Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those saying 'no we shouldn't sell' and that 'if we're serious about promotion we'd keep him', where have you been for the past 5 years? This is the model, and it's one that's bringing money to the club and ensuring that we're not only avoiding haemorrhaging losses but we're actually in profit too.

It's not like that money disappears either, it gets reinvested either to the playing staff or club infrastructure. If we sell a player then we'll get a replacement, or more likely we'll have already signed them. Atkinson arrived as Dickie's replacement and now McNally is Rob's. When we can't make any money from the stadium we have to use this model.

Karl knew these were the guidelines when he signed up to manage us, and for all my criticisms of his tactical ability and game management, bringing through youth and developing players has been one thing him and the club have been successful at. When we sold Dickie these exact things were floating around, with fans claiming it was the end of days. But guess what? Atkinson stepped up.

Players will move on, it's just the way of third-tier football. And I'd rather we get hundreds-of-thousands if not millions of pounds for them rather than refusing to sell them and letting them go on a free, all for the sake of a gamble on promotion.
And with that attitude being our model, we may as well give up hopes of harbouring promotion to the championship.

And with that attitude being our model, we may as well give up hopes of harbouring promotion to the championship.
Why? We've been pretty close in the past two seasons whilst using this model. Unless you're suggesting that it's hindering us from getting 1st or 2nd? There are many sides in this division who have bigger budgets, to compete we have to build a less-expensive squad full of talented younger players we develop and sell on. That's not a lack of ambition, it's the reason why we've been competitive.

Yep the same, posted a £6m half year loss the other week and couldn’t agree terms with Eddie Howe. Whatever they get for Edouard I don’t think they’ll be slashing big fees on third tier players.
If you want to do a deal with a club that doesn’t post a loss even in normal times we’ll never sell anyone again. Nor would we buy anybody ourselves.

I can see your point, I don’t think anybody being realistic expects multi, multi millions for him, but I think even an extra 500k to get over the 2m mark really should be the target. I guess we’ll find out soon.

This is the time when clubs will begin sounding out potential players, and some will sneak into the public domain. It doesn't mean that we're looking to sell, or Rob is looking to leave, but clubs putting feelers out.

We've all seen Rob Atkinson this season and can see his potential. There are very few centre backs of his age that are so comfortable on the ball. He glides past players and would get more space to play in the further up the leagues he goes. That attracts a huge premium, and will more than cover for the fact that he can be defensively naive at times. The fact that some are talking about how much more he'd be worth after another season is exactly why clubs are sniffing now. £1.5-£2m? Probably a realistic price, but Rob Dickie has shown that clubs could potentially triple that in a year or so in the Championship and it's a gamble worth taking.

I'm not sure that we'll be desperately looking to sell, but as @Front Post said, it's not easy to hold on to someone offered 4x their wages that can set them up for life. If he does go, Luke McNally has been brought in to maintain the development line but I suspect that we'll go for an experienced replacement to partner Moore, with McNally playing more of a development role this season.

Let's wait and see, but I'd rather have the excitement of multi million pound sales and tattoo spotting in training ground tweets than the retirements and non-league free transfers that we had a few years ago!!

Atkinson also has two years left on his contract so we don’t really have to sell this summer unless crazy money is offered saying that I don’t think he will be here come the start of the season

This Left back we’re linked with Jamie Robson. Red carded last game of the season. Does that mean if he were to sign we wouldn’t be able to play him for a few games?

If their initial offer is £1.6m with add-ons, then I don’t think it would take a master negotiator to get them up to £2m with maybe slightly increased add-ons. Clubs surely go in with a slightly lower initial offer than they’d be willing to go to, you would have thought.

Maybe it’s just me liking round numbers but I’d feel much better with Atkinson leaving us for £2m up front, with 15% of the profit from any future fee and an extra £500k if promoted to the PL than say £1.6m, 10% and £300k promotion add on - it just feels more like a serious, reasonable type of fee.

If we do sell this window I’d be demanding a hefty sell of fee, didn’t Bristol City sell Adam Webster to Brighton for around £20m?

This Left back we’re linked with Jamie Robson. Red carded last game of the season. Does that mean if he were to sign we wouldn’t be able to play him for a few games?

Depends what the red card offence was but normally its a 1 match ban for the following season. But it might not apply since the red card was in a Scottish league .

If you want to do a deal with a club that doesn’t post a loss even in normal times we’ll never sell anyone again. Nor would we buy anybody ourselves.

I can see your point, I don’t think anybody being realistic expects multi, multi millions for him, but I think even an extra 500k to get over the 2m mark really should be the target. I guess we’ll find out soon.
I’d totally agree with that, if we pushed it to £1.8m/£1.9m I don’t think that would be the disaster that many would make it out to be.

No worries, guys. Scotchers reassured me a while back when I voiced the concern, that Atkinson wouldn’t go for silly money to a Championship side. And as you know, he is ITK.

What's silly money?
In the case of a young, left-sided centre back with VAST potential, anything under £2 million plus add-ons. But unfortunately we seem to be a soft touch with outgoings. Are QPR currently thinking they paid too much for a centre back with far less potential than Atkinson? They’re laughing.

In the case of a young, left-sided centre back with VAST potential, anything under £2 million plus add-ons. But unfortunately we seem to be a soft touch with outgoings. Are QPR currently thinking they paid too much for a centre back with far less potential than Atkinson? They’re laughing.
You don't really understand football do you?

Edit. And just to qualify that, £2m for a player with one league season behind him and with obviously development needs, is an above average fee under normal circumstances. After 18 months without crowds and the financial pressure that comes with that, then £2m would present a very good fee (especially with a load of extra add ons included).

Last edited:
If Atkinson is sold for any figure starting with a 1 then that is another example of why we need someone to handle negotiations, rather than it being left to any one of several people, as we’ve been told is the case currently.

Nothing wrong with selling players on, it’s both essential for the club’s sustainability and a simple reality of life at this level, especially if players want to go (which people often forget matters), but a left footed centre back who likes to dribble 30/40 yards with the ball like that, and who is only going to get better, is a real rarity. Doesn’t matter how much he was bought for - that’s not how it works. He’s worth what he’s worth whether he was signed for £500 or £500,000.

Obviously there would be sell-on clauses etc, but 1.6 would be disappointing. He’s worth at least another million quid up front.
The opening part of your post is the crucial part. The club has been imho a too nice a club for years on things like this (and lots of other things of which I'll stay away from atm because my own list of behind the scenes moans are exhaustive lol) but to me and some of the other season tickets holders that I sit next to also believe that we as a club seem to get regularly turned over far too easily.

I do hope with the money men who are now supposedly on board that we can now afford to have our own proper 'club type negiotator' to deal with things like this who have the club's best interests at heart at all times.

It is probably the time to look at the way that the Brentford and Peterborough's of this world deal with situations like this. Both these modest clubs sell but still move up the leagues and if we are all ambitious together fans and board alike we could emulate those two quite easily.

Little '6k average attendance' Peterborough are in the Championship next season whilst Brentford who Oxford played regularly once are now lining up to play Arsenal in the premiership come August. It can be done but negotiations and negotiators are crucial. Imho we do not need to employ another phantom job of title of let's say 'head of photo copying' but get a person in properly and permanently who can do the negotiation job right first time and manoeuvre this club forward in a much more professional way.

I didn't want to mention little Wickly Wanderers but they are a small club whose grandeur atm is 'progressive forward thinking' and we as a club should be f*cking miles ahead of these clumpets with our new board of hopefully ambitious owners.

If we are going to sell...then sell well and make sure this doesn't distract from our own forward hopeful ambitions of moving up the leagues to this top 30 position which has been bantered about.

COYY'S.

Of course it would be good if we could hold on to Rob Atkinson for another season, but the money being mooted for him is enough to keep things ticking along financially.
After all, This is what we do, develop, add value, move em’up the foodchain and Do it all again. Hopefully bringing in even better quality from the off while we flirt with promotion.
It does seem to be working pretty well up to now.
Next!!

Why? We've been pretty close in the past two seasons whilst using this model. Unless you're suggesting that it's hindering us from getting 1st or 2nd? There are many sides in this division who have bigger budgets, to compete we have to build a less-expensive squad full of talented younger players we develop and sell on. That's not a lack of ambition, it's the reason why we've been competitive.
And if we go up we do need good enough players to keep us up,which is why selling for peanuts won’t get us anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom