Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

:Lord Appleton played a winger who couldnt defend at left back and made £2m profit on him

Not saying Clare is in the same class but it is a thing.
A thing you can afford to try when you have a solid and settled defence. In this situation it is lunacy to continue with it.

I actually think Clare looks very promising going forward, I'd like to see us play him as a winger. We are not in a position to be "teaching" him how to defend if we keep dropping points because of it.

A thing you can afford to try when you have a solid and settled defence. In this situation it is lunacy to continue with it.

I actually think Clare looks very promising going forward, I'd like to see us play him as a winger. We are not in a position to be "teaching" him how to defend if we keep dropping points because of it.

Quite right. We should be playing Clare on one of the wings, and Cooper can play on the other. Henry can play just behind the striker.

The missing piece of the jigsaw is a centre half. I do like how we bought Atkinson in to blend with the other players as soon as we signed him. We then loaned him straight out back to Eastleigh. Which showed he wasn’t ready for Lge One football. He was only bought back early because Mous was injured, so we needed cover for either Moore or Dickie. What we need is someone to take charge of the back line, and someone with an experienced head on there shoulders. Forget Mous his legs have gone! Keep him on as a coach, and pass on his knowledge to the younger players so they can benefit.

There are a few good centre half’s out there without a club, but I suspect KR will react when the horse has bolted.

Keep hearing Mous’s legs have gone. How do you know that? Surely an experienced head, counts for something?

• React
Reactions: Ian
How much an issue is it to Elliot Moore that he has switched to playing right sided centre back from left where he looked extremely solid ?
I know he has had a lot on his mind but wondered about the tactical switch to accommodate Atkinson.

Every possible solution to our current woes, be it formation change, wing backs, more experience, involves bringing in a new centre back.

It is blindingly, brutally obvious. Yet Karl is doing a Boris, of not doing whats obviously needed, because thats what people are telling him to do. And hes cleverer thsn that.

It looks like this will be a reoccurring issue and Atkinson will most likely miss many more games this season because of it.

We shouldn't even consider Mousinho as a player now. He's looked off the pace for a while, struggling with injuries and is basically apart of the management full time now. I think his only appearance this season was against Watford and he got dragged around all over the place.

There's a possibility that Long - Moore will be our main CB partnership this season. That alone is relegation material.

Why the f**k are we not signing a CB?

If Mousinhos legs are struggling, perhaps a back 5 could help a little...

Clare Long Moore Mousinho Ruffles
Sykes Gorrin Henry
Taylor Winnall

Or something similar?! Just a thought

Even if Mous is going to be fit enough at some point (from all reports he looked a mile off in pre-season) we need another centre back.

Atkinson obviously has recurring issues. Mous is not going to be playing two games a week. Long isn't a centre back. We can't even draft Hanson into defence, because he's knackered. So we have Moore as one likely to be there for most matches. That is paper thin, and we have already seen (and are still seeing unfortunately) what happens with an inexperienced and makeshift defence.

What happens if Moore gets injured? You can't expect him to play all forty odd games this year...
Please, please, for the love of God...Ruffels, Moore, New CB, Long until we stop leaking stupid goals!

It needs addressing ASAP, because at the moment we are shipping goals like Southend last season, and we all know what happened to them.

It’s very obvious and it’s not that hard to sort out sign a decent CB there are a few out there with our clubs and aren’t injured like winnall was who could fit in to our team go with 5 at the back which would also help Eastwood to give him abit more protection get Clare as a wing back Ruffels down the other side can attack but not quite like Clare so would be more a James Milner when he plays LB for the bin dippers
You could quite easily have
Clare long new CB Moore ( back in a position he done well last season) Ruffels and when Clare attacking we go four move long over and so on

I'm not saying that there aren't issues, but bringing in someone out of contract, without a competitive game under their belt for several months, putting them into an every changing, low in confidence defence, and then randomly changing to a 5 at the back system that basically means that we'd still have huge gaps at right back, and Ruffels being stuck in no man's land on the left, is really not the answer!!!

Like it or not, we've got what we've got until January and can hopefully get Mous or Atkinson back fit and into a regular back 4.

I'm not saying that there aren't issues, but bringing in someone out of contract, without a competitive game under their belt for several months, putting them into an every changing, low in confidence defence, and then randomly changing to a 5 at the back system that basically means that we'd still have huge gaps at right back, and Ruffels being stuck in no man's land on the left, is really not the answer!!!

Like it or not, we've got what we've got until January and can hopefully get Mous or Atkinson back fit and into a regular back 4.
Atkinson could be another 2/3 weeks minimum which is six games

Wow! Not the most positive response we've all come to expect.

Got to say though, going with what we've got until January? Really? So, we are confident that Atkinson will throw off his niggling injury, Mous will have grown new legs, Moore will not get any injuries, suspensions etc and, Longy and Ruffs will just hold it all together in this ad hoc style of play that seems to be a trade mark of our team at the moment.
That's not just "issues", that's a recipe for disaster. We may pick up a few points along the way but unless we start banging in goals galore, trouble is looming large.

If Mous was defo coming back fully fit and raring to go I'd feel much more confident rather than worrying if his legs have gone and then Atkinson injury worries leaves us dangerously weak . Easty needs a break but to add inexperienced Stevens to a makeshift defence is a big decision . Maybe needs to happen though ...'he who dares , Rodney '

Wow! Not the most positive response we've all come to expect.

Got to say though, going with what we've got until January? Really? So, we are confident that Atkinson will throw off his niggling injury, Mous will have grown new legs, Moore will not get any injuries, suspensions etc and, Longy and Ruffs will just hold it all together in this ad hoc style of play that seems to be a trade mark of our team at the moment.
That's not just "issues", that's a recipe for disaster. We may pick up a few points along the way but unless we start banging in goals galore, trouble is looming large.

But the alternative will be bringing in someone who may be fit, but certainly won't be match fit. Winnall has shown what happens without a full pre-season. It's unlikely that we'll see any benefit for several weeks by which time we maybe able to get better players in January.

I'm not saying that things are perfect, far from it, but expecting an "oven ready" centre back to come in and change things overnight is simply not realistic.

But the alternative will be bringing in someone who may be fit, but certainly won't be match fit. Winnall has shown what happens without a full pre-season. It's unlikely that we'll see any benefit for several weeks by which time we maybe able to get better players in January.

I'm not saying that things are perfect, far from it, but expecting an "oven ready" centre back to come in and change things overnight is simply not realistic.
|And yet, if quotes are to be believed, we are looking to bring in another winger. Another bench warmer. We need defence. Might not be match fit but if they can hold a position for 30 minutes, we might just ship fewer goals than we are presently. We have no back up. (other than youth and under 23's who, apparently, are not ready for league action)

We are NOT stuck with what we have got until January - KR has deliberately sacked a player off to make a space. He seems to want another winger. I don't think any of us on here think that's the first priority (speak up if you do, it would make for an interesting debate!) at the moment. And waiting until January to sort this out is stark staring bonkers. By the time we get to January, we will have played (Covid permitting) about 20 league games of a season that could well be cut short by circumstances and end up relying on PPG to 'finish' it.

Yes, there would be a question of getting any new signing match fit (winger OR defender) which is why the vast majority on here have been saying we need another defender for weeks - we would now be a long way down that road. Ever since the aging Mous got injured and looked so poor before he did so, a defender was the first priority. And now Atkinson has a recurring niggle that needs to be investigated, it's even more the way.

As it is, we are now in an awful position so far as the team and squad are concerned. Illness and injury have already taken their toll (plus yet another round of buying unfit/injured players who we are trying to nurse).

Back
Top Bottom