Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for someone better informed than me: we were told we had X budget this year, a bit up on last year - but was that set on the assumption that we’d get 2m in transfer fees?

Question for someone better informed than me: we were told we had X budget this year, a bit up on last year - but was that set on the assumption that we’d get 2m in transfer fees?
No. This year's playing budget was set earlier this year and wasn't dependent on sales. Although I'm sure any extra income will be reflected in what further business we do now, or January.

I like our model of buy, develop, sell for profit, buy etc....and we need to continue this partly. However, we need to balance this better and improve in multiple areas to progress ourselves. This must be a priority.

The problem I see is the likes of Rob Atkinson could be good enough for the championship this coming season... But that's what we are aiming at is it not? To sell him for 1.5m and bring someone in for 250k who might develop in a year or two to his level might be good business, but its not making us a really competitive sports team. It means you essentially start every season weaker than you ended the last. It epitomises stability not progression in football terms.
Well said, some can’t see that

Let’s put an end to this now
It really is quite simple this applies to any of our decent players
We have a very good player a Championship club comes in and offers a price, we could reject it but
Should we stand in that players way of improving his career?
The player is offered double or triple what we pay him.If we want to keep him can we offer that much?
The answer to both those questions are no
The only clubs who are not selling clubs in this country are probably Man City Man Utd and Liverpool all the rest could see players sold to bigger clubs eg Harry Kane
So if the right offer comes in for any of our top players we are likely to lose them
After the European championship so far who would want to spend big bucks

Well said, some can’t see that
I guess football is fast moving and moves of players and managers tend to happen quickly. You can’t turn chances down because who knows if you will get injured or suffer a bad run. I bet Jamie Brooks wishes he’d been able to sign for Arsenal before he became ill, whether he was ready or not in ideal terms.

Let’s put an end to this now
It really is quite simple this applies to any of our decent players
We have a very good player a Championship club comes in and offers a price, we could reject it but
Should we stand in that players way of improving his career?
The player is offered double or triple what we pay him.If we want to keep him can we offer that much?
The answer to both those questions are no
The only clubs who are not selling clubs in this country are probably Man City Man Utd and Liverpool all the rest could see players sold to bigger clubs eg Harry Kane
So if the right offer comes in for any of our top players we are likely to lose them
and for the umpteenth time why can that player not realize his ambition with our club if that is meant to be our aim. is this not what is said when they join?

so if we are to keep telling players give us a year and we wont stand in your way how are we to progress to the next league without a helluva lot of luck?

Let's look at League 1 this season, it's going to be difficult enough without weakening your squad before a ball is kicked BUT

if that's what we are to do then perhaps any of those who constantly moan about our manager will take that into account before posting.

finally if top 30 is the thought process then the Autos has to be the target, how is that achieved with your best players walking out the door every summer and trying to start again virtual from scratch.

I guess football is fast moving and moves of players and managers tend to happen quickly. You can’t turn chances down because who knows if you will get injured or suffer a bad run. I bet Jamie Brooks wishes he’d been able to sign for Arsenal before he became ill, whether he was ready or not in ideal terms.
But the post I replied to was accurate to some extent. You get a couple of exceptional players for L1 we do really well and fall short day as in the Wycombe game at Wembley but knowing with a couple of additions the following season we could end up going up through the autos but instead we’ve sold those exceptional players and we effectively have to start all over again. So when Ian Lengan said at the start of every season we are on a 5 year journey I knew it was B*****s.

Last edited:
But the post I replied to was accurate to some extent. You get a couple of exceptional players for L1 we do really well and fall short day as in the Wycombe game at Wembley but knowing with a couple of additions the following season we could end up going up through the autos but instead we’ve sold those exceptional players and we effectively have to start all over again. So when Ian Lengan said at the start of every season we Omar’s in a 5 year journey I knew it was B*****s.
Forgive me for asking, but what on earth does 'Omar's' mean?

If this makes the difference when we are supposedly on the verge of a multi - million stadium venture I really do worry.
The costs of the club won’t magically disappear overnight, just because we have a bit more money? Until we have our own stadium, the club will continue to run at a loss. Our owners are capable of shouldering that loss, knowing the potential is there for long-term gain.

and for the umpteenth time why can that player not realize his ambition with our club if that is meant to be our aim. is this not what is said when they join?

so if we are to keep telling players give us a year and we wont stand in your way how are we to progress to the next league without a helluva lot of luck?

Let's look at League 1 this season, it's going to be difficult enough without weakening your squad before a ball is kicked BUT

if that's what we are to do then perhaps any of those who constantly moan about our manager will take that into account before posting.

finally if top 30 is the thought process then the Autos has to be the target, how is that achieved with your best players walking out the door every summer and trying to start again virtual from scratch.
You miss the point
If you are in a job where there is a limited time span and you have talent you have to make the most of it
Take Atkinson he signs a deal over 3 years, He then has an amazing season andyhe made team of the year. This means teams in the Championship show an interest I would expect Bristol to offer him 10 grand a week. This is what Cardiff paid Nelson who is now on double that
What would you do , say no I will stay here for two more years, he could get an injury next match which he never recovers from.

Frustrating that we lose our better players each season but that's life supporting oufc. Remember when we were flying in the champ and sold matty elliot. Was convinced we would have been promoted if we hadn't sold him.

If you were a football player who's just left a Premier League academy and joins a third division football club, do you really think the sales pitch is 'join us and at some point you might play for us in the Championship'? Or is it 'join us and we won't get in your way if a Championship club comes calling'?

I hate to break it to you, but players signing for us who aren't local don't give two hoots about Oxford United. It's a job first and foremost, and if you were given a choice between joining a side who wants you to stay long term and another that has a track record of developing and selling young talent, you'd join the latter. If we tried to convince players to join based on realising their ambitions with this club, then we wouldn't have signed half the players we did.

Cope in terms of players? We had Atkinson and Moore at the club, and they both stepped up and played incredibly well all season! Injuries caused us problems at CB; not the players we had.
The whole defence, as a unit, started poorly last season, if you think Dickies departure had no impact in that, then I would disagree. (injuries or not, it’s the management team’s responsibility to make sure the team is ready, and we were not).

Last edited:
The whole defence, as a unit, started poorly last season, if you think Dickies departure had no impact in that, then I would disagree. (injuries or not, it’s the management team’s responsibility to make sure the team is ready, and we were not).
We had injuries to Ruffels, Gorrin, Atkinson and Mous right at the beginning of the season. A season where we were restricted on the number of senior players and the amount we spent. Dickie staying may have helped, but what if he'd have got injured instead of Atkinson? Would we have been any better off?

“Best players walking out of the door every summer”

Moore, Brannagan and Gorrin have all been subject of interest over the past 12 months and bids were rejected. Eastwood too before that. Managed to keep our best player in Taylor last summer after his loan. The picture you paint isn’t reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom