Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atkinson is a good player, I'm not saying he isn't. But whilst he dealt with everything in the air and was solid in the tackle, his weakness was positionally at times and having players run through him. From what I've seen, Thorniley looks the more solid (if less exciting) defender.
So if somehow Robinson managed to pull off a last minute player swap, giving Thorniley to Bristol and we get Atkinson back for the season (unlikely/impossible as that would be) you’d be saying “I’m not sure about this - while Atkinson may be more exciting going forwards, he’s not as solid or as good a defender, so I think we’ll concede more and look weaker at the back now…”

🤔🤔🤔🤥

Atkinson was the best to wear a yellow shirt since Matt Elliott and is an outstanding plplayer.
Not sure that I agree with that. Dickie was much h better defensively in my view.
Atkinson was very good in the air and was committed ( and fantastic with his dribbling ability) but was totally bullied v Blackpool and could be a little naiive defensively. He is young though and has huge potential

We scored 77 in the league. Peterborough scored 83 (but conceded 10 fewer).
This is important. Peterborough finally got it right when they sorted the defence out. They might have been the highest scorers but they also had the fourth best defence in the division last season. In fact, over the past 7/8 seasons (full and complete ones where a pandemic didn’t shut the league down in March and leave ppg to dictate the outcome), you couldn’t get automatic promotion without having a defence that is in the top four. Meanwhile, Burton finished second a few season back while being the fifteenth highest scorers. That was a rarity, but you could never achieve top two if that ranking applied to the defence rather than the attack.

I am a big fan of the exciting attackers. I like to clap and cheer and wave my hanky in the air as much as anybody else, and they are obviously important because you need to score goals. But there’s also no point having the best looking car with the most powerful engine if it doesn’t have half decent tyres holding it to the road.

I’m off to stick on my VHS copy of 101 Great Tackles. I don’t recognise any of the chaps on the cover and I can’t see which teams they play for as they’ve got their shirts off (must be celebrating goals, which is weird for a video based on defending), but I’m hopeful that it’ll be a thrilling watch.

I’m off to stick on my VHS copy of 101 Great Tackles. I don’t recognise any of the chaps on the cover and I can’t see which teams they play for as they’ve got their shirts off (must be celebrating goals, which is weird for a video based on defending), but I’m hopeful that it’ll be a thrilling watch.

Ah, that’s disappointing. There’s always one who reduces everything to cheap sexual innuendo. That’s a shame.

So if somehow Robinson managed to pull off a last minute player swap, giving Thorniley to Bristol and we get Atkinson back for the season (unlikely/impossible as that would be) you’d be saying “I’m not sure about this - while Atkinson may be more exciting going forwards, he’s not as solid or as good a defender, so I think we’ll concede more and look weaker at the back now…”

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji1781]
Yeah. Could be that he develops more and makes those further improvements, but we'd have the same defence (Seddon aside) that shipped 6 against Blackpool across 2 games.

This is important. Peterborough finally got it right when they sorted the defence out. They might have been the highest scorers but they also had the fourth best defence in the division last season. In fact, over the past 7/8 seasons (full and complete ones where a pandemic didn’t shut the league down in March and leave ppg to dictate the outcome), you couldn’t get automatic promotion without having a defence that is in the top four. Meanwhile, Burton finished second a few season back while being the fifteenth highest scorers. That was a rarity, but you could never achieve top two if that ranking applied to the defence rather than the attack.

I am a big fan of the exciting attackers. I like to clap and cheer and wave my hanky in the air as much as anybody else, and they are obviously important because you need to score goals. But there’s also no point having the best looking car with the most powerful engine if it doesn’t have half decent tyres holding it to the road.

Do you want to borrow my copy of “101 great defensive positions”? Les Robinson seeing a winger on his wrong foot and the attack leading to nothing is a real highlight.

Atkinson is a good player, I'm not saying he isn't. But whilst he dealt with everything in the air and was solid in the tackle, his weakness was positionally at times and having players run through him. From what I've seen, Thorniley looks the more solid (if less exciting) defender.
players run through him really?

Elliott Simms produced superb skill to dink it over Atkinson and score on the half volley if that is what you refer too

I think we at times showed a weakness as a unit at corners in particular the 2nd ball but i don't recall ever thinking a certain goal was solely down to Atkinson unless you know different

Atkinson was the best to wear a yellow shirt since Matt Elliott and is an outstanding player.
Come on now. Off the top of my head, he got the absolute run-around from Magennis, Harrison and Sims last year. Great player with loads of potential but putting him up in that bracket is mad.

FWIW I think the defence as a unit will be hugely improved by having a well-rested, re-focussed Gorrin in front of it this year. I know there's a clamour to have CB in at that 'quarterback' role, and there'll probably be a time and a place for that, but the status quo needs to be AG in there putting out fires and giving the attacking players a platform to attack. He wasn't really on it last year, presumably for reasons to do with separation from his family during COVID and a short off-season, but with a full summer of rest behind him I can see hjm being back to his best. I suspect also that the experience of the likes of Williams and Whyte on the wings will provide more cover than Shodipo (at least initially) and Barker did last year, which further reinforces the defensive unit.

Atkinson was excellent he's got alot still to learn but Matt Elliot was more the finished article. I hope Atkinson or Dickie go to the premier League more money for the Us .It's all about playing as s team it's certainly a much better squad and Iam sure there is still another couple to come.

We scored something like 92 goals last season, we don’t need to score more . We need to concede a bit less and i hope someone else is coming in.
As I've pointed out before our stats last season weren't as rosey as they first appeared, we were the ultimate flat-track bullies with our goalscoring. Go back and count the games that finished 'Oxford 0' - it was a really high percentage. There is a lot of room for our strike force to improve.

As I've pointed out before our stats last season weren't as rosey as they first appeared, we were the ultimate flat-track bullies with our goalscoring. Go back and count the games that finished 'Oxford 0' - it was a really high percentage. There is a lot of room for our strike force to improve.
I think the Oxford 0 games were the ones where we were out-thought or outfought in midfield and couldn't get attacks going - or even get out of our own half sometimes. The strike force was generally pretty good if we were able to get the ball out to the wingers.

🤔🤔🤔🤥

Yes, because that's just what I've said. I'm not sure why it is difficult to understand that players have very different qualities and for all of his strengths, Atkinson was a bit naive at times positionally and losing the ball and being caught too far up the pitch. He was also excellent at winning everything in the air and being the one to bring the ball out of the defence, and we will miss both. But I think Moore was the better defender and Thorniley will hopefully add more experience and solidity at the back.

We had similar discussions about whether Cadden was better than Long and you threw the same accusations at me then when I put my support behind Longy! Sometimes back our players works out pretty well, maybe you should give it a go!!

Well first of all, Ruffels couldn’t defend…

Seddon is more of a wing back type as well. I don’t think a Karl Robinson full back is ever going be of the Les Robinson variety, it’s not how he sets his teams up to play.

Would also say Gilchrist as well. Very underrated the first time around.

The 96 team was very good defensively, when we went on a run to the second automatic spot we could out football teams but also keep it tight and beat them on the break.

Robinson has yet to prove he can create a side who can win both ways, the MK Dons promotion came with a very good attack for league one level.

To be fair it’s entertaining football and we produce players who other clubs want to buy so it keeps us going, he is a good manager but for me he has yet to produce a well rounded team that are comfortable mixing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom