Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comparison of McGuane with Baptiste is a worrying one.
Hope he’s not in the treatment room quite as much!

We are yet to make that marquee signing-loan or permanent.

Williams and Bodin have little or no resale value but have experience.

Quite a few of our rivals have played 2 or 3 friendlies already, hope we don’t send out an 'undercooked' team at the start of this season.

KR considers us ‘underdogs’ compared to the likes of Ipswich, Pompey, Charlton, Wednesday, Rotherham and Bolton. Is he wrong?
There was some criticism last season that our poor start was in some measure due to having played too many pre season friendlies!

• React
Reactions: m
Wow ! You must have mentioned about 15 teams who could challenge, there only 24 in the division ! With all these 'big' teams they can't all win and be up there. Something has to give, not least when they all play each other and with so many contenders there will be a 'big' team v a 'big' team virtually every other week.
I named 13, and of course they can't all be up there - it was just a list of teams that COULD be up there based on current spending and squads. I think we'll be seeing a season where not many points at all split the playoffs and the bottom half of the table. I was just trying to highlight how tough this season is likely going to be.

I named 13, and of course they can't all be up there - it was just a list of teams that COULD be up there based on current spending and squads. I think we'll be seeing a season where not many points at all split the playoffs and the bottom half of the table. I was just trying to highlight how tough this season is likely going to be.

Well, yes, 13 but I assume we are in your thinking too ? We'll settle on 14 !!!

There was some criticism last season that our poor start was in some measure due to having played too many pre season friendlies!
To be fair, the criticism (at least that I saw) was not about the number of friendlies, it was about cramming five of them into six days (or whatever it was)!

The comparison of McGuane with Baptiste is a worrying one.
Hope he’s not in the treatment room quite as much!

We are yet to make that marquee signing-loan or permanent.
Can I just ask what your idea of a marquee signing is if it isn’t a former Barcelona & Arsenal midfielder that’s played in the europa league? Regular part of England youth teams… Granted he’s got something to prove but that’s why he’s here and I doubt he was short of offers. Most teams in our league will be wondering how the hell we did that. We are Oxford United. I’m afraid if that’s a run-of-the-mill signing the majority of players to walk in the door this summer will disappoint you!!

As I said I maybe proved wrong and I hope I am, but my main point was about more investment and the fact that other clubs will still be able to attract players ahead of us.
I should add Charlton to my original list
Regarding Robson if it’s a choice between Ipswich and us they appear to have more money to spend on salaries so I believe he will go there
That exactly the problem, despite increasing our playing budget we have moved down the pecking order in the league. The current environment is difficult to compete with. I watched us train a couple of days back and KR made it clear his emphasis is on making sure the teams fitness and work rate exceeds last season. I asked about the chances of getting Gav back but he kept his mouth shut and nodded. I'm not confident that we will see the marquee signing we would hope for any time soon, but who knows what may happen, things change quickly

Last edited:
Surprised no Henry or Sykes in there. And I think Cooper will have a bigger say this season.
Yep very true. And Forde as well.
So I guess that my point that we hardly need a total rebuild is pretty apt.

Can I just ask what your idea of a marquee signing is if it isn’t a former Barcelona & Arsenal midfielder that’s played in the europa league? Regular part of England youth teams… Granted he’s got something to prove but that’s why he’s here and I doubt he was short of offers. Most teams in our league will be wondering how the hell we did that. We are Oxford United. I’m afraid if that’s a run-of-the-mill signing the majority of players to walk in the door this summer will disappoint you!!
As far as I’m aware McGuane has not played in the Premier League or Championship or La Liga! He has made 20 appearances for us in all comps and has not even scored a goal.

So yes, at this stage in his career I’m reluctant to classify him as a marquee signing.

However, he does have a good pedigree and started to show some promise before his injury.
Let's keep him fit and we could have another asset on our books.

I would regard Gavin Whyte as a Marquee signing.

As far as I’m aware McGuane has not played in the Premier League or Championship or La Liga! He has made 20 appearances for us in all comps and has not even scored a goal.

So yes, at this stage in his career I’m reluctant to classify him as a marquee signing.

However, he does have a good pedigree and started to show some promise before his injury.
Let's keep him fit and we could have another asset on our books.

I would regard Gavin Whyte as a Marquee signing.

Glad you mentioned Gavin Whyte - that was my next point! I think most people (me included) would regard that as a brilliant signing. But strip out the sentiment of him doing so well here and he's a guy that did well briefly in L1, got his chance to go up and hasn't taken it so he's now looking at a squad role at Hull or come back to familiar surroundings and start again. Where he does have added value is senior international experience which we can't take away from him. That CV doesn't exactly fulfil me much more than someone who has got himself on the radar of top european clubs where the chance to perform regularly is absolutely minimal and competition for places is extreme. But even off the pitch - imagine what a few years at those top clubs does for you mentally and what that brings to our squad. I don't read anything in to his time at Forest since that club doesn't know whether it's coming or going over the last decade and who can blame him for taking the chance to get out of there?!

My main point is it's the expectations of some that are wrong, rather than the opinions. You're setting yourself up for disappointment if every signing has to be young (but experienced enough to play to a high level from day one), at a Championship level or above and permanent rather than loan. Our first signing of the season ticks all of your own boxes from a previous post and yet he's still not good enough for you. That's where you've lost me, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom