Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

5' 6'' so taller than Jake Wright and not in a contract with an EFL team

Am sorry but those keen on Browne are slightly deluded.
OK he was and still is developing but
  1. not consistent
  2. too greedy
  3. not a natural goal scorer
  4. not a out and out winger
  5. highly paid
Number 5 is the real issue as he is still better than what we have.
Blimey nearly convinced myself to change my mind
He has 10 goals in 45 league appearances for us, 4 in 11 in 2019-20 (not including playoffs). Bear in mind that he's mostly played for us on the wing, and that his first spell we were bloody awful for 75% of that season, and that's a pretty good scoring record. 4 in 11 last season extrapolates to 16 goals in a 44 game league season - that's really not bad. He also had 4 assists in 5 games in that winning run before the season was ended early. I don't think it's deluded to be impressed by those underlying numbers.

Also, this 'greedy'/selfish narrative I think is really unfair. It's been built up after he didn't run after a ball in the playoff final, in the 80th minute, that, had what happened next not happened, wouldn't have been registered by anyone. (Also, let's not forget, the whole squad was completely unfit and really can't and shouldn't be judged on those playoff games.) He frequently showed willingness to work hard off the ball throughout his time here, particularly during that second spell.

He'd be an unbelievable signing to get back again. Unfortunately, it's likely that he's outgrown us.

Last edited:
He has 10 goals in 45 league appearances for us, 4 in 11 in 2019-20 (not including playoffs). Bear in mind that he's mostly played for us on the wing, and that his first spell we were bloody awful for 75% of that season, and that's a pretty good scoring record. 4 in 11 last season extrapolates to 16 goals in a 44 game league season - that's really not bad. He also had 4 assists in 5 games in that winning run before the season was ended early. I don't think it's deluded to be impressed by those underlying numbers.

Also, this 'greedy'/selfish narrative I think is really unfair. It's been built up after he didn't run after a ball in the playoff final, in the 80th minute, that, had what happened next not happened, wouldn't have been registered by anyone. (Also, let's not forget, the whole squad was completely unfit and really can't and shouldn't be judged on those playoff games.) He frequently showed willingness to work hard off the ball throughout his time here, particularly during that second spell.

He'd be an unbelievable signing to get back again. Unfortunately, it's likely that he's outgrown us.
Was it the Southend game where Browne chased back to win a lost ball that ultimately set up Taylor for a late winner. Without that there may not have even been the playoffs. Then against Portsmouth he created and scored the one clear goal scoring opportunity in both games (from open play). Without that there may not have been a final.

The crap he got for not chasing a hopeless ball, that would have come to nothing 99% of the time, was ridiculous. Browne has been a good player for us and I'd be very happy to see him return. (Although sadly I'm not sure it will happen)

Last edited:
Am sorry but those keen on Browne are slightly deluded.
OK he was and still is developing but
  1. not consistent
  2. too greedy
  3. not a natural goal scorer
  4. not a out and out winger
  5. highly paid
Number 5 is the real issue as he is still better than what we have.
Blimey nearly convinced myself to change my mind
Would walk into our team though

• React
Reactions: m
MM has a resale value. Potentially millions in a short period of time. A loan doesnt. We cant keep selling players (baptise/fosu/dickie) etc and not replacing them with assets.

Shame that we have no other players in the squad with resale value then :(

Exactly, its so easy to say we dodged a bullet regarding a player who is top drawer, simple excuses. He was a player who would have made a difference to our season.
With the reliance on loans will we ever have a squad that doesnt get disbanded season after season and have to bring in 8 to 10 players and start all over again.
Currently, only 2 of our 24 first team players are loan players.

And last season, of the 7 loans we brought in, 2 signed permanently (Taylor, Thorne), one returned for another loan (Kelly), another we initially tried to sign permanently (Cadden) and the other three weren't available to sign permanently (Woodburn, Holland, Browne). If you compare that to other sides in the division, it's a pretty good record. It's hardly a 'dismantling', it's just player turnover that happens at any EFL club every summer.

Back
Top Bottom