Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, but there's a big difference between passing a medical, and being match fit, staying match fit, and having a long history of NOT being able to stay match fit.

But after all the medicals, and knowing what we know about these players' injury records, and their inability to stay match fit, we sign them anyway. It's mental.

What do you think a medical is for? To test their ability to turn up on time? Basically what you’re suggesting there is a medical isn’t much use. So why not leave it until after the player has signed?

A medical is completed by every club on every player and it is not a 2 minute multiple choice Q&A. They are specifically designed to see what a player’s limitations will be and I strongly suspect in all EFL clubs (at least) they are partly generic but largely tailored towards an individual player and their history. The player is pushed beyond their natural limit over a couple of hours purposely to see how they cope and where their pinch points are and plan how to manage that. Whilst they cannot simulate the events of a 90 minute game, they will get an encyclopaedic knowledge of the player’s physical capabilities. Any sign of a red flag, a club typically walks away. So you have to assume a player is all clear at the time of signing otherwise they don’t get in the door.

Any guarantees from this? There never are when signing any player. But the medical, along with probably a very detailed report from PNE, will give them a very informed decision to make. The same can be said for all the others.

People seems to be ignoring the fact that Bodin has been fit since January, just wasn’t being selected after falling way down the pecking order whilst out. He’s been injury free for 7 months.
Like I've said, there's a big difference between being injury free, and being fully match fit, and able to maintain that match fitness.

I really hope Bodin proves me wrong, as if he can get match fit, and stay fit, then we've got an excellent player there, but after seeing how often these kinds of gambles have failed in the past, I was kind of hoping Robbo might've decided to stop rolling the dice like this.

However, if this turns out to be the only gamble we take on an injury prone player this summer, then I suppose I can live with it!

I just hope to god that this gamble is the one that finally pays off...

These medicals are always a bit of a gamble. A 1 year "gamble" is IMHO worth it. How he will fit into the team I don't know - reckon there are some departure imminent?

Quite a big difference in age when it comes to take a gamble on!
Bodin is 29 and Rob was 20 when we signed him.

People seems to be ignoring the fact that Bodin has been fit since January, just wasn’t being selected after falling way down the pecking order whilst out. He’s been injury free for 7 months.
Injury free because he has not been playing.

They were already contracted OUFC players when they got injured, should we have just got rid of them when they got injured then?!?

Things like that are unfortunate, but it happens in squads, players get injured.

But like I've said, we're not talking about players who have had a few minor, niggling injuries, that just need sorting once and for all, those players are maybe worth the odd gamble, we're talking about players who have been dogged by multiple, major injuries, and have hardly played for 2-3 seasons, and I don't think we should keep bringing players like that into the club, when we know they have such atrocious injury records, and I don't know how many times we have to be bitten on the a**e before we stop doing it.

Baptiste and Long both had serious injuries before signing any pro terms with the club.

I can’t claim to be an expert on the lad, remembered the name but can’t ever remember seeing him play so a hard one to get excited about especially when you consider he either does well and buggers off in January (which is the good one for us as we get a short term benefit on the pitch and a few quid to sign players in transfer window as happened with Obita) or he is injured most of the time and we don’t see much of him.

I can see why the club have gambled, he might be on lowish wages, it’s a short term deal that might pay off quickly and fair enough the clubs a business that needs to be run like one.

On the other hand I can see why fans are not exactly turning somersaults over it, we have been here before with players who have hardly played in the previous seasons and never got going, it can be painful to watch someone previously good chasing something that’s not there anymore. Even if he does well he will be off pretty sharpish, so the upside for the fans is a fleeting look at a good player.

It's not so much his injury record as a one off. Worries are because we have:

1. A limited number of slots for senior players in the squad
2. Already a number of players with recurring injury concerns

Combine the two and it's a recipe for the increased potential to have some patchwork sides later in the season.

Quite a big difference in age when it comes to take a gamble on!
Bodin is 29 and Rob was 20 when we signed him.
Some weren't saying that.
And to be fair if you are a crock, presumably you are a crock regardless of age ( Shandon has been pretty young with injuries)

Baptiste had 2 or 3 bad injuries but that sucker Robbo extended his contract then sold him for far more money than we've spent on all the other players combined.

And George Thorne was exceptionally unlucky. He arrived in reasonable condition and had an extended preseason to get him match fit. Once fit he played a couple of times as a sub before starting against West Ham. He then had a freak injury with a badly dislocated shoulder after looking pretty decent for the 20 minutes he was on the pitch. Had that injury not happened, then we may have seen someone who was capable of being head and (busted) shoulders above this level.

Just because a transfer doesn't work out it doesn't mean that it was a bad decision to bring them in.
George Thorne didn’t he play for free whilst with us? To try and prove himself?

George Thorne didn’t he play for free whilst with us? To try and prove himself?

He was on loan initially and we were contributing to his wages, but only about 20%. He then had his injury and got paid out by Derby and returned to us unpaid from January.

With the insurance picking up his wages and treatment costs after his injury he literally cost us a few grand in wages and a nominal loan fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom