Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he can see we need cover is needed on the left side?
Interesting read in the Mail. Twelve days before Cambridge, four players in. This same time last year, seven players in. Why the delay bringing players before the season starts?
The consequence seems to be a poor start to previous campaigns.
Still feel confident we have enough in the tank to get a flying start this year.

Interesting read in the Mail. Twelve days before Cambridge, four players in. This same time last year, seven players in. Why the delay bringing players before the season starts?
Still feel confident we have enough in the tank to get a flying start this year.
Clare - Flop
Kelly - Flop
Asonganyi - Flop
Osei-Yaw - Flop

I’d rather we focused on quality, rather than quantity! The players we have signed so far in this window, are significantly better than those above! Why is there this desperate need to pad out the squad with X amount of players?

Last edited:
We had fewer players to start with last year, which is why we needed to bring in more.

By this stage last season, we'd still yet to bring in Winnall or Shodipo.

This is also an Euros year, so the market is going to be a little quieter for a little longer.

The OM article talks about Portsmouth holding on for better quality players who may become available closer to season start (or beyond). I am sure this is exactly what we're doing as well.

There's a fine line, but if we're ambitious then we're doing the right thing. There are sooo many players still available that I'm sure we could fill the remaining positions with good players without hesitation. But we want better than that right...

The OM article talks about Portsmouth holding on for better quality players who may become available closer to season start (or beyond). I am sure this is exactly what we're doing as well.

There's a fine line, but if we're ambitious then we're doing the right thing. There are sooo many players still available that I'm sure we could fill the remaining positions with good players without hesitation. But we want better than that right...
The difference is that they have already signed 8 players, we 4, plus the outgoings.

The difference is that they have already signed 8 players, we 4, plus the outgoings.
As has been pointed out numerous times the number of players needing replacing is far less than last year.

How many full age players now in our squad and in Portsmouths?

As has been pointed out numerous times the number of players needing replacing is far less than last year.

How many full age players now in our squad and in Portsmouths?
As long as we get the 4/5 players needed before the first game then that's all that counts

They needed more to begin with though, and they've got a new manager. The fact we need less players than them is a positive thing.

The signings that they have made have hardly set the world on fire either.
Wouldn’t take that Ahadme too lightly. 5 in 2 games. Loan from Norwich
Caused Atkinson a lot of problems last Tuesday.

As long as we get the 4/5 players needed before the first game then that's all that counts
That won't happen.
For almost all clubs that won't happen.
We have a good first team already in my view and a pretty good bench.
So no excuse for not getting a decent start but of the 3 to 4 other players coming in, they do not need to be in by the first game

Clare - Flop
Kelly - Flop
Asonganyi - Flop
Osei-Yaw - Flop

I’d rather we focused on quality, rather than quantity! The players we have signed so far in this window, are significantly better than those above! Why is there this desperate need to pad out the squad with X amount of players?

How has Osei Yaw been a flop. He’s hardly featured, and never got selected for the squad last season. Yet he was top scorer last pre season.

In my opinion to be a failure you need to be given a chance, and he hasn’t had a good enough chance.

I will stand by him, because I do think he has great potential. There are a few things that need ironing out, but if we let him go it will be a massive own goal imo.

I *really* dislike the fact that the transfer window doesn't close before more than 10% of the league games have been played - and I understand that it puts all clubs in a difficult position.

But...

That being said, the measure of how well the club has managed this transfer window *is* going to be the actual results over the course of the first six weeks or so. Because if holding on for your 'first choices' (who may not end up signing eventually anyway) means you throw away 10, 12 or 15 points, maybe you'd have been better signing a second or third choice and making a better fist of the first part of the season.

Wouldn’t take that Ahadme too lightly. 5 in 2 games. Loan from Norwich
Caused Atkinson a lot of problems last Tuesday.
Maybe. But there’s nothing like actually doing it in the actual season. He might be amazing. He might not.

Portsmouth have had no end of trialists and seem to have adopted a strategy of chucking loads of them in and hoping one or two stick. Whilst we are using a proper scouting approach.

Id opt for our approach any day.

How has Osei Yaw been a flop. He’s hardly featured, and never got selected for the squad last season. Yet he was top scorer last pre season.

In my opinion to be a failure you need to be given a chance, and he hasn’t had a good enough chance.

I will stand by him, because I do think he has great potential. There are a few things that need ironing out, but if we let him go it will be a massive own goal imo.
I appreciate your point re Del Boy, but in terms of making an impact for the first team in the league, I would say that he was a flop. I think KR wanted him to come in and at least play a part, but he was sent out on loan and didn’t play a great deal for Walsall, either.

I know he’s one for the future and I agree, he does have great potential. Will he be able to realise that potential at a club like Oxford, on the trajectory that we currently are? If he’s struggling for minutes, will he be able to force his way into a team that’s chasing promotion? Let’s see..

• React
Reactions: m
Maybe. But there’s nothing like actually doing it in the actual season. He might be amazing. He might not.

Portsmouth have had no end of trialists and seem to have adopted a strategy of chucking loads of them in and hoping one or two stick. Whilst we are using a proper scouting approach.

Id opt for our approach any day.
Agree with your scouting comment.
But can only pass on what I saw

The article made it clear why... the market is inflated, and like Cowley said, you either buy crap or wait it out.

I *really* dislike the fact that the transfer window doesn't close before more than 10% of the league games have been played - and I understand that it puts all clubs in a difficult position.

But...

That being said, the measure of how well the club has managed this transfer window *is* going to be the actual results over the course of the first six weeks or so. Because if holding on for your 'first choices' (who may not end up signing eventually anyway) means you throw away 10, 12 or 15 points, maybe you'd have been better signing a second or third choice and making a better fist of the first part of the season.
The two significant positions that needed filling were left back and left centre back. the former we knew we needed once Josh didn’t sign his new contract offer. The latter we only knew once Bristol City came calling.
For left back we targeted Steve Seddon several weeks ago, circumstances held that up.
As to the centre back I can see why we might want to give Luke a chance which may have delayed signing Rob’s replacement. I cannot believe we have done nothing about making enquires and talking to potential players from as soon as Bristol became serious. Perhaps having Mous around has muddled the waters.

Hakeeb Adelakun has signed for Lincoln. Sure we'd have been in for him as we were about 12 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom