Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were allowed 22 players including keepers this year IIRC. So that is potentially a couple of extra senior slots?
Yeah I could live with that, if it applies to Div 2 as well. Still don't think we need a cap on numbers, just overall expenditure vs income

It’s listed as £2.43m on a website that not only has no sources to cite, but also claims that Dickie’s current value is less than what they paid for him, despite the fact that he’s just swept the QPR end of season awards after a seriously impressive campaign in the Championship. That alone tells people all they need to know about the accuracy of their projections.

Someone who works for The Athletic, who I used to do the rounds with when I was a match reporter for the nationals, told me it was closer to £1.5m and that Reading took several hundred grand of that as they had a sell-on. Who knows, eh.

I hope that we get proper money and a good sell-on whenever Atkinson goes. He’s got the raw potential and all the basic ingredients to go to the Premier League comfortably.
How can anyone really know that stuff - unless they are vey closely involved and very indiscreet?

24 man squad essentially then, unless you have any under 21 year old first teamers which at the moment we don’t. Much better than 20 including goalies though, essentially 4 more players, gives us a lot more room for manoeuvre this summer.

I’m surprised Atkinson is on the Championship radar. Don’t agree that he can manage the step-up comfortably, at least not yet, as he couldn’t handle the L1 playoffs.

Never like predicting anything but the one to go for money in the close season would most likely be Branagan.
Might just be me but I think Brannagan is a bit overhyped on here. I haven’t noticed him ever take a game by the scruff of the neck and in the quarterback role drops so deep, only to go sideways again. If he can get a more lucrative deal elsewhere it wouldn’t bother me. Prepared to take stick but just not as excited as others appear to be

Might just be me but I think Brannagan is a bit overhyped on here. I haven’t noticed him ever take a game by the scruff of the neck and in the quarterback role drops so deep, only to go sideways again. If he can get a more lucrative deal elsewhere it wouldn’t bother me. Prepared to take stick but just not as excited as others appear to be
Agree

Certainly since he's returned from his eye problem he hasn;t been the same player that we saw last season. I expect we'll see a much fitter, and more effective CB next season. Assuming he's here I'm looking forward to seeing him in the same team as McGuane; and not in the holding role either!

Meant to add to this that I would expect us to be infor Nathan Holland again this summer. Think he's out of contract, and has had another injury hit year. He's exactly the type of player who'd benefit from playing 40-50 games in League One to get himself on people's radars again.

Think there'll be more players available than ever before.
He is an injury waiting to happen and you think we would get 40-50 games out of him!? No chance, less than 30 I would say. We have to stay clear of players with injury problems.

24 squad cap isn't bad. Still unnecessary in my opinion but that's 4 more than we were expecting and 2 more than this season. Two extra players could easily have been the difference in a fair few games if they were a backup right back and centre back, although I'm sure similar arguments could be made for other clubs too.

On Nathan Holland... Decent player in there but a massive risk injury wise. He's also 22, 23 next month so would count towards the cap. I'd take him back, but I'd potentially want Mide back too as a more reliable player injury wise. That left flank could be very good rotating those two. His contract is until 2022, however, so doubtful we'd get him, certainly not for free which for me makes it a bust.

He is an injury waiting to happen and you think we would get 40-50 games out of him!? No chance, less than 30 I would say. We have to stay clear of players with injury problems.

Most of the best players that end up at this level are here because they have an injury history. Your name is realist but you expect us to attract top young talent, that have never had an injury in league one.

24 squad cap isn't bad. Still unnecessary in my opinion but that's 4 more than we were expecting and 2 more than this season. Two extra players could easily have been the difference in a fair few games if they were a backup right back and centre back, although I'm sure similar arguments could be made for other clubs too.

On Nathan Holland... Decent player in there but a massive risk injury wise. He's also 22, 23 next month so would count towards the cap. I'd take him back, but I'd potentially want Mide back too as a more reliable player injury wise. That left flank could be very good rotating those two. His contract is until 2022, however, so doubtful we'd get him, certainly not for free which for me makes it a bust.
Might be better to sign someone who's better and who we've never heard of.

Most of the best players that end up at this level are here because they have an injury history. Your name is realist but you expect us to attract top young talent, that have never had an injury in league one.
Yes, we can attract top young talent who don't have a regular injury history. We already have done.

If you believe Fatty McCheat's poverty rubbish then they will only be able to afford players from the Southern League.
Yes maybe, but you know what fatty is like he’s had good starts with all the clubs he’s been with since the transfer window pre season. He has released a lot of players and Jordan Graham is a transfer player this window.

Not saying there is, but I think thats the type of profile we should look at. That said, most teams are after a physical, mobile striker that also bags a few. The key point being, that we bring in players that compliment our style of play and have a genuine need for.

Physical mobile striker...doesn't that describe Agyei?
Agyei needs a regular start to show with regular football what he is really like.

Agyei needs a regular start to show with regular football what he is really like.
Scared to drop Taylor methinks because of the wobbly he’d throw. Taylor is good when we’re on top of teams but doesn’t offer a lot when we’re not. we Need a 6ft 4in Taylor, not Agyei and we’d never afford him if he was around

There are more qualified people than you or I who need to decide that. You could be right, you could be wrong.

I’d have written Sam Long off when he was younger due to injury. Glad we didn’t.

We definitely shouldn’t be staying clear of players with injury problems. There will be some bargains out there. Signings should be treated on a case by case basis with sensible consideration for the risks.

I’m surprised Atkinson is on the Championship radar. Don’t agree that he can manage the step-up comfortably, at least not yet, as he couldn’t handle the L1 playoffs.

Never like predicting anything but the one to go for money in the close season would most likely be Branagan.

I know he had injury/illness troubles, but I think Brannagan had a poor season overall. Actually, I think he was poor throughout most of the second half of last season as well. The last time I remember him being on 'top' form was around Christmas 2019, just before he picked up the knee (??) injury. He needs another season at this level, in my opinion, playing in his proper position and scoring/assisting/making goals.

How can anyone really know that stuff - unless they are vey closely involved and very indiscreet?

There are many people in the game that would have a very good idea - simply because people talk and valuations matter.

For what it's worth, I heard that we got £1.9m for Dickie with 20% going to Reading so we pocketed around £1.5m. We also have a very good working arrangement with QPR and they are regular visitors to the training ground for training games. Together that helped us pick up Shodipo for a much lower wage contribution that would have otherwise been expected and saved us a few more quid.

Meant to add to this that I would expect us to be infor Nathan Holland again this summer. Think he's out of contract, and has had another injury hit year. He's exactly the type of player who'd benefit from playing 40-50 games in League One to get himself on people's radars again.

Think there'll be more players available than ever before.
Would suit our recruitment with injury and all that. But is he the same sort of player we have back a couple of seasons ago, or is he to be here unfit still injured and we bide our time? So refund we don’t need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom