Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes there is too much talk of spending big to achieve. It's more about what the manager can get out of his squad, rather than him moaning about his budget.
A casing point being Lincoln today. We all know what Mapp can achieve, but this stat is taken from the Mackem board
...."Just had a look. 4 frees, 4 loans and 3 nominal transfers. Being 2 of those were from youth teams - Poole and Hopper. And the other was from Forest I’d imagine the team that just beat us was put together for a couple of hundred thousand at most and their wage budget is a drop in the ocean compared to ours."

I suspect the Blackpool team isn't put together on a budget much bigger than ours, yet in both games, they were physically and tactically heads and shoulders above Oxford, always looking like they could step up a couple of gears if need be.
While success isn't always about spending big I'm sure the Ryanbirdios excellent piece on goals conceded would also show that the overwhelming majority of those teams were top 3 budget as well .

I dont agree, I think his play has been pretty good, just that we have a lot of options for right wing ir midfield
OK.

So if our other options in his natural position are nearly always preferable, do you advocate keeping him just in case we need a backup/unsuited RB or a 4th choice RM/RW?

Do you not feel we could spend our budget more wisely?

Would you move job for at least a 60% pay cut just to fit in more when you only have to sit it out for one more year?

Football fans are a bit mental, it’s as if the thing that matters most of us in our actual work life- money - doesn’t apply to anyone who kicks a ball about for a living.

I will give £50 to charity if Hanson doesn’t see out next season here.
Hanson isn't our type of player I believe. He isn't good enough in DCM or at right back .
Players are paid off at times if they don't fit. I just wonder if it would be in both parties interest if this happened in this case.
You are probably right that he will still be here (he has been a very poor signing with what a 4 year contract)

While success isn't always about spending big I'm sure the Ryanbirdios excellent piece on goals conceded would also show that the overwhelming majority of those teams were top 3 budget as well .
And also very likely to be the top scorers too!

You can look through a season and find games where conceding 5 fewer goals could have given an extra 10 points, but the exact same argument can be made for scoring 5 more.

Peterborough and Hull, top goal scorers this season. Rotherham last season. Luton (1st) Barnsley (3rd) season before. Wigan and Blackburn 1st and 2nd. Sheffield United (1st) Bolton (5th).

The reality is that to succeed at any level you need a strong defence, an effective strike force and often goals throughout the team, a highly competitive budget and a bit of luck with injuries.

This season, our defence was pretty good. Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Moore and Ruffels are comparable with most league 1 defences. The problem was that we often lost midfield battles, didn't defend as a team, especially down the flanks, and weren't strong enough mentally to close out crucial 10 minutes spells.

Also our goal scoring was pretty good. Taylor with 19, plenty from the defence, set pieces, wider players.

Where we struggled in both is through the middle of the pitch. Gorrin, Brannagan, McGuane, Kelly, Forde, Hanson all struggled to ever really control games, gave little defensive cover, and only scored a penalty and penalty rebound between them.

We saw some lovely touches from McGuane, and Brannagan had looked much better in the run up to the playoffs. But the former had Kelly and Gorrin alongside in a battling but fairly negative midfield, and the latter had Henry and Sykes in a weak but attacking middle 3.

We need to get that midfield working more effectively. We need to look at the transition between defence and attack (and Kelly was actually pretty good at this!) We need to move the ball quickly into the wingers to run on to rather than give it to them at a standing start on the halfway line. We need to know when to thread a ball through to Taylor like Barker should have done at the end of his early run last Tuesday. And crucially, we need to find a way to do all of this when teams press high or give us little space.

Get that right and we have the foundations or a very good league 1 side.

I’m not concerned about our back 5 particularly, I’m sure our defensive record when our first choice defence is fully available is fine. It’s the desperate lack of cover for it that’s concerning. The prospect of replacing a 7/10 left back if Ruffels goes and finding some cover shouldn’t be remotely concerning tbh, it only is because of KR’s track record.

On Hanson btw, the cost of paying him off would be huge to the point of ridiculous this summer. I’d be amazed if a decent L2 club wanted him, so our best hope is doing a deal in January paying the bulk of his wages.

Many seem to have made their minds up that so far as Hanson goes ‘there isn’t a player in there.’ I do wonder whether a loan out for him to play regularly a specific position ( presumably defensive midfield) might help. Sadly given restrictions on playing squad size this may not be viable. Time for Robbo to take clearer charge of his development?

Many seem to have made their minds up that so far as Hanson goes ‘there isn’t a player in there.’ I do wonder whether a loan out for him to play regularly a specific position ( presumably defensive midfield) might help. Sadly given restrictions on playing squad size this may not be viable. Time for Robbo to take clearer charge of his development?
I agree that a loan (even if we pay quite a lot if his wages) could be the better way forward for both parties.
I think that he would be a good addition to a 'battling side (Wimbledon, Wycombe, and probably a few L2 sides)

I don't see balance.

For eg. Taylor - 20 goal a season striker, really rate him, but he can't defend from the front or bully a centre back. This means 1st line of defence is non existent...in to the midfield, we often lose the 2nd balls vs good opposition - this means you could have vidic and jap stam at centre back...we are going to look vulnerable.

1. Midfield enforcers x 2 - athletic, seasoned pros, strong....
2. A cynical and physical forward who is first line of defence, can chip in with 10 goals, can help Taylor get to 25.
3. Full backs x 2.

I’m pleased to see a few people point out the strengths in the team now - perhaps things are calming down a bit and we’re getting some perspective in that back to back play off finishes with a team with quite obvious weaknesses is a damn good achievement. 6th best team in the league over 46 games is a far better measure of where we are than 2nd best over 2 legs to an exceptional Blackpool side who have peaked at the perfect time.

Perhaps KR did see these flaws (athleticism, power etc) last year but in the pandemic was not able to make the necessary moves - or availability wasn’t there. Whatever the reason, I can’t fault the guy for his consistency - some clubs can only dream of such results and I think he’s well worthy of continuing the project... I can’t understand any call for his head. He’s earned the benefit of the doubt and If this is failure, your minimum expectations are too high.

Back on topic! I think we have one of the best spines in the league if deployed correctly. The most obvious weakness in the team is a holding player which should be our absolute number one priority as I believe it’ll get the best out of every other area of our system. As much as I like Gorrin and I’d keep him for the squad, I’m never truly convinced by him and I think we could upgrade for someone who really grits their teeth, loves to defend and organises and isn’t interested in much more than a 10 yard pass to our creative outlets and let them do the damage. Our centre backs aren’t the most aggressive or street wise so to have someone there to light their fire and take pride in clean sheets would be huge. Once we have that spot filled I’d expect to see Brannagan and McGuane either side and let them off the lead. Go and run games for us.

From there it’s about wide players. We desperately lack wingers that smell blood and have that fear factor about them. The likes of Lee and Barker, for me, are passengers. They amble around but haven’t got any particular spark that can last the duration of the game. We need confident, dynamic wingers who pick up the ball and just commit defenders and cause panic. They’ll get the service in a KR system so there can be no excuses for low returns or a lack of involvement in a game. And on bad days where we aren’t ticking and on the back foot, you should always notice them for their effort and endeavour to help defensively and get us out when we turn over the ball - win a throw, a free kick... I just don’t see that enough with our current crop of wide players.

Those are the key areas for me where a bit of combativeness and steel would make us a team to beat.

I’m pleased to see a few people point out the strengths in the team now - perhaps things are calming down a bit and we’re getting some perspective in that back to back play off finishes with a team with quite obvious weaknesses is a damn good achievement. 6th best team in the league over 46 games is a far better measure of where we are than 2nd best over 2 legs to an exceptional Blackpool side who have peaked at the perfect time.

Perhaps KR did see these flaws (athleticism, power etc) last year but in the pandemic was not able to make the necessary moves - or availability wasn’t there. Whatever the reason, I can’t fault the guy for his consistency - some clubs can only dream of such results and I think he’s well worthy of continuing the project... I can’t understand any call for his head. He’s earned the benefit of the doubt and If this is failure, your minimum expectations are too high.

Back on topic! I think we have one of the best spines in the league if deployed correctly. The most obvious weakness in the team is a holding player which should be our absolute number one priority as I believe it’ll get the best out of every other area of our system. As much as I like Gorrin and I’d keep him for the squad, I’m never truly convinced by him and I think we could upgrade for someone who really grits their teeth, loves to defend and organises and isn’t interested in much more than a 10 yard pass to our creative outlets and let them do the damage. Our centre backs aren’t the most aggressive or street wise so to have someone there to light their fire and take pride in clean sheets would be huge. Once we have that spot filled I’d expect to see Brannagan and McGuane either side and let them off the lead. Go and run games for us.

From there it’s about wide players. We desperately lack wingers that smell blood and have that fear factor about them. The likes of Lee and Barker, for me, are passengers. They amble around but haven’t got any particular spark that can last the duration of the game. We need confident, dynamic wingers who pick up the ball and just commit defenders and cause panic. They’ll get the service in a KR system so there can be no excuses for low returns or a lack of involvement in a game. And on bad days where we aren’t ticking and on the back foot, you should always notice them for their effort and endeavour to help defensively and get us out when we turn over the ball - win a throw, a free kick... I just don’t see that enough with our current crop of wide players.

Those are the key areas for me where a bit of combativeness and steel would make us a team to beat.
A season of 46 games shows how performances have varied, but there is no getting away from what those two games have shown us, they are equally as valid, that we are still some way from being able to compete consistently in the championship.
Blackpool showed that physicality, tactical nouse, skill and depth are all needed to get to and remain in the championship. They clearly could have stepped up a couple of gears if need be. The way they came straight back and scored, on Friday. So, if anything, those two games are just as poignant
as the whole season, at showing both the fans and kr what is needed for next season.

What we need is early decisive decisions made, players who don't take an age deciding if they want to play for the yellow, if they linger, move on.
That's what kr should be looking at getting us to. The first 10 games, after previous seasons disastrous starts, will be pivotal to both the team and kr.

OK.

So if our other options in his natural position are nearly always preferable, do you advocate keeping him just in case we need a backup/unsuited RB or a 4th choice RM/RW?

Do you not feel we could spend our budget more wisely?
I think it depends on our budget and squad size requirements . You need a strong squad with injuries and substitutions.

Ultimately though, our record against the clubs that have finished above us tells the tale of the season. We won (I think) one match against any of them. So we probably finished about where we deserved: upper midtable - lower end of the playoffs.

Edit. Just looked and in the 12 games against the five teams above us, our record was W1 L6 D3 in the season plus of course a loss and a draw in the playoffs, so W1 L7 D4.

Last edited:
Ultimately though, our record against the clubs that have finished above us tells the tale of the season. We won (I think) one match against any of them. So we probably finished about where we deserved: upper midtable - lower end of the playoffs.
Hopefully this will be addressed in this transfer window, McGuane is a good start

An intelligent and thought provoking post, Swaby39, but I must take issue with your comments about Alex Gorrin. I think he's exactly the player you describe us as needing. In fact, had he played in the two playoff legs, perhaps we wouldn't have conceded 6 goals?

As much as I like Gorrin and I’d keep him for the squad, I’m never truly convinced by him and I think we could upgrade for someone who really grits their teeth, loves to defend and organises and isn’t interested in much more than a 10 yard pass to our creative outlets and let them do the damage.
You have literally just described Alex Gorrin?

This would be my preferences for the upcoming window:
Ruffels signs new deal.
Forde signs new deal.

OUT: (Loans ending/release/retire/loan out)

Hanson - Not good enough
Hall - Sad, but injuries have rendered him waaaaay off the physical level required.
Winnall - Sod off!
Kelly - Not good enough
Grayson - Sod off!
Mous - Sad, but Father Time comes to us all.
Barker - Would be happy if he returned, but would have to improve his attitude, too inconsistent, and not committed enough, out of our hands anyway.
Lee - Not really bothered either way, out of our hands anyway.
Shodipo - Improved as the season went on, much improved passing and tracking back, ball control still a bit dodgy, but would be happy if he returned, but out of our hands.

IN:

1 x Left Back cover
1 x Right back cover
1 x Centre back cover

1 x Central midfield general
1 x Box to box midfielder (Clare?)
1 x Creative attacking midfielder
1 x Left winger (Cooper?, Shodipo? Barker?)
1 x Right winger

2 x Striker

No clever dick ideas, trying to convert players, just players accomplished in their positions, a blend of young up and coming talent, and established, experienced players.
And all business done nice and early, before pre-season starts.

SIMPLES!

Ruffels signs new deal.
Forde signs new deal.

Hanson - Not good enough
Hall - Sad, but injuries have rendered him waaaaay off the physical level required.
Winnall - Sod off!
Kelly - Not good enough
Grayson - Sod off!
Barker - Would be happy if he returned, but would have to improve his attitude, too inconsistent, and not committed enough, out of our hands anyway.
Shodipo - Improved as the season went on, much improved passing and tracking back, ball control still a bit dodgy, but would be happy if he returned, but out of our hands.

IN:

1 x Left Back cover
1 x Right back cover
1 x Centre back cover

1 x Right winger

2 x Striker

No clever dick ideas, trying to convert players, just players accomplished in their positions, a blend of young up and coming talent, and established, experienced players.

SIMPLES!

Just the 10 new signings? Simples indeed!!!

Just the 10 new signings? Simples indeed!!!
It was a bit tongue in cheek, and I did say "preference" though not what I expect!

But with a big clear out, which is needed, we could bring in a number of players, for a number of positions..

But if we want success next season, we can't go into the new season, with players like Hanson, Hall, Winnall and an ageing, slightly crocked Mous in our squad

Ruffels signs new deal.
Forde signs new deal.

Hanson - Not good enough
Winnall - Sod off!
Kelly - Not good enough
Grayson - Sod off!

IN:

1 x Left Back cover
1 x Right back cover
1 x Centre back cover

1 x Right winger

2 x Striker

SIMPLES!
I’m surprised Forde would be a new contract & Lee not bothered. Forde is our 5th/6th choice central midfielder, 2nd/3rd choice right back, 4th/5th choice right winger. Lee has been a pretty nailed on starter & even if we improved in attacking personnel would be pushing that new player for a place.

I like Forde, but struggle to see much justification for keeping a player who is at least 2 spots from the starting 11 in every position he plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom