Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a year left on his contract. Do we take the risk that he turns into a world beater in the next year, and is also then of the mindset to sign a new deal rather than go to a 'bigger' club?
A contract that was recently signed so we were preparing for something when put in front of him

My two cents on Sykes would be that he's always been that cliche of a square peg in a round hole for us. He doesn't quite have the physicality to play in CM (I appreciate he had some excellent games in the run-in, but against the very best sides in this division he was overrun), and he doesn't have the end product or pace to play as an out-and-out winger. He's a natural 10, which we don't play with.

I really like Sykes, I like his tenacity and cheekiness on the ball (how many other players we've had in recent history try pirouettes and dragbacks to the same extent he does?). But while he's a useful depth player, and can be a match-winner against the middling-to-poor teams in this league, I don't think we play in a way that really suits him. 300k for a rotation player is a no brainer for me.

Plus, as someone said above, I'd love to see LCP given more chances as the rotation player in CM in the coming season. I think he's going to be absolutely quality.

Agree with much of that.

Sykes epitomises so much of where we were as a club last season. Tries really hard and looks great against weaker opposition, but is found wanting against the better sides and chokes in key moments.

Personally I really like him and like watching him play. I just wish he gave us a bit more. He ran his socks off for the last few months, while players like Elliott Lee looked a bit disinterested at times. But Sykes scored zip and only had a couple of assists, Lee had decent numbers of both - and ultimately that makes the difference.

Sykes is young with a young family, he will be wanting a longer term contract and there's no guarantees he'd get it with us this time next year. So if he can get a 3 year deal elsewhere then he has more security. If he does well, a lower fee but higher sell on gives us an opportunity to capitalise later on. If he doesn't progress we have still got a few quid in and freed up a space for someone that is hopefully better.

There is nothing to read between the lines here, and transfer out is potentially in everyone's best interests. However, I equally wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed and realised his potential with us.

A contract that was recently signed so we were preparing for something when put in front of him
It was triggering a one year extension. We did exactly the same with Liam Sercombe a few years ago to allow us to get a transfer fee rather than let him go on a free.

If we only had a player like Anthony Forde who could play the left-back role. Or at least be the understudy. Let alone the talk about Elechi.

Someone mentioned scoring goals wasn't our issue. Well we've just lost 13 goal Mide Shodipo and brought in Ryan Williams who has hardly set the goalscoring charts alight, albeit he might well assist more.......I'd say goal-scoring was very relevant.

Then Sykes. If £300K is being mooted sell him. He works hard and tries to create and we'd need to replace him with something similar, but it'd be nice to replace him with someone who has some end product.

We're calling out for a Matt Crookes type of player.

Just remind me who is that player that often breaks up play with interceptions / sets up / keeps attacks going when opposition break from our set pieces ?

A vital part of the game that goes unnoticed

The same player who can take 2/3 opponents out of the game with one superb bit of skill

The same player who links up well with Long, Henry, Agyei down the right hand side
Brannagan?

Depends If he was offered a new contract by the club, when taking up his option.
If not / or he’s not signed or is unlikely to sign, then now is the time to sell.

Turns out Blackpool were the 3rd best team in the league, thought he was one of our better players over both games.
Seems other clubs have the same opinion.

Agree with much of that.

Sykes epitomises so much of where we were as a club last season. Tries really hard and looks great against weaker opposition, but is found wanting against the better sides and chokes in key moments.

Personally I really like him and like watching him play. I just wish he gave us a bit more. He ran his socks off for the last few months, while players like Elliott Lee looked a bit disinterested at times. But Sykes scored zip and only had a couple of assists, Lee had decent numbers of both - and ultimately that makes the difference.

Sykes is young with a young family, he will be wanting a longer term contract and there's no guarantees he'd get it with us this time next year. So if he can get a 3 year deal elsewhere then he has more security. If he does well, a lower fee but higher sell on gives us an opportunity to capitalise later on. If he doesn't progress we have still got a few quid in and freed up a space for someone that is hopefully better.

There is nothing to read between the lines here, and transfer out is potentially in everyone's best interests. However, I equally wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed and realised his potential with us.
Did said player "Have to" sign Genuine question?

I thought the idea is players only go when we find much better alternatives not "Hopefully" better as that's what a few are saying re sykes is it not as in do we risk he hopefully gets better in 12 months.

One assumes then that any replacement is much much better, is ready to sign happy to be part of a squad and will also be wanting a 3 year deal?

Hearing Sykes might not be the only midfielder on the move, a certain James Henry is subject of interest. Decent source who's had plenty right in the past windows.

Contracted and might be hard to turn down a bid for decent money considering his age, I love Henry and would be disappointed if he left, but he's definitely on the decline physically.
I really like him and would be very sorry if he left but can imagine him being interested in a good contract somewhere like Pompey

Is it Hanson?
No you idiot, it’s Liam Kelly. The man who is so good that nobody can see anything he does.

As for Sykes, we did the same thing last summer that we did with Whyte the summer before. Gave him the 10 shirt, made a big song and dance about him being on the verge of a huge season, and hoped that a bid would come. He also announced his switch to the Republic at the same time. That’s football - sometimes you wiggle your a**e and hope somebody slaps it. The bid never came, but we were keen to move him on at the time. Especially after he was probably our best player in the playoffs and scored at Wembley. It only makes sense that he leave this summer if there’s a few hundred grand in it as he’s going for nothing next year anyway.

I really like him and would be very sorry if he left but can imagine him being interested in a good contract somewhere like Pompey

Thing is with Pompey they appear to be only offering there players 1 year deals so I don’t think they would offer Sykes or any other player 2 or 3 year deals

Just remind me who is that player that often breaks up play with interceptions / sets up / keeps attacks going when opposition break from our set pieces ?

The same player who can take 2/3 opponents out of the game with one superb bit of skill

The same player who links up well with Long, Henry, Agyei down the right hand side
Osei Yaw?

• React
Reactions: m

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do

As much as I like Sykes, LCP is going to be 1 hell of a player in the not to distant future. No brainier who you keep. Give LCP his chance.
Genuine question. Why do you think that LCP is going to be a hell of a player?
It is possible and he has a lot of potential, but is that coming out of the club or observations on what you have seen?

It is possible and he has a lot of potential, but is that coming out of the club or observations on what you have seen?
His little cameos have been impressive, however KR has said it could be a few years before he’s ready for the first team. I was surprised he didn’t get more game time last year.

Just play him in the paint pot/pizza trophy. Give him game time, and see how he goes and give him a couple of cameo Lge appearances to see how he gets on too. He did ok against Lincoln on sky tv.

From what I have seen.

Jack Stevens?

Shaft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom