Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks very much like Clare & KR just do not get along together - result of the "failed RB & then off to Burton" saga of last season. When you look at the clubs that obviously rated Clare I think it says more about KR than the player?

It looks very much like Clare & KR just do not get along together - result of the "failed RB & then off to Burton" saga of last season. When you look at the clubs that obviously rated Clare I think it says more about KR than the player?

There is a lot to that story from the moment he was discussed in recruitment meetings. Anyway, he was treated like dirt by a section of our fans, best thing that he moves onto somewhere he can enjoy his football.

Don't forget KR saying a couple of months back that "that might not be the end of Hall's OUFC career, if he can't find a club we'll see what we can do" or something along those lines..... So that's only potentially 8 players lost and not 9šŸ˜¬

Genuinely incredible how Clare has apparently overnight gone from a wasted wage to the lynchpin at the heart of our midfield. I get that some people seem to enjoy having a pop at KR whatever happens, but some of the u-turns on here would make Boris Johnson blush.

I would have liked to see Clare here next season. I think he showed enough last year, both fleetingly with us and obviously with Burton (not that I saw any of their games), to suggest that he has something to offer, and is usefully versatile. But 350k is a lot of money for a player who would probably be rotation at best. Assuming it's reinvested, I think that's a good deal.
I think thats a little unfair. Clare was criticised, obviously unfairly, as he was playing in a position he just wasnt suited to. If true and the likes of Charlton and Sunderland are wanting to sign him, as a midfielder, then he must have something about him. Its a shame we didnt really get to see it here.

I think thats a little unfair. Clare was criticised, obviously unfairly, as he was playing in a position he just wasnt suited to. If true and the likes of Charlton and Sunderland are wanting to sign him, as a midfielder, then he must have something about him. Its a shame we didnt really get to see it here.
Yes it is a shame, after Friday I was looking forward to seeing more of him. However the money might let us fill a position weā€™re more in need of.

Itā€™s not clear whether there is a plan or everything is unraveling. Weā€™ll just have to sit back and watch - main thing is that we have a club to support and a team to follow

As black and white as it gets, however the spin doctors want to rosy it up.
9 out
3 in.
Grayson - 4 appearances, total 81 minutes.
Hall - 9 appearances, total 112 minutes.
Kelly - 26 appearances, couldn't get in the side once CamBran was back and Sykes regained form.
Clare - mostly poor performances from RB then 0 appearances from Jan.

You can claim it's "black and white", but let's not act like the first three in particular leaving has made any difference in our squad. McGuane is better than both Kelly and Clare, Hall and Grayson plainly weren't good enough for our level. Williams and Bodin are the replacements for Lee and Barker, and Cooper can also be included in that.

Ruffs and Atkinson are the only outgoings that can remotely be looked at as not replaced yet, and that's even a push given McNally is in the building and the reports are we have a LB ready to sign once he gets past a Covid infection.

Call me a spin doctor if you like, but I'd rather look at the full evidence than take the "black and white" and use it to slate the club at every turn.

Seems an odd one to me. Our squad is crying out for a midfielder that has a bit of pace and can run with the ball, and Clare seemed to fit the bill. I was actually quite looking forward to seeing him play in his favoured position next season. Oh well, I'm sure we'll find a technically sound but slow and somewhat lightweight player to replace him.

Seems an odd one to me. Our squad is crying out for a midfielder that has a bit of pace and can run with the ball, and Clare seemed to fit the bill. I was actually quite looking forward to seeing him play in his favoured position next season. Oh well, I'm sure we'll find a technically sound but slow and somewhat lightweight player to replace him.
All part of KRs plan to get Rob Hall back.

Letā€™s be honest. If we had signed one or two more then no one would be worried about Clare leaving. In fact weā€™d be celebrating it!

I donā€™t have a problem with moving Sean Clare on. Heā€™s obviously not Karl Robinsonā€™s plans. He was signed as a right back, and never really got the chance to shine in his natural position. Thatā€™s the managers fault, for trying to convert him in to a RB.

Itā€™s a shame it never worked out for him here, and Iā€™m sure if heā€™s played in his natural position you will see him shine. Weā€™ve not been to bad with our transfer business over the past few seasons, and I donā€™t think this was a failure! It was the manager that let the player down to be honest.

Still Ā£375k is a nice little fee, especially for someone who hardly kicked a ball for us.

We really need some reinforcements, to strengthen the squad, and we donā€™t want to be selling anyone else in this window.

The worrying part about it 2.5 weeks till start of the season. We have approximately 8 first team players who can play in the next 3(?) games. With Clare gone we are atleast 6 short now.

Another slow start beckons. Hopefully proved wrong.

Genuinely incredible how Clare has apparently overnight gone from a wasted wage to the lynchpin at the heart of our midfield. I get that some people seem to enjoy having a pop at KR whatever happens, but some of the u-turns on here would make Boris Johnson blush.

I would have liked to see Clare here next season. I think he showed enough last year, both fleetingly with us and obviously with Burton (not that I saw any of their games), to suggest that he has something to offer, and is usefully versatile. But 350k is a lot of money for a player who would probably be rotation at best. Assuming it's reinvested, I think that's a good deal.
Well then maybe he should stop giving us ammunition? He signed someone to play RB who's barely played there before and took months to realise his mistake. He then, as the player starts look comfortable in a different position, ships him out on loan. Clare then becomes an important part of that Burton side, but as soon as he steps back in the door at Oxford the manager decides to publicly criticise him. Do you honestly believe Karl is beyond reproach? And do you think this the first time people have criticised the manager over his handling of Clare?

I begrudgingly agree that with that fee, selling Clare is the right thing to do. And I still believe in the model too. But as I've mentioned before, this is just another thing to add to the 'ugh' pile, when good moments this summer have been few and far between. (Also I think the manager has deep set flaws, but that's a topic for another time).

Last edited:
Does anyone actually know that KR wanted him gone. Could this be one of the ā€œinternal thingsā€ Robinson alluded to at the weekend. Where the board sold a player against his wishes.

I donā€™t have a problem with moving Sean Clare on. Heā€™s obviously not Karl Robinsonā€™s plans. He was signed as a right back, and never really got the chance to shine in his natural position. Thatā€™s the managers fault, for trying to convert him in to a RB.

Itā€™s a shame it never worked out for him here, and Iā€™m sure if heā€™s played in his natural position you will see him shine. Weā€™ve not been to bad with our transfer business over the past few seasons, and I donā€™t think this was a failure! It was the manager that let the player down to be honest.

Still Ā£375k is a nice little fee, especially for someone who hardly kicked a ball for us.

We really need some reinforcements, to strengthen the squad, and we donā€™t want to be selling anyone else in this window.
Youā€™ve seen Ā£375k confirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom