Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.6 million! A huge test for our new billionaires!

I am surprised as was made to look utterly average by Blackpools forward line, but so much potential.

Always concerned when Alan Nixon is tweeting stuff about departures.
One of the most informed EFL journalists there is. Often ridiculed but normally because he reports interests right from day one, and as we all know, not everything comes through.

1.6 million! A huge test for our new billionaires!

I am surprised as was made to look utterly average by Blackpools forward line, but so much potential.
I doubt they’re in it to make big personal losses bankrolling us, so suspect we’ll take a seven figure profit and reinvest.

Interesting that there's noise around Atkinson and not Moore. For me, Moore is currently the better defender, but Atkinson has the potential and his talent with the ball at his feet can mask some of his defensive frailties. Would've liked to have seen another season from him here before moving on, but anything over £1.5m is good business considering we only bought him for a fraction of that 18 months ago.

If he does leave I'd like to see some of that money reinvested in a senior centre back in their mid-to-late 20s. McNally was brought in with an eye to development, so if we want to give ourselves the best possible chance to win games at the start of the season, we ideally need a senior Atkinson replacement ready to go from day one.

Last edited:
1.6 million for Atkinson with still the uncertainty of next season attendances is a good bit or buisness. Aslong as we reinvest some of these funds I wouldn't be mad at the club for selling.

I don’t think that price is as good as a lot make out. Left footed ball playing centre backs are a rarity. Only have to look at Mings getting selected for England due to the lack of them. Also breaks up a outstanding partnership after the back 4 has already lost Ruffels. Not for me. Unless it’s mad money, we have to try and keep him!

I don’t think that price is as good as a lot make out. Left footed ball playing centre backs are a rarity. Only have to look at Mings getting selected for England due to the lack of them. Also breaks up a outstanding partnership after the back 4 has already lost Ruffels. Not for me. Unless it’s mad money, we have to try and keep him!
Agreed, plus we have millionaires on our board, thought we didn’t need to sell….

If Atkinson is sold for any figure starting with a 1 then that is another example of why we need someone to handle negotiations, rather than it being left to any one of several people, as we’ve been told is the case currently.

Nothing wrong with selling players on, it’s both essential for the club’s sustainability and a simple reality of life at this level, especially if players want to go (which people often forget matters), but a left footed centre back who likes to dribble 30/40 yards with the ball like that, and who is only going to get better, is a real rarity. Doesn’t matter how much he was bought for - that’s not how it works. He’s worth what he’s worth whether he was signed for £500 or £500,000.

Obviously there would be sell-on clauses etc, but 1.6 would be disappointing. He’s worth at least another million quid up front.

If we sell Atkinson then I really do question our ambition and before anyone says we have to sell to survive, sorry but we’re not in the conference anymore, we need to be aiming high
We have to sell to be sustainable/viable/profitable. We have to sell to show our current assets and anyone we may want to bring in that there is a pathway to the top that OUFC clearly is not currently. The key is that profit is utilised and Atkinson sensibly replaced. With McNally one for the future, we could sign someone further on in their career with less of a ceiling than RA but perfectly competent at L1 level and be a million quid better off. Reinvest half of that sensibly in another asset and bank half, and the club and its model wins again.

If Atkinson is sold for any figure starting with a 1 then that is another example of why we need someone to handle negotiations, rather than it being left to any one of several people, as we’ve been told is the case currently.

Nothing wrong with selling players on, it’s both essential for the club’s sustainability and a simple reality of life at this level, especially if players want to go (which people often forget matters), but a left footed centre back who likes to dribble 30/40 yards with the ball like that, and who is only going to get better, is a real rarity. Doesn’t matter how much he was bought for - that’s not how it works. He’s worth what he’s worth whether he was signed for £500 or £500,000.

Obviously there would be sell-on clauses etc, but 1.6 would be disappointing. He’s worth at least another million quid up front.
I’m not imagining that Bristol City and Celtic’s transfer budgets during a pandemic are stretching much beyond £1.5m unfortunately.

Unless Atkinson kicks off and makes it impossible for us to keep him, then we need to play hard here. Also great player that he is, I am not sure if he is ready for the Championship yet. Could we sell him with him and then him loaned back? I guess for the fee involved that would be unlikely but hope it's asked. Feels like a very big couple of months coming up for the club..

“What price tag should we stick on Atkinson?”

”Err... How much did we get for Matt Elliott..?”

”£1.6 million”

”That’ll do“

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom