Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasa year left on a contract that would likely attract a transfer fee and higher wages to release him from. A season long loan with an option of a permanent deal at the end would be the most cost effective and still give him the motivation to fight for a contract next summer.
I’m sorry, but for what he’s produced for us so far he’s a luxury. A season long loan might be worth a gamble depending on how much of his wages we’re paying and the prospect of being out of contract might concentrate his mind, but showing his undoubted talent a couple of times in a game when the ball is given to him and not appearing to be bothered contribute a performance over 90 minutes in my view doesn’t mark him out as team player.

Bedeau's the man then.

Good Age
Left Footed
Taller than Jake Wright
Cover for Rob
Puts his body on the line
Cheap
Not so quick, we do have other stipulations remember:
Injury prone
Old/last pay cheque
Not match fit
The best this league has seen
....and most importantly can play on the wing, in goal as well as a fill in CB.

It isn't that simple though surely?
We brought in the great Matt Elliott from Scunthorpe from memory.
We brought in Tommy Caton and Chris Wilmott who played at a higher level and didn't work out as well as you would have hoped for.
Most clubs in L1 will look to the lower leagues for a 'gem". Pompeys first signing in the summer is likely to be a bonus league player who Cowley knows.
We have already brought in a player from the Championship.
We won't be spending £2m on a player but neither did Hull or Blackpool last season.
Also, as we saw from Blackpool and Mapp at Lincoln, you don't need a team of expensive players to be a success at getting promotion, you simply need to know how to get the best out of them, play to their strengths and manage fitness levels.
Unfortunately not all managers can do that, and need expensive players to justify a promotion push, managers such as Jackett and previous Sunderland managers.

Rarely comment on here - but as an observation I do think we should focus on physicality and strength. It’s noticeable how often we look like a small (stature) team compared to the opposition. The result being that we are often out-muscled. Hall, Lee, Barker, Henry all suffered from being pushed out of possession. Moore and Atkinson give us strength at the back but would love to see us build a squad of not just talented but also physically (and mentally) strong players. Talent on the ball is clearly important but if the player is ‘eased off the ball’ too easily then the skills are irrelevant.

Also, as we saw from Blackpool and Mapp at Lincoln, you don't need a team of expensive players to be a success at getting promotion, you simply need to know how to get the best out of them, play to their strengths and manage fitness levels.
Unfortunately not all managers can do that, and need expensive players to justify a promotion push, managers such as Jackett and previous Sunderland managers.
Yes that’s right and I’d say that’s what we’ve largely been doing- local or nonleague defenders and odds and ends such as Gorrin and Sykes , with maybe Taylor and Henry as recognised expensive players. The trick is doing it just a bit better.

No idea why we want Ryan Williams he's not good enough for pompey so why on earth is he good enough for us
What a load of rubbish!😂

There's no guarantee he will be a good or bad signing.

He was a key player for Rotherham when they got promoted from League 1. But that doesn't guarantee anything either.

Get the drift...?!

What a load of rubbish!😂

He was a key player for Rotherham when they got promoted from League 1. But that doesn't guarantee anything either.

Get the drift...?!
But do we risk him

What a load of rubbish!😂

Get the drift...?!
Awww diddums didn't you like my post ......he's poor there's better out there than him.....ps if you don't like my posts don't reply...........get my drift? ??

I think you've come to the wrong place if you don't want people disagreeing with you...
Couldn't care less I'll post what I like if people like that don't like it,tough really,seen to many people on here giving it and not being able to take it back

That doesn't mean that he 'isn't good enough for Pompey'
Many clubs will offer reduced terms as COVID will reduce their budgets.
I didn’t say that I just answered why he appears to have been released because he rejected reduced terms

What does it say?
If he isn't good enough why offer him a contract (they don't have to)
COVID will reduce most clubs budget.
Are you suggesting that any player offered a reduced contract will be considered as 'not good enough?
As you say covid will dictate contracts and maybe his being reduced was because of covid but maybe he wants better and is looking elsewhere, which I wonder why we’re looking at him as our budget will be less the man Pompeys

As you say covid will dictate contracts and maybe his being reduced was because of covid but maybe he wants better and is looking elsewhere, which I wonder why we’re looking at him as our budget will be less the man Pompeys

Pompey have been trimming their budget and it is partly the Cowleys rebuilding the squad. The Cowleys have a habit of offering reduced terms to players they aren't that bothered about keeping but if they do stay then fine; they did it at Lincoln as well apparently.

• React
Reactions: n1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom