Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
The market as in cost of players has been very inflated for years Neydoesfuc*allmar 200m

Very Average players cost 30-40m these days
Maybe at the Top level.
But COVID if anything means that anybody under the EPL is going to be struggling financially. I would think that overall payments on transfer fees will come down this season

Nelson leaves... "We'll never be able to replace him"..... Dickie joins "he's better than Nelson"..... Dickie leave "We should have asked for more for him, we'll never be able to replace him"..... Atkinson joins "he's better than Dickie" ........ Atkinson leaving "We should have asked for more for him, we'll never be able to replace him"....... McNally joins...,....,...............
This forum🥱

I think the reality is that the vast majority of clubs in the world are 'feeder' clubs and it's unrealistic to expect otherwise given our current stature. I don't think it's anything to do with the club being soft, more understanding what we can offer a player vs another club in a higher division who currently have a bigger wage budget.
Excellent response.

I think by way of reply I would like to contend that what we have to offer is time on the park and further development, versus all the splinters he’s going to get in his a**e at Bristol City.

I think all of us accept that we are a selling club and likely, evermore shall be so; but a huge amount of the disappointment when players leave up the ziggurat for the first offer that comes along, is the knowledge that they are very unlikely to play, at least in the first season.. I wonder if we could realistically expect Rob Atkinson back on loan?

£1.6 million is pretty decent business from the football club. Despite RA having a couple more years left on his contract, it’s hard to sell a defender from Lge 1 for a north of £2mill.

Matt Clarke left Pompey for £2million, and I’d say that’s about the going rate for a top Lge 1 defender.

Bristol City are buying potential, and we’ve gone for a 10% sell on clause. Which is better than a promotion clause. There is no way Bristol City will be getting promoted anytime soon.

I think we’ve done well after only playing one season for us. All it takes is a freak injury ie Nelson, and you lose him not only for the season but the financial gains too.

The conveyor belt continues, and it’s how we operate as a football club currently. What attracts these young talented players to us, is that we promise not to stand in there way if a big move comes along.

Reinvest the money wisely, and bring in a couple of experienced heads, to push on next season.
This post is far to sensible, where was all the moaning!

Really hope we spend more time developing our own players this season rather than signing loans from above.
Would love to see McNally, LCP, Elechi, Sade, Goodrham etc get game time in the cups.
We have plenty of mentors in house to aid their development!

Excellent response.

I think by way of reply I would like to contend that what we have to offer is time on the park and further development, versus all the splinters he’s going to get in his a**e at Bristol City.

I think all of us accept that we are a selling club and likely, evermore shall be so; but a huge amount of the disappointment when players leave up the ziggurat for the first offer that comes along, is the knowledge that they are very unlikely to play, at least in the first season.. I wonder if we could realistically expect Rob Atkinson back on loan?
But it clearly wasn't the first offer that came along.
The first offer was clearly turned down.
Who knows what offers there could have been before then?
The club have a valuation for each player. The valuation for RA appears to be the 4th highest ever L1 CB.
So to suggest that the club simply accept the first offer that comes along is nonsense

The club have a valuation for each player. The valuation for RA appears to be the 4th highest ever L1 CB.
So to suggest that the club simply accept the first offer that comes along is nonsense
We also appear to have turned down offers for Sykes and Brannagan quite recently.

Nelson leaves... "We'll never be able to replace him"..... Dickie joins "he's better than Nelson"..... Dickie leave "We should have asked for more for him, we'll never be able to replace him"..... Atkinson joins "he's better than Dickie" ........ Atkinson leaving "We should have asked for more for him, we'll never be able to replace him"....... McNally joins...,....,...............
This forum🥱
For a start, Atkinson will NEVER be as good as Rob Dickie, I personally don't even think he'll ever be as good as Nelson.

But we live in a world where players nowadays are often overrated and overpriced, but OUFC repeatedly fail to take proper advantage of that.

When Atkinson leaves, the only thing that will annoy me, will be the fact that we didn't take advantage of the situation, and get more for him, but I fully believe his replacement, while maybe not being as good at bringing the ball out of defence (and giving me heart palpitations in the process) will be better defensively.

So apart from another missed opportunity to be the pants pullers for once, instead of the pants pullees, I'll get over his departure very quickly.

But I agree, it's getting boring now

First, second, whatever…now you’re really missing the point of my post.

Which was, I’ve moved on from quibbling the fee and more debating the fact that our fans for some odd reason are defending Rob Atkinson moving on in the name of career progression, when the reality is, like Gavin Whyte, he’ll be a squad player at best.

Which was, I’ve moved on from quibbling the fee and more debating the fact that our fans for some odd reason are defending Rob Atkinson moving on in the name of career progression, when the reality is, like Gavin Whyte, he’ll be a squad player at best.
There's a good point here - for every Dickie who is a great success and more than doubles in value there's a Whyte, who's a bit of a disappointment and loses the new club money. Roofe is between the two, he's done well but is at Rangers rather than tearing it up for Leeds in the premiership.

Would be more concerned if Moore was the one leaving. He is the defensive rock and far more threat than Atkinson in the opposition box, and also has the ability to play long balls out to the wing which again Atkinson can't do. You have to admire Atkinson's dribbling ability for a defender but for every time he created a good chance doing it he conceded a good chance by failing with it. It is crucial that we get Moore on a longer term deal to give us the ability to actually make money from him when he gets sold next summer.

We do need to bring through talent from the younger age groups too. Last season we stumbled across a million pound goalkeeper, who would never had played if Eastwood had kept his form so would still have been valued at zero. There has to be one or two youngsters that get a meaningful go at making it just to see, this could turn into a huge windfall for the club if it works but if you don't try you never know and clubs at our level must start doing this more.

But at some point the board do have to look at the benefits of being a Championship club, just being a Championship club gives a multiple to player sales alone compared to being a L1 club. You get the feeling we have got as far as we can as a L1 club and at the moment lower play offs to mid table is about where we are set and set for quite some time to come with annual player sales covering the annual losses. The Championship is still a far off objective unless we finally do keep our best players to make a meaningful push, a big investment comes into the club that busts the budget compared to other L1 clubs, or we hit a miracle and players we bring in to replace the ones sold turn out to be exceptional. The club is at the moment banking on the latter to achieve the Championship, and as Peterborough found it is possible but it could take 10 years. But you can't argue with the current financial position at the club which despite Covid must be at it's strongest for decades.

Everything is about the money. Forget all the rest. Even if he’s sat on the bench, his standard of living will go up and who can blame him?

Excellent response.

If it were the case that he went and sat on the bench then I'd agree it's disappointing from a fans view and knowing what he's capable of going on to do, but ultimately that would be his decision. I would expect Oxford to have a valuation of all their current players and if that's met then I don't think we can stand in the players way.

In any transfer I'd expect there to be a conversation about playing time. If you offered me £3k a week to be first choice at Oxford in League 1, or £9k a week to be first choice at Bristol City in the Championship then I'd take the latter offer, and that's as an Oxford fan, so I wouldn't expect anything else of Atkinson. If however, it was £5k a week at Bristol City and to be backup then I think I'd rather play in League 1 in the knowledge another solid season gets me closer to being established in the Championship and potential to go up to the really silly money like Dickie did after 1 season. But that's just a hypothetical situation based on numbers I have plucked out the air.

Only Atkinson will really know if he fancies it or not based on what's put in front of him and his own ambitions about his own career. We've seen the other side of it where players like Lundstram and Roofe rejected (presumably more lucrative) contract extensions at Premier League clubs as they wanted to come and play and prove themselves as players. They've both since moved well beyond League 2/Prem reserve football. Likewise Luke Garbutt may well regret the 10 years he sat in Everton's reserves before he started playing properly. Or he may not as he may be minted now and that was the most important thing for him.

Mapp also sold players on, but you miss the point
All players have agents who are looking out for the interests of their clients and if they can get a better deal great, there is no loyalty in football anymore and you are one tackle away from ending your career.
What would you do if you work for a company who give you a chance and perform well, another bigger company sees what you are doing and offers you 2/3 times that salary?
Plus if we had got promoted he would be on champ wages with us and have those teams to compete against. No-one on here is in the room when negotiations are taking and are not privy to said ins and outs of football terms. It is surely a delicate balance when teams aren't always going to wait months as if they were pursuing Sancho e.g.

In his latest interview, KR confirms our shopping list is:

2 x LB (Sounds promising)
1 x Left sided CB (Pretty much confirms Atkinson has gone)
2 x LW (Doesn’t look like Cooper is getting much game time)
Potentially 1 x CM (To replace Forde if he doesn’t sign?)
1 x RB cover (Same as above)

Last edited:
We had to sell someone this summer.

We were not good enough or close enough (quality wise) last season. So if the aspiration from the real money men and lady is for promotion, then we needed proper investment. They've gone and spent on McGuane, they've probably spent decent wages on Billy Bodin, we're in for Gavin Whyte but can't afford or agree to a deal at present.

The players we need to consider selling, is Atkinson or Cameron. We need to then re-invest partof, with the rest being used for operation costs and driving debt down/supporting a break even model. Like it or not, centre backs and central midfielders at our level are pretty easy to come by, you spend money or invest in strikers and attacking players.

Get anything north of £1.6m for Rob Atkinson and we're laughing.

You'd imagine at least one of the LWs and the RB and LB cover, and maybe the CM, could, and probably will, be loans. We need at least one permanent LB in the building though, and a left-sided replacement for Atkinson.

I know 'Robbo loves wingers' has become a thing, but why do we actually need two LWs? Isn't that what Bodin was brought in for? Surely he won't have been brought in as RW cover, given we have Henry, Williams, Agyei and Sykes for that position?

Is Whyte now playing on the left? He was very much a right winger when with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom