Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those saying 'no we shouldn't sell' and that 'if we're serious about promotion we'd keep him', where have you been for the past 5 years? This is the model, and it's one that's bringing money to the club and ensuring that we're not only avoiding haemorrhaging losses but we're actually in profit too.

It's not like that money disappears either, it gets reinvested either to the playing staff or club infrastructure. If we sell a player then we'll get a replacement, or more likely we'll have already signed them. Atkinson arrived as Dickie's replacement and now McNally is Rob's. When we can't make any money from the stadium we have to use this model.

Karl knew these were the guidelines when he signed up to manage us, and for all my criticisms of his tactical ability and game management, bringing through youth and developing players has been one thing him and the club have been successful at. When we sold Dickie these exact things were floating around, with fans claiming it was the end of days. But guess what? Atkinson stepped up.

Players will move on, it's just the way of third-tier football. And I'd rather we get hundreds-of-thousands if not millions of pounds for them rather than refusing to sell them and letting them go on a free, all for the sake of a gamble on promotion.
And this is why we’ve been in league 1 for so many year, get it????

Yep but Peterborough get better money than we do for selling their players and then replace them with ready made replacements.we get less money and bring in a development player.
Last season we were weaker than the season before and that was due to selling players and not being able to bring good enough quality in.
Majority of Peterborough top sales are top third players.
Just think.
If part of the money we got at the time for Marvin Johnson, was spent on the likes Ivan Toney and Freddie Woodman.

Last edited:
if the theory is we are between 8-10th on budget then how does selling your best player/s help you progress.

it's fine to say we have x waiting but we've seen already on here that some fans don't have patience with our manager yet expect him to get us promoted when it's stacked heavily against us.

at least keeping your squad together for 2/3 seasons with the odd tweak gives you a chance but not weakening your team each summer then expecting promotion.

it does seem as though some are content to just watch a player for a season and then let others benefit from them in the league above which is the very league we aspire to be in
I wouldn't mind as much if we were already signing replacements or, even better, had those replacements in the squad ready to step up. McNally may turn out to be another fantastic find but is he ready? I got the impression that he was to be introduced to first team play over the season, gradually, not thrown in at the start!

Received this from a Dundee Utd fan earlier about the rumours of us signing Jamie Robson.

Would prefer he stays. Young. Not confirmed whether he’ll meet his potential. Which he has.

Could be something in this....

Majority of Peterborough top sales are top third players.
Just think.
If part of the money we got at the time for Marvin Johnson, was spent on the likes Ivan Toney and Freddie Woodman.

Agree with the general thrust but Woodman's been a Newcastle player since 2014.

Yeah, 1.6m will go towards paying the professional fees the club have incurred to date. Yawn.

Interesting that there's noise around Atkinson and not Moore. For me, Moore is currently the better defender, but Atkinson has the potential and his talent with the ball at his feet can mask some of his defensive frailties. Would've liked to have seen another season from him here before moving on, but anything over £1.5m is good business considering we only bought him for a fraction of that 18 months ago.

If he does leave I'd like to see some of that money reinvested in a senior centre back in their mid-to-late 20s. McNally was brought in with an eye to development, so if we want to give ourselves the best possibly chance to win games at the start of the season, we ideally need a senior Atkinson replacement ready to go from day one.
This is my thinking too, if we can get a 'leader' in to add some strength to the spine of the side while bringing McNally through, then use the rest to bolster what we can bring in

I feel that Rob might be valued at 2m now but if he has a decent season in the championship would probably be worth 5m. Can’t we try to capture more of that value now? I guess a decent sell on goes part of the way to that.

Would you rather we went out of business?
It’s a gamble get promotion and your income increase big time and yes so will wages but the gamble is we achieve promotion and the extra money and then stay in the championship and keep earning better money. If it’s not a gamble you aren’t prepared to make then it would be pot Luzon on getting promotion.

Agree with the general thrust but Woodman's been a Newcastle player since 2014.
Don’t think anyone would complain if that was club policy.
Sell then invest a percentage for the future.
Both had been out on loan in Scotland and Scunthorpe I think.
At the time If we’d offered a portion of Johnson’s fee to Newcastle for both, who knows.

Genuinely cant believe we're having the 'why are we selling our players?!' debate again.

Seriously, can we not just set up a separate 'Transfer Policy' thread and keep this one for discussing rumours / players and their likelihood of joining us? If you want to relive the 'we need to sell our players to stay solvent!' 'but we'll never get promoted like that!' debate can you not just go back and read the transfer threads from last summer, or the January before that, or the summer before that, or the January before that, or the summer before THAT? The comments are literally exactly the same!

Not having a go at anyone, just seems like this has all been said a million times before, and makes it very difficult to keep track of genuine transfer news 💛

I like our model of buy, develop, sell for profit, buy etc....and we need to continue this partly. However, we need to balance this better and improve in multiple areas to progress ourselves. This must be a priority.

The problem I see is the likes of Rob Atkinson could be good enough for the championship this coming season... But that's what we are aiming at is it not? To sell him for 1.5m and bring someone in for 250k who might develop in a year or two to his level might be good business, but its not making us a really competitive sports team. It means you essentially start every season weaker than you ended the last. It epitomises stability not progression in football terms.

Don’t think anyone would complain if that was club policy.
Sell then invest a percentage for the future.
Both had been out on loan in Scotland and Scunthorpe I think.
At the time If we’d offered a portion of Johnson’s fee to Newcastle for both, who knows.

Ah. I getcha.

Yeh we should have gone in with both feet for Toney (keepers don't make good transfers) he has been a special talent for 3 years.

Maybe we can bet big and make more in future......

If Atkinson goes, that will be a real shame! He has a lot more developing to do, and if we kept him for another season, he would be worth double what he is now.
Agreed. of late it seems they hardly kick a ball for us before being snapped up. Rob is definitely one that needs at least another season playing week in week out to develop

I like our model of buy, develop, sell for profit, buy etc....and we need to continue this partly. However, we need to balance this better and improve in multiple areas to progress ourselves. This must be a priority.

The problem I see is the likes of Rob Atkinson could be good enough for the championship this coming season... But that's what we are aiming at is it not? To sell him for 1.5m and bring someone in for 250k who might develop in a year or two to his level might be good business, but its not making us a really competitive sports team. It means you essentially start every season weaker than you ended the last. It epitomises stability not progression in football terms.
Let’s put an end to this now
It really is quite simple this applies to any of our decent players
We have a very good player a Championship club comes in and offers a price, we could reject it but
Should we stand in that players way of improving his career?
The player is offered double or triple what we pay him.If we want to keep him can we offer that much?
The answer to both those questions are no
The only clubs who are not selling clubs in this country are probably Man City Man Utd and Liverpool all the rest could see players sold to bigger clubs eg Harry Kane
So if the right offer comes in for any of our top players we are likely to lose them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom