Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to sell when the right offers come along. Just look at Baptiste. We get an excellent offer. Many here complain about us selling him. Within weeks he gets injured and plays no part in brentford promotion. So if he stayed here we would now have an injured player of less value and the club would not have the cash to reinvest. Every decision is a balancing act. KR and the team do what they think is best for all parties. Some on here just need to get their heads out of the sand and get real

But it's only a gamble in the sense that every signing's a gamble. Due to the misstep of the EPPP, Premier League clubs have an abundance of talent that won't make it in the top flight - at least immediately - and that's where we step in to swoop them up. Mix that with our scouting of the lower leagues (Dunkley, Atkinson etc.) and our knowledge of NI (Whyte, Sykes, Cooper) then I don't think it's a hoping scenario.

We could sign a squad of journeymen in their late 20s-early 30s who are looking for a club to settle at for a few years and raise a family, but they'd be worth a lot less money if we wanted to sell players and generate revenue for the club.

It's the trade-off we have that we sell off one or two of our players every season to allow us to keep attracting these very talented young players. Simply put, if we didn't have this model in place, we wouldn't have attracted our 'best players' to sign in the first place and wouldn't have as good as squad as we currently do.

Also, I don't even think it is our 'best players', because it's not like we still don't have talent in our squad even with the departures in recent years. It's not like we haven't replaced Nelson with Moore, Dickie with Atkinson, Baptiste with McGuane etc. The squad is full of talent, and to say we're selling our best ones every single transfer window actually does a disservice to the talented players who are still at the club.
Yourself,Unification and the Mighty Aldo make very valid point +others and as i've said elsewhere if that is our stance then fine but let's not hear about Top 30 as that will need a helluva lot of luck. I said last season and approaching this that fans will need to lower their expectation and given the model give the manager some slack, he cannot perform miracles.
Whilst he has said previously we don't stand in their way he recently said we cannot keep selling players and I for one agree with that.

One thing i would disagree with is the staying in League 1 comment above as we will not attract much needed new fans playing virtual the same clubs every season

Players moving on up the food chain is pretty much guaranteed, even if we made it to the highest leagues.
Our academy churning out quality players will make little difference either, local lads as they are, they are a saleable commodity and all part of the plan. They would be moved on for the right price too.

We have to sell when the right offers come along. Just look at Baptiste. We get an excellent offer. Many here complain about us selling him. Within weeks he gets injured and plays no part in brentford promotion. So if he stayed here we would now have an injured player of less value and the club would not have the cash to reinvest. Every decision is a balancing act. KR and the team do what they think is best for all parties. Some on here just need to get their heads out of the sand and get real
That's stretching it somewhat but i get what you're trying to say. We could also say that had he stayed we may have seen a different outcome at Wembley but both comments are pure conjecture.

I do support the notion of players moving on in the food chain... Just as long as we are not going backwards as a football team.
Let's say Brannagan goes for 1.75 m. Surely we would bring in a midfielder of similar ability who is perhaps more experienced as well as a prospect who will develop.

To those saying 'no we shouldn't sell' and that 'if we're serious about promotion we'd keep him', where have you been for the past 5 years? This is the model, and it's one that's bringing money to the club and ensuring that we're not only avoiding haemorrhaging losses but we're actually in profit too.

It's not like that money disappears either, it gets reinvested either to the playing staff or club infrastructure. If we sell a player then we'll get a replacement, or more likely we'll have already signed them. Atkinson arrived as Dickie's replacement and now McNally is Rob's. When we can't make any money from the stadium we have to use this model.

Karl knew these were the guidelines when he signed up to manage us, and for all my criticisms of his tactical ability and game management, bringing through youth and developing players has been one thing him and the club have been successful at. When we sold Dickie these exact things were floating around, with fans claiming it was the end of days. But guess what? Atkinson stepped up.

Players will move on, it's just the way of third-tier football. And I'd rather we get hundreds-of-thousands if not millions of pounds for them rather than refusing to sell them and letting them go on a free, all for the sake of a gamble on promotion.
That was the model.

if that continues to be the model then any noise about being a top 30 club should be muted as it’s false pretense and misleading the fans.

If there was truly new ownership intending to invest and get us promoted then:
+ Atkinson would be persuaded to stay
+ two years left on contract the new ownership would not listen to offers.

Or Scotchegg is just a PR mouthpiece and twinky puppet and they only really care about the land deal like at Reading. Shock horror.

Last edited:
Then stop the Bullshi* about ambitious club great facilities etc etc when they sign and forget about top 30 club because i hate to break it to you but selling your best players every summer and January weakens your squad and you'll need a helluva lot of luck to progress.
Keep breaking up the squad and hoping to find/have the next gem is a hoping scenario not a concrete plan towards where you state you aim to be.

You are bang on the money mate, we won’t get promoted doing this year on year, many on here seem to not realise that.

That was the model.

if that continues to be the model then any noise about being a top 30 club should be muted as it’s false pretense and misleading the fans.

If there was truly new ownership intending to invest and get us promoted then:
+ Atkinson would be persuaded to stay
+ two years left on contract the new ownership would not listen to offers.

Or Scotchegg is just a PR mouthpiece and twinky puppet and they only really care about the land deal like at Reading. Shock horror.
I wouldn't expect us to go for being a top 30 club until the ground is in place. Otherwise it's just rich guys funding expensive players in an unsustainable way. Hopefully at some point we'll be in a situation where the ground is producing income and we don't need to sell as many players.

You are bang on the money mate, we won’t get promoted doing this year on year, many on here seem to not realise that.
Brentford and Peterborough say otherwise…

2 clubs shopping in different spaces on different scales but very comparable models. You can absolutely win this way and it's odd to me to say we will never go up when you've seen 2 play off campaigns in a row - remarkable consistency for a seemingly flawed model...

I wouldn't expect us to go for being a top 30 club until the ground is in place. Otherwise it's just rich guys funding expensive players in an unsustainable way. Hopefully at some point we'll be in a situation where the ground is producing income and we don't need to sell as many players.
Problem though is it's not tap water that you can just turn on and off..You cannot just decide well this season we'll hold fire BUT in 3 seasons we'll have a go football does not work like that there are no guarantees.

Yes, me android! I feel Jack was virtually singularly responsible for our change in fortunes after SE was dropped. When Simon was offered a contract extension I feared that the grand plan may very well be to sell Jack - I may still be right?

“the firoz model”

When Simon was offered a contract extension I feared that the grand plan may very well be to sell Jack - I may still be right?
It is extremely unlikely that we offered, and that Eastwood in turn accepted, a three year deal that sees him committed to the club between the ages of 32-35, without there being a very good chance that he will be back in the side at some stage in the next year, if not before. 30-35 are generally the best years of a goalkeeper’s career, and this was probably his last chance to secure a contract that lasts more than 12 months, maybe 12 months with an option for a second 12 at best.

Given this, it’s quite a commitment from him as well as the club to get a three year contract signed. Even if he has taken a pay cut, he will still be on very good money for a second choice keeper in League One. I think all logic dictates that nobody is expecting Stevens to hang around much longer than one more season at best. If the club believe that Eastwood can come straight in and perform well when the time comes, and that this therefore provides a safeguard and is a proactive piece of planning for when Stevens moves on, then they’ve done the right thing.

Just not true.

The past two seasons put your statement into the 'inaccurate' folder. Other than a mistake from Browne and Eastwood, we were likely to get promotion (having sold the likes of Baptiste, Fosu, Whyte, etc etc let alone the players from Eales era) and last season we reached the play-off semi's having sold Dickie.

It's quite possible.

When the right offer come along, just not the first offer.

I don't think any realistic Oxford fan disputes that (despite apparently having billionaire owners) we will always sell to clubs above us in the pyramid. I just think that lots of us get (reasonably) disgruntled when the club puts up a mere whimper in protest when other clubs appear to dictate the terms of their sales, or auction the player to improve the price when's there's interest from more than one other club.

I understand most of the negotiation goes on behind the scenes in the modern football world, but it would be nice if just once, the club played hardball and told a contracted player that they're a required, and to knuckle down and honour the contract they've signed.

I think a lot of us would feel happier investing our hard-earned if it was evident that despite their bluster, the club weren't going to be trampled on every time, until the end of time.

When the right offer come along, just not the first offer.

I don't think any realistic Oxford fan disputes that (despite apparently having billionaire owners) we will always sell to clubs above us in the pyramid. I just think that lots of us get (reasonably) disgruntled when the club puts up a mere whimper in protest when other clubs appear to dictate the terms of their sales, or auction the player to improve the price when's there's interest from more than one other club.

I understand most of the negotiation goes on behind the scenes in the modern football world, but it would be nice if just once, the club played hardball and told a contracted player that they're a required, and to knuckle down and honour the contract they've signed.

I think a lot of us would feel happier investing our hard-earned if it was evident that despite their bluster, the club weren't going to be trampled on every time, until the end of time.
This is all conjecture though isn't it? We don't know what happens or how the club conducts things - or what the imperatives to raise cash are. I admit it sometimes seems like this but is that because someone starts a rumour here which is then repeated endlessly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom