Trump watch (2)

Marked Ox

It doesn't look it now - much to the consternation of traditional conservatives. They are debt fuelled and reliant on the coming recession not hitting them so hard.

The thing with Acosta is there were plenty of other pushy journos at that presser asking awkward questions of the Donald, but they didn't step over the line and act like a dick. He's made himself into this bizarre martyr with Trump with his seeming constant desire to be put down in public - I suppose it shows how far CNN has fallen that they think its acceptable. Leave it Fox News (or Breitbart) right? My gut feel is this one of those football bookings for persistent offending, rather than an attempt to remove free speech.

And Acosta can still report, but the privilege of being the White House has been removed.
And yet Trump has praised another in a tweet for standing up to Obama in a similar way. Considering Trump was being called out on spouting bullshit again and has constantly attacked any media that isn't pro him, I would suggest it is an attack on free speech. It has been sufficient for the Chair of the Federal Communications Commission to remind Trump of the rules so they clearly are thinking along those lines.

Gary Baldi

Also, Acosta was actually calling out Trump on a bullshit claim and Trump lost it when he knew he had been called out on the lie so a reasonable point of challenge.

I like this Republican Senator's response to Trump and his hissy fit:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics...0430279&id=50430279&__twitter_impression=true

I can see a potential legal challenge over the "fraudulent claims" by Trump's regime (he has used that term):

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...crats-trump-republicans-house-latest-livemade by Trump's regime:
And other journos did it too from various organisations, so it was not unique to him - but Acosta being a spotlight hog made an a**e of himself again - the format of a pooled press conferences is set, but he persists with his grand standing stupidity and at times, not asking a question! Acosta had had 3 questions after all, so if he'd been less of a dick, he'd have worked with other journos to keep ramming the point home or got to the point quicker. He did neither.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/jim-acosta-violated-one-of-the-oldest-rules-of-journalism

Gary Baldi

And BTW. I dislike the tone of the media and Trump equally. This sort of BS does no one any good, and I wish it would stop. Asking supporters to go to people's homes, to harangue them in public is just not on at all. This election has been a complete disgrace in that regard.

Marked Ox

And other journos did it too from various organisations, so it was not unique to him - but Acosta being a spotlight hog made an a**e of himself again - the format of a pooled press conferences is set, but he persists with his grand standing stupidity and at times, not asking a question! Acosta had had 3 questions after all, so if he'd been less of a dick, he'd have worked with other journos to keep ramming the point home or got to the point quicker. He did neither.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/jim-acosta-violated-one-of-the-oldest-rules-of-journalism
Trump had a go at 3 reporters in that Press Conference and his regime has potentially made up a 'fraudulent claim' to justify his hissy fit against what was a valid claim by Acosta still stands. That the Chair of the FCC has decided to make comment suggests there is a serious concern over free speech.

I hope Acosta takes legal action against Trump's regime over this. The

Gary Baldi

Trump had a go at 3 reporters in that Press Conference and his regime has potentially made up a 'fraudulent claim' to justify his hissy fit against what was a valid claim by Acosta still stands. That the Chair of the FCC has decided to make comment suggests there is a serious concern over free speech.

I hope Acosta takes legal action against Trump's regime over this. The
Acosta can still report on the WH, can still speak on TV, can still Tweet - where has his freedom of speech been removed? Access to the WH is a privilege for an exclusive minority, not a right for the majority. I can't go there and demand to be let in. to a press conference

CNN can still report from there, as it's only Acosta that been suspended, - it's not a permanent exclusion either. They even had other reporters in the room yesterday. Acosta finally pushed it too far with the aggression/anger/petulance towards the young female intern, and has been called for it. A proper journalist would not act in that matter. Plenty of others managed to act professionally after all.

Marked Ox

Acosta can still report on the WH, can still speak on TV, can still Tweet - where has his freedom of speech been removed? Access to the WH is a privilege for an exclusive minority, not a right for the majority. I can't go there and demand to be let in. to a press conference

CNN can still report from there, as it's only Acosta that been suspended, - it's not a permanent exclusion either. They even had other reporters in the room yesterday. Acosta finally pushed it too far with the aggression/anger/petulance towards the young female intern, and has been called for it. A proper journalist would not act in that matter. Plenty of others managed to act professionally after all.
Ask the FCC about freedom of Speech as I would suggest this is the straw that broke the Camel's back situation with Trump's actions and comments about the media as far as they are concerned. Considering the videos, apparently making up spurious claims to ban journalists might have pushed it that way.

Gary Baldi

Ask the FCC about freedom of Speech as I would suggest this is the straw that broke the Camel's back situation with Trump's actions and comments about the media as far as they are concerned. Considering the videos, apparently making up spurious claims to ban journalists might have pushed it that way.
The video is a classic example of confirmation bias. If you believe she was assaulted, you'll see it. Etc. It's little different to what Corey Lewandowski did, if you are slanted as such, you say assault.

I'm sure the FCC can waste time on a law suit, but CNN are still able to report from the WH and it is a suspension, so I struggle to see how they will do anything but enrich a bunch of lawyers and divide an already divided political bases even further. It's not like the Trump Administration has wiretapped media opponents or such things.

I might suggest that the FCC have bigger fish to fry as well. If CNN were blanket banned, the case would be stronger.

Perhaps Acosta saying I was out of line would put a line under this mess. I've become the story, rather than reporting on it. Would take the wind from Trumps sails wouldn't it?

Marked Ox

The video is a classic example of confirmation bias. If you believe she was assaulted, you'll see it. Etc. It's little different to what Corey Lewandowski did, if you are slanted as such, you say assault.

I'm sure the FCC can waste time on a law suit, but CNN are still able to report from the WH and it is a suspension, so I struggle to see how they will do anything but enrich a bunch of lawyers and divide an already divided political bases even further. It's not like the Trump Administration has wiretapped media opponents or such things.

I might suggest that the FCC have bigger fish to fry as well. If CNN were blanket banned, the case would be stronger.

Perhaps Acosta saying I was out of line would put a line under this mess. I've become the story, rather than reporting on it. Would take the wind from Trumps sails wouldn't it?
You really think Acosta apologising would take the wind out of Trump's sails? I could only see that emboldening Trump.

The thing with Acosta is there were plenty of other pushy journos at that presser asking awkward questions of the Donald, but they didn't step over the line and act like a dick. He's made himself into this bizarre martyr with Trump with his seeming constant desire to be put down in public - I suppose it shows how far CNN has fallen that they think its acceptable. Leave it Fox News (or Breitbart) right? My gut feel is this one of those football bookings for persistent offending, rather than an attempt to remove free speech.

And Acosta can still report, but the privilege of being the White House has been removed.
Hmmm .... maybe. Seems to me that Acosta IS controversial, and loves being so. But Trump is reaping what he sows. Essentially, Trump is like a spoilt kid who yells 'bully' whenever anyone is beastly to him. He doesn't like the press not fawning over him and has even managed to annoy Fox recently. He's alienated the Fourth Estate, but still expects to be treated like some untouchable deity by them.

Most politicians find it easy to deal with 'difficult' reporters, but Trump's response was to ban Acosta. OK, only from the White House, but that's where a huge percentage of presidential outpourings happen. It's censorship.

Quite obviously I can't stand Trump (his politics, the way he acts as president, his racism and misogyny, his lying etc) and that has undoubtedly clouded my views of how he interacts with people, including the press. Happy to read anything that makes him sound more human, caring and reasonable, but won't hold my breath.

Hmmm .... maybe. Seems to me that Acosta IS controversial, and loves being so. But Trump is reaping what he sows. Essentially, Trump is like a spoilt kid who yells 'bully' whenever anyone is beastly to him. He doesn't like the press not fawning over him and has even managed to annoy Fox recently. He's alienated the Fourth Estate, but still expects to be treated like some untouchable deity by them.

Most politicians find it easy to deal with 'difficult' reporters, but Trump's response was to ban Acosta. OK, only from the White House, but that's where a huge percentage of presidential outpourings happen. It's censorship.

Quite obviously I can't stand Trump (his politics, the way he acts as president, his racism and misogyny, his lying etc) and that has undoubtedly clouded my views of how he interacts with people, including the press. Happy to read anything that makes him sound more human, caring and reasonable, but won't hold my breath.
People that like him wouldn't make the argument that he is human, caring and reasonable. People that like him would make the argument that he's a brash, arrogant American.

You can't stand Trump for the very same reason so many people love him. In that respect, he is a unique individual.

People that like him wouldn't make the argument that he is human, caring and reasonable. People that like him would make the argument that he's a brash, arrogant American.

You can't stand Trump for the very same reason so many people love him. In that respect, he is a unique individual.
He is, and you're right. He doesn't give a toss what people think of him, as long as enough of them can be persuaded to vote for him.

He is, and you're right. He doesn't give a toss what people think of him, as long as enough of them can be persuaded to vote for him.
Do you think he'll get a second term?

Also, interesting news about Ruth Bader Ginsberg - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46142226

You wonder what the US will look like in 10/15 years if he is able to shoehorn another hard-righter into the Supreme Court (not that I know anything about US politics).

Marked Ox

Do you think he'll get a second term?

Also, interesting news about Ruth Bader Ginsberg - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46142226

You wonder what the US will look like in 10/15 years if he is able to shoehorn another hard-righter into the Supreme Court (not that I know anything about US politics).
Sadly I think he will get a 2nd term.

In terms of the Supreme Court I fully expect a challenge to abortion rights.

Yes, I think he’ll get a second term too. He’s already ratcheting up the ‘fear the foreigner’ line to get his supporters excited, and the Democrats have no apparent candidate to take him on. Will be interesting to see who takes on the Donald role in the election after next.

Gary Baldi

You really think Acosta apologising would take the wind out of Trump's sails? I could only see that emboldening Trump.
No. But it would help to slow down some of the other vitriol and show a deal of respect and understanding to the intern - let's face it, if Trump did that to a woman, the press would pee their pants with anger. I suspect he'll just double down on his victimhood.

And likewise, the media expect to treated the same way, then the make stuff up or don't fact check the basics. Both sides, plus the Dems, have to take a long hard look at themselves and tone it down. The media cannot sit in a tower of self righteous outrage.

Acosta has been acting like that for months - he made an a**e of himself when Trump visited the UK. He bleats about Trump being immature, but just apes the behaviour. Him crying wolf is a hoot! An absolute hoot.

Out of interest. What do you think about CNNs efforts to get people like InfoWars (morons) removed from Social Media platforms? Seeing as they care so much about freedom of speech at the moment, they have an unsavoury obsession over Alex Jones (stupid idiot) and removing his freedom of speech from platforms. It's no loss, but still.

The whole thing is a sordid affair and I just wish the media would (again) not get sucked in by Trump. They are complain bitterly but cannot help themselves.

Marked Ox

No. But it would help to slow down some of the other vitriol and show a deal of respect and understanding to the intern - let's face it, if Trump did that to a woman, the press would pee their pants with anger. I suspect he'll just double down on his victimhood.

And likewise, the media expect to treated the same way, then the make stuff up or don't fact check the basics. Both sides, plus the Dems, have to take a long hard look at themselves and tone it down. The media cannot sit in a tower of self righteous outrage.

Acosta has been acting like that for months - he made an a**e of himself when Trump visited the UK. He bleats about Trump being immature, but just apes the behaviour. Him crying wolf is a hoot! An absolute hoot.

Out of interest. What do you think about CNNs efforts to get people like InfoWars (morons) removed from Social Media platforms? Seeing as they care so much about freedom of speech at the moment, they have an unsavoury obsession over Alex Jones (stupid idiot) and removing his freedom of speech from platforms. It's no loss, but still.

The whole thing is a sordid affair and I just wish the media would (again) not get sucked in by Trump. They are complain bitterly but cannot help themselves.
Why should he apologise after she attempted to grab the microphone, she initiated the contact so why is Acosta being disrespectful? I would say the same if it was Trump in a reverse position by the way. Acosta did not push her away or initiate contact so the White House/Trump are making rubbish up. I hope Acosta considers legal action for defamation of character if the White House doesn't drop this ridiculous ban.

Peterdev

The concern I have that Pete has too is that there is no credible opposition to Trump. I don’t like Trump as he hates the rest of the world and pretends to put America first. At least 50% of the USA can’t stand him, and that includes the young, women and ethnic minorities, some of whom helped him into power.
The outcome of the mid term elections in America have produced a calming influence on the financial markets, because Trump will have to try and be more engaging with the Democrats. Two years time, I think that will work in Trumps favour in the presidential elections. There is nobody with charisma emerging on the Democratic side to properly challenge Trump.
Unfortunately it may well be we have to put up with six more long years of Trump

Gary Baldi

Why should he apologise after she attempted to grab the microphone, she initiated the contact so why is Acosta being disrespectful? I would say the same if it was Trump in a reverse position by the way. Acosta did not push her away or initiate contact so the White House/Trump are making rubbish up. I hope Acosta considers legal action for defamation of character if the White House doesn't drop this ridiculous ban.
Simply, because that is what the form of the press conference is - you have a mic, ask a questions, when your question is done (and you don't get 5 questions), you give the mic up to the intern and sit down. If he thinks he is a professional, he gives it up.

In today's rather hyped climate, he has to apologise first for the contact (it's there, no matter how people obfuscate on it) and second for his attitude towards the intern. But I assume he's picked a hill he's willing to die on. Considering what people are forced to apologise for nowadays, Acosta has to do it too. I'm sure Trump would love a lawsuit and love the attention he can get on the "fake news" networks. I'd advise the opposite. Apologise to the intern, calm it down for a few weeks and get back to the job. Stop being the story!

The concern I have that Pete has too is that there is no credible opposition to Trump. I don’t like Trump as he hates the rest of the world and pretends to put America first. At least 50% of the USA can’t stand him, and that includes the young, women and ethnic minorities, some of whom helped him into power.
The outcome of the mid term elections in America have produced a calming influence on the financial markets, because Trump will have to try and be more engaging with the Democrats. Two years time, I think that will work in Trumps favour in the presidential elections. There is nobody with charisma emerging on the Democratic side to properly challenge Trump.
Unfortunately it may well be we have to put up with six more long years of Trump
And to add. The Dems have a split between the moderates and radicals. They were hoping someone like Beto O'Rourke would beat Cruz, but as he didn't, they have an issue trying to find a candidate that can be beat Trump and unite the party.

It's worth noting, the Senate candidates Trump personally endorsed, won. Those who didn't lost.

Marked Ox

Simply, because that is what the form of the press conference is - you have a mic, ask a questions, when your question is done (and you don't get 5 questions), you give the mic up to the intern and sit down. If he thinks he is a professional, he gives it up.

In today's rather hyped climate, he has to apologise first for the contact (it's there, no matter how people obfuscate on it) and second for his attitude towards the intern. But I assume he's picked a hill he's willing to die on. Considering what people are forced to apologise for nowadays, Acosta has to do it too. I'm sure Trump would love a lawsuit and love the attention he can get on the "fake news" networks. I'd advise the opposite. Apologise to the intern, calm it down for a few weeks and get back to the job. Stop being the story!

And to add. The Dems have a split between the moderates and radicals. They were hoping someone like Beto O'Rourke would beat Cruz, but as he didn't, they have an issue trying to find a candidate that can be beat Trump and unite the party.

It's worth noting, the Senate candidates Trump personally endorsed, won. Those who didn't lost.
Yes, there is contact and she initiated it, so she should apologise to him on that basis. Even the zoomed in pictures put out by Infowars confirm that!

I don't think anyone can deny the obvious presidential power Trump has, or the influence
Yes, there is contact and she initiated it, so she should apologise to him on that basis. Even the zoomed in pictures put out by Infowars confirm that!
Can't understand why this issue is even being debated. We've all seen the incident in slow motion. The intern tries to grab the mic, Acosta pulls the mic back towards him as he's not ready to relinquish it (which I suspect is the real issue here). There is no physical contact between the two. Even if there was a brushing of arms (there wasn't) how that could be blown up into some sort of assault is baffling.

@Gary Baldi rightly calls for calm on all sides, and in this instance the hysteria is totally unjustified.

Top Bottom