Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not quite that simple. If Winnall is fully fit then he's likely to play in rotation with Taylor. One may do the hard yards for an hour whilst the other gets the goal against a tiring defence. But neither are likely to be able to play 90 minutes, week in, week out, to the level of intensity that we'd want.

It's not unreasonable to see Taylor getting 15+ and Winnall 10 hitting double figures rather than having the mythical 20 goal a season striker.
If Winnall doesn’t start pre season sharp I could see Harrison being revisited

It's not quite that simple. If Winnall is fully fit then he's likely to play in rotation with Taylor. One may do the hard yards for an hour whilst the other gets the goal against a tiring defence. But neither are likely to be able to play 90 minutes, week in, week out, to the level of intensity that we'd want.

It's not unreasonable to see Taylor getting 15+ and Winnall 10 hitting double figures rather than having the mythical 20 goal a season striker.

I agree in principle with everything you say, I just don't think Winnall is the man for the job. As you say, IF he is fully fit which is most unlikely.

Eyoma, Tottenham centre back who’s 21 who Lincoln had on loan.. still doesn’t have a club I don’t think? Would fit our model

I agree in principle with everything you say, I just don't think Winnall is the man for the job. As you say, IF he is fully fit which is most unlikely.

He's been fully fit for preseason and does look a little trimmer in the photos from Bournemouth.

Eyoma, Tottenham centre back who’s 21 who Lincoln had on loan.. still doesn’t have a club I don’t think? Would fit our model
TJ is still at Spurs and he’s getting a chance in pre season. It’s his older brother Aaron who is without a club.

A bit concerning that approaching pre season games we haven’t signed one out of the two left backs we need. Anyone heard about Jamie Robson or is that going to be one we get beat to by Ipswich? I understand that we want to be careful but we also want to capitalise on the relatively winnable fixtures we’ve got at the start of the season by having a settled back line.

"Mythical" is a poor choice of word.

There were four players that scored 20 L1 goals last year. At least two of them played for clubs that our supporters would expect Oxford to compete with financially. One of the others was Charlie Wyke, a player who would hardly be considered a supernatural phenomenon. That leaves Clarke-Harris, who scored 31 rather than the 20 we are apparently demanding.

It is absolutely reasonable to seek to identify, or want the club to seek to identify, a player that can score 20. Three of the top six last season had such a player. Us and Hull both had a player on 19, which suggests that succeeding without such a player is the exception, not the rule. And it is worth noting that Winnall hasn't hit 10 league goals since 2016/17.

"Mythical" is a poor choice of word.

There were four players that scored 20 L1 goals last year. At least two of them played for clubs that our supporters would expect Oxford to compete with financially. One of the others was Charlie Wyke, a player who would hardly be considered a supernatural phenomenon. That leaves Clarke-Harris, who scored 31 rather than the 20 we are apparently demanding.

It is absolutely reasonable to seek to identify, or want the club to seek to identify, a player that can score 20. Three of the top six last season had such a player. Us and Hull both had a player on 19, which suggests that succeeding without such a player is the exception, not the rule. And it is worth noting that Winnall hasn't hit 10 league goals since 2016/17.
Not sure what your point is, we had such a player - 19 is pretty much 20.

Anyway, have we signed anybody? Have we signed anyone?

I see Ipswich have signed Fraser from MK Dons and Joe Pigott from Wimbledon
Both good players
I have a horrible feeling that the third tier of English football is going the way of tiers 1 and 2. The more money you have the more likely you will win the league or get promoted. I know it’s not always the case but by and large that’s where we are.
It will be difficult for us to go up automatically and I hope we have enough to get into the playoffs
My prediction is between fourth and eighth and we will have had another good season

Both good players
I have a horrible feeling that the third tier of English football is going the way of tiers 1 and 2. The more money you have the more likely you will win the league or get promoted. I know it’s not always the case but by and large that’s where we are.
It will be difficult for us to go up automatically and I hope we have enough to get into the playoffs
My prediction is between fourth and eighth and we will have had another good season
Some people can’t see that. This season will be tougher than the previous 2 with some of the other clubs signings and showing their intent. Weren’t we supposed to be hearing some news this week? Asking for a friend.

Both good players
As it stands (ie until more money is put into the budget) we are a mid-budget, mid-table team. Are our aspirations this season really to scrape into the playoffs?! The transfer talk would seem to suggest so.

As it stands (ie until more money is put into the budget) we are a mid-budget, mid-table team. Are our aspirations this season really to scrape into the playoffs?! The transfer talk would seem to suggest so.
I think we will go into the season with high hopes as every club will, however look how we struggled to beat the top 6 last year.
With Sheffield Weds, Rotherham, Charlton, Sunderland, Ipswich as well Wigan getting very good players I can’t see us getting much change out of them unless we play them in a poor patch which some clubs go through
That’s why I think we will finish between fourth and eighth

I wish there was more balance to this topic rather than slamming our chances before we have even kicked a ball or finished our recruitment. Where do our own strengths/track record come in to this conversation?

I wish there was more balance to this topic rather than slamming our chances before we have even kicked a ball or finished our recruitment. Where do our own strengths come in to this conversation?
Yes that's a good point, if another club had signed Taylor, Henry, Brannagan, or Moore, or a striker from Burnley like Agyei we'd be really impressed and jealous.

I imagine a lot still hinges on the ownership situation. The lack of activity must be linked to a potential change at the top.
Yes, apart from LB, we already have a good squad, however, I very much doubt it would be good enough to battle for promotion without the addition of a couple of quality players.
If we aren't careful we will again have a slow start and spend first half of the season building some momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom