Trialists

gofish2

I may have missed something but were there any on the tour?

Believe they said there were some involved in the training. But not playing in the games.

I believe we couldn't afford the costs of their flights back, which of course we would have been liable for if they had appeared in any of the friendlies

I believe we couldn't afford the costs of their flights back, which of course we would have been liable for if they had appeared in any of the friendlies

The club got maximum value as we're so poor by sending them back as foot passengers on the ferry. They'll still be hitchhiking the rest of the way home.

Over the years how many trialists have we signed, must be a tiny percentage.

The most successful one I can remember is Mark Angel. No doubt there are others but buggered if I can remember them.

Christophe Remy came on trial - played a pre-season friendly at Newcastle Town as a triallist. Matt le Tissier once had a trial at the club, but was told he wasn't good enough. He went on to have a pretty good career elsewhere...

Martin Aldridge signed after a trial.

Martin Aldridge was signed directly from Northampton Town in December 1995, not a free agent on trial in the pre-season at all. I was at the club doing work experience at the time and remember it very well!

Martin Aldridge was signed directly from Northampton Town in December 1995, not a free agent on trial in the pre-season at all. I was at the club doing work experience at the time and remember it very well!
Ah my bad. It’s funny how the memory plays tricks at my age! ?

Did you see Mark Angel when he came back as one of Rosies half time guests, he looked like a cross between a Farmer and with skin tight jeans, a right "Jack the Lad". According those in the know at the time "He Was"
Good for us in his prime

Back
Top Bottom