Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

QPR are a club we have strong links with (even before the Dickie transfer) and we have played them in 'behind closed doors' training games a few times in the last couple of years. Masterson is someone we have continued to monitor, and can also play in a defensive midfield role if needed.

He's out on contract in the summer, snd out of QPR's plans. Could well be a loan with the option to buy in the summer, or a permanent deal for a nominal fee (around £100k).

He’s under contract until 2023.

Yep! The difficulty is that you can't just get someone in to train for a few days to get a proper feel for their fitness and ability to fit into our set up. It means relying on data and videos which have their limitations.

As I said, players have been identified and clubs spoken to. In theory it's now just about putting the final touches together, but it's difficult to be certain of how long this will take. But I'll stick my neck out and say this week for 1, next week for 1 more and a couple in and out in the last week of January.
News? A left winger? A centre back yes but as cover for Moore and Atkinson surely? As I can’t see a centre back wanting to come in and bench warm, it’s the left wing position KR seems to be actively seeking, and will it be 2 or 4 players.
But as has been said coronavirus could curtail the season. 😊

I think this is one of our biggest problems. The strategy seems to twist and turn depending of our last couple of results or performances, or which way the wind is blowing. Everyone knows we need a centre back! To hear KR said but we have Hanson, Long and Ruffels who can play there is worrying. Sure they might be able to cover the position but then who covers them? Suddenly instead of just losing one player from the back line and replacing him like for like - we move one player over to the middle and replace him with an inferior option So you have 50% of your back line not quite on it.
Don’t get me wrong I thought Long was amazing coming into the middle for a short time but it should be as a last resort not a strategy.

I think it worrying that even if "fourgate"," was kr and his usual diatribe this time of year, that kind of comment does give the impression that we may have to make do. Having only realistically Moore and Atkinson, as the genuine centre backs in the squad, one injury and the whole system is up the spout.
Long is pulled away from where he is playing so well, and the current equilibrium is broken.

I think it worrying that even if "fourgate"," was kr and his usual diatribe this time of year, that kind of comment does give the impression that we may have to make do. Having only realistically Moore and Atkinson, as the genuine centre backs in the squad, one injury and the whole system is up the spout.
Long is pulled away from where he is playing so well, and the current equilibrium is broken.
Interesting that you use this one scrap from KR to further your narrative of doom, and ignore the point where he's clearly stated that we're looking to bring in a centre back. Or the fact that we've been linked to 2 or 3 centre backs already.

In fact, as always, the diatribe is from you!

Or ensures we aren’t held to ransom by other teams by suggesting publicly that we’re not as desperate as we all know privately that we are?

Give it a rest

News? A left winger? A centre back yes but as cover for Moore and Atkinson surely? As I can’t see a centre back wanting to come in and bench warm, it’s the left wing position KR seems to be actively seeking, and will it be 2 or 4 players.
But as has been said coronavirus could curtail the season. 😊
Well with 92 clubs, or is it 91 now, there must be about 92 centre backs warming benches week in week out. I wouldn’t imagine any player wants to come and warm the bench but surely if he’s good enough he‘d back himself to break in to the team ? Surely Oxford United are capable of signing a centre back good enough to oust Moore or Atkinson from the side ? This is how teams evolve and players currently with the shirt improve.

Take Eastwood, he’s gone backwards in my opinion because he hasn't really had any serious competition, until now, for about four seasons. Sam Long has improved massively this season because we have a couple of very viable options in his position. Ruffles has upped it a notch in December, anything to do with January just around the corner I wonder ? Proper players, existing and incoming, will thrive on competition for places.

Well with 92 clubs, or is it 91 now, there must be about 92 centre backs warming benches week in week out. I wouldn’t imagine any player wants to come and warm the bench but surely if he’s good enough he‘d back himself to break in to the team ? Surely Oxford United are capable of signing a centre back good enough to oust Moore or Atkinson from the side ? This is how teams evolve and players currently with the shirt improve.

Take Eastwood, he’s gone backwards in my opinion because he hasn't really had any serious competition, until now, for about four seasons. Sam Long has improved massively this season because we have a couple of very viable options in his position. Ruffles has upped it a notch in December, anything to do with January just around the corner I wonder ? Proper players, existing and incoming, will thrive on competition for places.
Well there maybe 91 but if KR was satisfied with Moore or Atkinson yes I would think his priority would be a CB that would start straight away, but at the moment both of our CB’s have done well enough to keep their place. So the question would be to the 3/4 CB’s we’re looking at would they be prepared to start on the bench or s
Do we look at a competent CB who is of similar ilk to Moore and Atkinson.

Well there maybe 91 but if KR was satisfied with Moore or Atkinson yes I would think his priority would be a CB that would start straight away, but at the moment both of our CB’s have done well enough to keep their place. So the question would be to the 3/4 CB’s we’re looking at would they be prepared to start on the bench or s
Do we look at a competent CB who is of similar ilk to Moore and Atkinson.
The sort of players we will be looking at will either be young prospects to continue the legacy of Dickie/Moore/Atkinson or established players with 4 months left on their contracts, looking to secure a long term contract. Both groups would likely accept that they'd not automatically go into the first team. And before the likes of Kip say that we're going for the cheap option, it's more to do with the circumstances we're seeing in football right now. I wouldn't expect to see many large cash deals at all, especially in league 1 and 2.

When we signed Rob Dickie is was months before he made is debut also seen to remember the first time we signed Phil Gilcrist he didn’t go straight into the team , players will be happy to come here and they won’t expect to play straight away especially as we have won our last four games in a row ! If they demand they go straight into the team we don’t want them !

When we signed Rob Dickie is was months before he made is debut also seen to remember the first time we signed Phil Gilcrist he didn’t go straight into the team , players will be happy to come here and they won’t expect to play straight away especially as we have won our last four games in a row ! If they demand they go straight into the team we don’t want them !
Hmmm think Phil G went straight into the side tbh , replacing the static Steve Wood !!

I do hope KR isn't doing his "looking for someone who can play CB, RB, RW and make the tea" schtick. I know the squad cap is there but you simply need three out-and-out CBs in the squad to cope with injuries, form, etc. There's a lot to be said for the Aaron Martins, Charlie Raglans, Cameron Normans and Kevin Sandwiths of this world.

The sort of players we will be looking at will either be young prospects to continue the legacy of Dickie/Moore/Atkinson or established players with 4 months left on their contracts, looking to secure a long term contract. Both groups would likely accept that they'd not automatically go into the first team. And before the likes of Kip say that we're going for the cheap option, it's more to do with the circumstances we're seeing in football right now. I wouldn't expect to see many large cash deals at all, especially in league 1 and 2.
Ok so what more have you heard or can enlighten us with.
Regarding Kip if we paid 100k for Whyte and for what we sold 12 month later....then that was cheap as Kip sorry chips.

Falcon cannot hear the falcon, gyres and whatnot.

Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold etc etc my memory of Yeats isn't what it was, if it ever was.

We need a CB like the dessert needs the wind, to coin a phrase. Expecting another exciting wide player.

Back
Top Bottom