.

• React
Reactions: m
Did you actually watch the the video on ? Tell me that it is in anyway similar to Trump's disgusting "infestation" comments?
The difference seems obvious to me. Sanders was clearly laying blame at the establishment of the richest country. Trump just calls them an infestation. Oldskool victim-blaming, the popular choice of despots.

Why are you so insistent on defending Trump's bigotry? Surely you don't think Sanders words were equally bigotted? If you do, I'd love to read an explanation.
It's merely the simplistic presentation of the comments. It's no different to how Trump's stuff is presented - the fine people comment being one. I'd bet a decent wager most people don't read anything deeper about Trump other than headlines or soundbites on social media. Which is ok.

Even the Mayor of Baltimore (https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-...-smell-rats-baltimore-mayor-told-tv-news-2018) is on camera saying the area stunk of dead animals/rats. The comments about Cummings are not racist - but you don't agree with them. Baltimore is a dump with massive socio-economic problems. What has Cummings done for his constituents? Prove to me that Baltimore is not a crime and rodent infested dump? It'll be pretty hard to do.

I think Sanders is bigoted, but in different ways. He has no tolerance for those who don't believe in his views - basically if you believe in free markets, Uncle Bernie don't like you and wants your money and has the sort of mentality that will only cause long term pain if he ever got into office. He's really not a very nice man and a pretty rank hypocrite too! When his cmpaign staff asked for the $15 an hour minimum wage, he gave it to them and reduced their hours! https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...46e594de5d5_story.html?utm_term=.963a25d5c399

Sadly, yesterday showed the indiscriminate violence from both sides of the political spectrum in its most grotesque, raw and ugly form - violence that has been there for years and years and rears its head far too often.

If ever there was the need for the media, social media firms and politicians of all flavours to take it down a notch or two, now is the time. There is far too much hatred and intolerance of people and their views, rushing to judge to get clicks, and not enough tolerance and understanding that we are all different. Until we stop demonising and marginalising people, violence will always be there as an expression of anger, frustration, etc from those who don't feel they are listened to.

Sadly, another nut job with a grudge will pop up again soon, and the whole cycle will repeat itself. :(

Just the regular far left nonsense in the fight against "evil" right? I note the multiple use of the "Concentration Camp" phrase, one of AOCs own.

Still, at least there is some good in the world eh?

The Baltimore Sun takes something good and still tries to make it look bad

640372_1.jpg

On the face of it, it's a kind of weird idea, but not the first time that a US President has considered it either.

Back
Top Bottom