Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Cap’n Hindsight here but actually there’s a case to be made that losing the play off final made financial sense. Because Prem don’t seem to be too arsed about giving the Championship any financial assistance.
If you keep a fairly L1 playing budget with Championship revenue share you can only be millions of pounds better off. Wycombe will come straight back down but will make a huge profit - it’s a unique position that only the three teams going into the Championship this season will find themselves in, and none of them are burdened with the financial overheads that your average Championship club has. They’re going in there with L1 overheads and Championship revenue shares.

Any forthcoming ‘bailout’ sums for those in L1 won’t be half the money you get for simply being in the Championship for a season, and it’ll be money that needs paying back (at least partially) rather than it being a form of prize money that’s yours, if you will. They’re incomparable payments.

EDIT: And that’s before you even get to the salary cap benefits, where even if (when) any of the promoted clubs come straight back down to L1 next season, their wage bill is calculated using the divisional average. Meaning they have an advantage over other L1 clubs, as well as more money in their pocket which isn’t any form of loan, if they want to invest in their playing squad.

Last edited:
Other than (hopefully) Winnall, have we had an upgrade in any position at the club from last season’s team?

Baptiste
Fosu
Browne
Dickie
Holland
Woodburn

vs

McGuane
Cooper
Atkinson
Clare
Osei Yaw
Asonganyi

Hard to make a case that we’ve done anything than go backwards. That maybe the harsh reality of our finances and that of football in general. It’s a good group of players with some real quality sprinkled in, but it’s going to take a very unlikely 26 hours to get near to last season’s level. I think our expectations should be set accordingly.

KR makes bold statement on recruitment and doesn't deliver shock
Been there too many times though.
If ever we needed the squad being added to, to cover such obvious problems it is now. It just is so glaringly obvious though, what we need.

Other than (hopefully) Winnall, have we had an upgrade in any position at the club from last season’s team?

Baptiste
Fosu
Browne
Dickie
Holland
Woodburn

vs

McGuane
Cooper
Atkinson
Clare
Osei Yaw
Asonganyi

Hard to make a case that we’ve done anything than go backwards. That maybe the harsh reality of our finances and that of football in general. It’s a good group of players with some real quality sprinkled in, but it’s going to take a very unlikely 26 hours to get near to last season’s level. I think our expectations should be set accordingly.
We should be pushing on from last season, not settling for mid table mediocrity. Lack of ambition, when the solution is so obvious.

Baptiste
Fosu
Browne
Dickie
Holland
Woodburn

vs

McGuane
Cooper
Atkinson
Clare
Osei Yaw
Asonganyi

Yes - Taylor (permanent) vs Taylor (loan); also Cam Bran on a new contract.

Baptiste
Fosu
Browne
Dickie
Holland
Woodburn

vs

McGuane
Cooper
Atkinson
Clare
Osei Yaw
Asonganyi

That's pretty stark, I know which of those teams would win a 6-a-side game.

I can't see us bringing anyone in at the moment, there's just too much uncertainty about. Let's just hope OUFC survive this pandemic and stay up if the season gets completed and go again from that point.

I kind of don’t want to see us sign anyone just to see if we really will get relegated with this squad...

If you keep a fairly L1 playing budget with Championship revenue share you can only be millions of pounds better off. Wycombe will come straight back down but will make a huge profit - it’s a unique position that only the three teams going into the Championship this season will find themselves in, and none of them are burdened with the financial overheads that your average Championship club has. They’re going in there with L1 overheads and Championship revenue shares.

Any forthcoming ‘bailout’ sums for those in L1 won’t be half the money you get for simply being in the Championship for a season, and it’ll be money that needs paying back (at least partially) rather than it being a form of prize money that’s yours, if you will. They’re incomparable payments.

EDIT: And that’s before you even get to the salary cap benefits, where even if (when) any of the promoted clubs come straight back down to L1 next season, their wage bill is calculated using the divisional average. Meaning they have an advantage over other L1 clubs, as well as more money in their pocket which isn’t any form of loan, if they want to invest in their playing squad.
I agree in the main, but this is probably not quite correct. Players and managers will have promotion wage increase clauses / bonuses in their contracts, and new signings will still be demanding low Championship wages, which will be much higher than what Wycombe players had been on previously.

Think it's also worth pointing out in this debate that, massively frustratingly, I can see a scenario where the Championship and Premiership play out full seasons but Leagues 1 and 2 have to stop too early to give final standings, meaning that there could be no relegation from the Championship. So Wycombe could set records for poor performance but still fluke their way to a second season in the division.

Baptiste
Fosu
Browne
Dickie
Holland
Woodburn

vs

McGuane
Cooper
Atkinson
Clare
Osei Yaw
Asonganyi

Im really glad others are seeing this too. We had the opportunity to add one or two players to a strong squad to go forwards. We didnt. We are hugely weaker and it shows in performance and league position.

If we dont bring in tomorrow, it will show our intent (rightly or not at this strange time) and our focus should then be on reaching that 12th place.

I agree in the main, but this is probably not quite correct. Players and managers will have promotion wage increase clauses / bonuses in their contracts, and new signings will still be demanding low Championship wages, which will be much higher than what Wycombe players had been on previously.
Yes, but not seven million quid’s worth of bonuses, which is roughly what you get handed the minute you walk through the door for TV and ‘solidarity’ payments. Also, contracts that have promotion wage increases generally have relegation wage decreases as standard. Otherwise no club would ever want to get promoted - it goes both ways. Beyond that, you sign who you sign. Nobody puts a gun in your mouth and says you have to start signing players on 8k a week. You’re free to pocket the cash and be sensible, especially now.

And if Wycombe spawn their way to a second season in the Championship by default, they’re REALLY quids in.

Yes, but not seven million quid’s worth of bonuses, which is roughly what you get handed the minute you walk through the door for TV and ‘solidarity’ payments. Also, contracts that have promotion wage increases generally have relegation wage decreases as standard. Otherwise no club would ever want to get promoted - it goes both ways. Beyond that, you sign who you sign. Nobody puts a gun in your mouth and says you have to start signing players on 8k a week. You’re free to pocket the cash and be sensible, especially now.

And if Wycombe spawn their way to a second season in the Championship by default, they’re REALLY quids in.
Yeah I'm sure it's negligible in the grand scheme of things - it's just probably not quite right to present them as the same rag-tag group of misfits (did you know they appoint four 'generals' in their squad? Delightful!) who scrapped their way to the Championship last season (despite only having 9 players on the first day of training after the summer! If you can believe it!), capturing the hearts of the nation in the process. PS - did you know - Adebayo Akinfenwa is very large!! ???

Yes I'm still bitter, what of it.

Back
Top Bottom