Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry has gone from being essential to a player who plays well about one in four games.

Henry is still very much one of the first names in the starting lineup for me. He gets both goals and assists from midfield and generally makes good decisions. He's not very physically imposing but I really think he's made for a role further forward in the spaces behind the strikers and wingers.

Gorrin wasn't 100%. He was one of those who was isolating because of covid, and like Long and McGuane, all had missed out on competitive preseason game time. We were told that 3 of the squad had tested positive, so maybe it was these three and a little precaution was needed to ensure that there were no lasting impacts.

The criticism being fired at Robinson was that he was trying to be clever, but isn't it far more likely that we selected players based on their fitness data? And once you take Gorrin and McGuane out of the middle, then Brannagan, Henry and Sykes become to sensible choice - especially when they played together for the last quarter of last season.
Fair enough Scotchers, I will concede that with certain players still lacking a bit of fitness due to a disjointed preseason after the COVID issues, Robbo’s hands were slightly tied with regards to the lineup he chose, something I did earlier admit to overlooking.

I think it was due to the fact I was very frustrated at how he’d chosen to leave Agyei as an unused sub, yet again, when the game was screaming out for someone just like him, not Winnall, to come on and kill the game off, and I stand by my opinion on that matter, Robbo got that one wrong.

But hopefully once the likes of Gorrin, McGuane and Long are up to speed, players will be deployed in their more natural roles, and we’ll really see what this team is capable of.

I'll give it a go!

In any game when you are dominating, and for periods we were, you need to score goals. No sh!t Sherlock, eh! We scored one and, as everyone who has ever watched a game of football will know, going into the last part of a match at 1-0 against *anyone* is a dangerous game to play. You fall just that bit further back, invite just that bit more pressure and as often as not give up a silly goal. A penalty, a defected shot, a corner that bobbles in off someone. We have all seen it time and time again.

IMO, having Brannagan further forward makes us more dangerous, and having Gorrin as the stopper makes us more solid at the back. So - more likely to score a second and less likely to be under quite so much pressure. If that second had gone in, there's no way we wouldn't have won, probably by three or four.

Of course, if Gorrin wasn't ready due to missing pre-season then him not starting is understandable. What might be less so is to put him on the bench and then use pre-determined (and rather ineffective) substitutions when he could have come on to shore up the midfield a bit. All ifs and buts, he might have come on and make a horrible rickett due to having had little pre-season and we'd have actually lost!

Similar to @Swaby39 post earlier, I agree with the majority of what you have posted here. Against Cambs, I didn’t feel like we were ever dropping deeper as it was getting later. It didn’t feel like we were protecting the 1-0 and it didn’t feel like they were ever having a spell of sustained pressure. Perhaps this is where the Gorrin debate comes in as others think they were getting on top.

As you say, a pen, a deflection etc could happen with anyone on the pitch. I think Gorrin is so important to our success, I just thought Saturday he wasn’t needed. For me there isn’t a correlation between the type of mistake that led to their goal and how we set up tactically.

Either way, Gorrin in for Charlton on Saturday is a must. Brannagan higher. The third midfield spot genuinely could be any of the others.

Henry is still very much one of the first names in the starting lineup for me. He gets both goals and assists from midfield and generally makes good decisions. He's not very physically imposing but I really think he's made for a role further forward in the spaces behind the strikers and wingers.
Our starting midfield should be Gorrin, McGuane and Brannagan if all fit.

Ipswich continuing to splash the cash whilst annoying other sides.

They've been trying to do a deal for Michael Jacobs from Pompey for weeks, agreed it all and he had his medical on Friday. They've now signed an alternative winger - Kyle Edwards - which more than likely means the Jacobs deal will be scrapped.

Meanwhile, Pompey are trying to sign Joe Morrell from Luton and were planning to use the fee they received for Jacobs. If they don't get the fee, there's potentially a stumbling block.
Well guess which side are now trying to hijack that Morrell deal, yep that's right - Ipswich!

They've been trying to do a deal for Michael Jacobs from Pompey for weeks, agreed it all and he had his medical on Friday. They've now signed an alternative winger - Kyle Edwards - which more than likely means the Jacobs deal will be scrapped.

Meanwhile, Pompey are trying to sign Joe Morrell from Luton and were planning to use the fee they received for Jacobs. If they don't get the fee, there's potentially a stumbling block.
Well guess which side are now trying to hijack that Morrell deal, yep that's right - Ipswich!

Ashton would have been at Bristol City with Joe Morrell

Kyle Edwards is one I would’ve liked to have seen here - although I imagine Ipswich are paying a pretty penny on his wage!

Our starting midfield should be Gorrin, McGuane and Brannagan if all fit.
Absolutely, couldn’t agree more.

There would be power, aggression, tackling, goals and assists in that midfield three. A no brainer for me

It’s not Taylor-Moore or Moore-Taylor but Taylor Moore, ie Taylor is his first name. Confusing or what
Almost as confusing when John Collins and Collins John played for Fulham at the same time. The only time in Premier League history where two players had the same name in a team but the other way round!

12-18 months ago, I would’ve agreed with you, Henry has been brilliant, and is very talented, and that talent makes up for his lack of pace.

But he’s been struggling for form for a while now, and although the talent will always be unquestionable, he’s not producing the goods on a regular basis like he used to.

He’s also not a midfielder in my opinion, he’s a wide player or a number 10, and maybe the fact he’s playing too deep is why he’s been struggling.

He’s still got a huge amount to offer the team, be it from the start or from the bench, but in more advanced positions in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom