Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I do love the way people use "facts" to further what ever view they have.

MApp brings in a player on a free that may go for a fortune? Great. Robinson brings in Fosu and turn around a £3/4m profit in 6 months proves we're a selling club with no ambition. Add in Whyte for £2+m profit, or Gorrin who was getting championship interest and it only reinforces the negative.

MApp brings in a large number of young loanees? Great. Robinson does the same and it's shortsighted with players with no future at our club, and of course you never win anything with kids!

NAIL. ON. HEAD. Bravo

NAIL. ON. HEAD. Bravo
We should all have a little more faith in kr's. Why should he be viewed as any different as other managers in this league, who know what they need and state what they need to finalise the squad. MAPP today for example. kr has been very vocal in recent weeks relating to what players in what areas he needs to bring in to kick start our poor opening to the season.
As all clubs are under the same wage cap, squad size ect , so no manager should hold this up as an excuse to finalise their squads and I have faith kr will deliver the final pieces to the jigsaw to allow us to build on being in last seasons play off final, and keep our momentum on an upward spiral.

We have Sean Clare, Sam Long, Anthony Forde and, at a push, Jamie Hanson at right back, with about 8000 midfielders, so where do we need cover?

And does a 20 year old with 1 senior game under his belt offer experience?

So what's the reason for pursuing Robbie Gotts? Search me!!!
Sean clare right back 'shudder'

Yeah, you're right! Let's drop him and bring in a player who has one senior game to his name?!
I didnt say anything about that leeds player. From what i have seen sean clare isnt a defender. Hopefully he comes good. Long is adequate but would have liked to have seen us bring in an improvement on long. Or was that too much to ask?

I didnt say anything about that leeds player. From what i have seen sean clare isnt a defender. Hopefully he comes good. Long is adequate but would have liked to have seen us bring in an improvement on long. Or was that too much to ask?
Probably!

Hopefully by locking time, we've shown the same positive recruitment nous that MAPP has and have a squad equally as capable as Lincoln's is showing itself to be, and kr has not shyed away from the needs of the squad that he was so clear about around a week ago, in a waffled interview blaming the squad size restrictions, wage cap etc, that all clubs have had to deal with.
Thats Lincoln that lost to Bristol Rovers at home on saturday.

I think if you compare it to last season's signings, then there is a lack of first team experience, but the potential is there for many of those players to better the players recently departed.

Also, I think some of the comparisons are a bit unfair, including where you've effectively double counted a left winger as Browne was Fosu's replacement as first choice winger. Winnall for Mackie is a clear upgrade and it'll make up for the loss in other areas of the side. Dickie now is a much better player than Atkinson now, but given time he could be as good, even better. And if we get a first choice left winger in then you'll be comparing Cooper with Holland instead of Fosu/Browne, which evens that out a great deal. And with Osei Yaw and Asonganyi (and a resurgant Hall) we have depth in the attack like we didn't see last season. Are we as strong as we were last season? Not yet, but I think it's still too early to judge the incomings, and many have the potential to go very far.
I agree, and I also think comparing the incomings with the outgoings like for like is not quite right either. They are not their direct replacements. Okay they are in a literal sense, but in terms of their importance within the squad, who our key players are etc., the idea is that those already at the club who are now further along in their development step up and take up the mantle. At least that's how the model is intended to work. Of course not every target we identify and bring in is going to be a hit, so there will be peaks and troughs along the way, but you have to trust the overall process.

So for example rather than Atkinson being Dickie's replacement, this is actually Moore who is now the CB1, and Atkinson assumes Moore's previous role in the overall picture as understudy. I don't think anyone will argue Moore is close to Dickie's level, but when you actually think about it his progress was unfortunately hampered by the curtailed season. We were absolutely flying through middle Feb-early March and he was an ever present and had started to form a formidable partnership with Dickie, then Covid goes and ruins things. In ordinary circumstances he should have had another 9 games as a starter to bed in and learn from one of the best young CB's outside the premier league. Instead he's having to step up a bit earlier than we'd have probably been hoping. Also, and I'm not sure it's been picked up on, but Moore has always played on the left side of the CB pairing. I don't just mean with us, I'm talking for several years. Quite a bit of noise was made about it when he joined about how it would give us a natural balance. Now perhaps it's causing us an issue. Obviously Atkinson is left footed so Moore has had to shift over to the right, maybe it's taking him a little while to feel comfortable there? I guess some might say that he should find it an easy transition, but it must be true that playing right/left side is an important difference since we've had a fair few very good defenders look rather dodgy when being asked to play on the side to which they are not accustomed (I think Dunkley, Nelson and even Dickie initially had struggles playing on the left at some point).

It’s been deathly quiet lately. Not even a hint of a rumour.

I think that’s us done for the window. It may well be meaningless anyway since this season has a cloud hanging over it whether it gets completed or not.

Last edited:
I'm really concerned about injuries within the club today!

So please complete this warm up with me...... Arm out..... Thumb in the air as if you're giving your mate a thumbs up ?,......... Now thumb down to make a first as if you've just spotted a Swindon fan?,...... Now repeat this 20 times.
You are now refresh button ready!

Thinking of running a mental health destress workshop at 17:05 if fans need it.?

I interpret that when KR states we’ll only bring a player in that improves the team as per OM article today, then it’s code for no new players are likely to be signed.
I hope I’m wrong though.

However I don’t blame the club if this is the case as the financial future of the season is so ambiguous.

I believe we will still have a competitive season in any case with a realistic nudge at the playoffs.

I bloody love Oxford whatever happens.

Last edited:
Wouldnt this season be an ideal season to "go for it" ? With lots of clubs financially prudent there is maybe more chance this season than any other to get promoted. With us losing a few million anyway each season it doesnt really make sense to me to just cruise along in mid table. As we had a play off team already last season, it was only really dickie & browne that needed replacing with someone of similar caliber.

It’s sure to have been said before on this thread. There’s surely going to be lots of out of contract players available after the window closes.

Back
Top Bottom