Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if we go up we do need good enough players to keep us up,which is why selling for peanuts won’t get us anywhere.

1.6 million is hardly selling for peanuts considering the last 18 months. We don't know what the new boards ambition is quite yet in response of are they wanting promotion now or to keep us as a league 1 club while they sort the off the field situation being the stadium.

It would be a damn shame to get promoted while still at the kassam if a new stadium is on the cards within 5 years. The key is to get promoted at the right time where we can fully maximise the income on match days and intice more of Oxfordshire’s population to come and watch us. They will struggle to do this at the kassam..

Why? We've been pretty close in the past two seasons whilst using this model. Unless you're suggesting that it's hindering us from getting 1st or 2nd? There are many sides in this division who have bigger budgets, to compete we have to build a less-expensive squad full of talented younger players we develop and sell on. That's not a lack of ambition, it's the reason why we've been competitive.
We’ll see

1.6 million is hardly selling for peanuts considering the last 18 months. We don't know what the new boards ambition is quite yet in response of are they wanting promotion now or to keep us as a league 1 club while they sort the off the field situation being the stadium.

It would be a damn shame to get promoted while still at the kassam if a new stadium is on the cards within 5 years. The key is to get promoted at the right time where we can fully maximise the income on match days and intice more of Oxfordshire’s population to come and watch us. They will struggle to do this at the kassam..
Are you advocating that we postpone getting promoted until we have a new stadium?

So we tread water for a minimum of 3-5 years before letting everyone else know that we’re now ready, and ask them to all kindly step aside.

Really?

Are you advocating that we postpone getting promoted until we have a new stadium?

So we tread water for a minimum of 3-5 years before letting everyone else know that we’re now ready, and ask them to all kindly step aside.

Really?

No I'm saying, the board aren't going to break the bank for promotion or not listen to reasonable offers for players while we don't own a stadium.

one or two (speculative ) rumours linking OUFC to Dundee Utd defender Jamie Robson doing the rounds today

You don't really understand football do you?

Edit. And just to qualify that, £2m for a player with one league season behind him and with obviously development needs, is an above average fee under normal circumstances. After 18 months without crowds and the financial pressure that comes with that, then £2m would present a very good fee (especially with a load of extra add ons included).
Have you ALWAYS been so arrogant, opinionated and dismissive of other people’s views? Or is it a characteristic developed solely for this forum?

I know how we can stop this nonsense about colossal clubs like Celtic wanting to buy our players. We buy rubbish ones. No one else good will want them and we get to keep them. Sure, there’s no return on investment with them and they cost the club to keep and we’re likely to go down for them being substandard, but it’ll stop the moaning on here for us selling players for SEVEN figures.

I bang my head on the table at some of our fans, really. The model is to buy, develop and sell. Atkinson has been earmarked as such a player. We have McNally in house already and bearing in mind the relative success of the model I can see us finding another gem from elsewhere. We don’t own our stadium and make no money from it. Player trading and tickets is the ONLY way we can raise revenue other than benevolence from the owner.

Why does it need explaining repeatedly on here?!

Last edited:
I know how we can stop this nonsense about colossal clubs like Celtic wanting to buy our players. We buy rubbish ones. No on else good will want them and we get to keep them. Sure, there’s no return on investment with them and they cost the club to keep and we’re likely to go down for them being substandard, but it’ll stop the moaning on here for us selling players for SEVEN figures.

I bang my head on the table at some of our fans, really. The model is to buy, develop and sell. Atkinson has been earmarked as such a player. We have McNally in house already and bearing in mind the relative success of the model I can see us finding another gem from elsewhere. We don’t own our stadium and make no money from it. Player trading and tickets is the ONLY way we can raise revenue other than benevolence from the owner.

It is frustrating to lose players as soon as they get good but as you say it’s how we can compete with bigger teams. It’s worth remembering that Brentford sold Ollie Watkins and Neil Maupay and still went up.

I know how we can stop this nonsense about colossal clubs like Celtic wanting to buy our players. We buy rubbish ones. No on else good will want them and we get to keep them. Sure, there’s no return on investment with them and they cost the club to keep and we’re likely to go down for them being substandard, but it’ll stop the moaning on here for us selling players for SEVEN figures.

The objective is to get to the championship,we aren’t going to do that if we sell every good player we get for far too small amounts of money.

Not necessarily, he could have an injury next season and be out for a while. You can't go on the assumption that a player will be worth more 6 months or 12 months down the line. If Atkinson wants to move on and we don't accept the offer it could also mean we have a player not commited to the cause. Not to mention it has been our model every season to sell a player, we don't know the ambition of the new owners yet as they haven't spoken.
Correct - look at Shandon Baptiste

The way I look at it is how many potential Rob Atkinson's can we get for the money we sell for Rob Atkinson? And given our track record I'd say we're in good hands to get a couple. Plus i'm sure of a nice little sell on

So consensus seems to be 2 million plus say 20 per cent sell on would be acceptable. I do have faith that the money would go back into the team and that we’d replace him well, as our recruitment in all areas bar full back has been pretty good.
But would it be reinvested, the amount of money we have earned through transfer income not to much has been reinvested

Atkinson also has two years left on his contract so we don’t really have to sell this summer unless crazy money is offered saying that I don’t think he will be here come the start of the season
He does but if the player's head is turned and he's offered 4x what he's on now (which given he came from Eastleigh won't be big bucks), it's very hard to stand in his way.

But would it be reinvested, the amount of money we have earned through transfer income not to much has been reinvested
We’ll i think it has been reinvested in paying the wages and fees of our other good players. Otherwise you rely on rich blokes basically paying for them out of their own pockets which is a risky road to go down

I'm glad that for the first time since he's taken the helm, KR hasn't named his targets in public (unless I've missed it) and stated that they're about to sign for us. In the past he's been all too eager to tell us which players fit the bill and yet fail to get them signed to the club.

All we have had this transfer window is rumours from various twitter feeds which is alright with me and bodes well that we can have discussions with players about coming in without it being played out too openly in the press.

McGuane and Williams are good initial signings, I'm not convinced that the rumoured Harrison signing would be a good one as he's on big money at Pompey (or was - don't know if he's been offered a lower deal by them) and his goalscoring record at League 1 level is poor for a striker being 1 in 5.

If Atkinson goes for £2m with 20% sell on fee, that's good business in the current climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom