Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

But KR says he’s struggling to get them through the door and yes we need a LB and CB as well Sean Clare is not a right back.

Genuine question, where has he said he is struggling? I've heard him talking about be willing to wait for the right player.

Plus, as far as I can tell, Charlton Athletic remain a basketcase of a club and their future is very much still up in the air. Although new owners may or may not seal a deal to purchase the club, in these coviddy times you would have thought that any new signings would favour stability over uncertainty. I'd think we're still a VERY attractive prospect to potential signings.

May be slightly biased.
As someone pointed out, yeah Charlton were bought, but they're still a bit of a basketcase imo, the point stands. Still got massive amounts of debt, and the new owner announced the purchase with a picture of himself playing an electric guitar captioned something like 'Time to ROCK OUT!' I don't know much about him, and maybe he'll be a wonderful owner for them, but in my experience eccentric individuals who see owning a football club as a bit of a joke and don't take it particularly seriously are rarely in it for the right reasons, and either jump ship as soon as the going gets tough or are involved for more sinister reasons. The words fryingpan and fire spring to mind.

No I agree with you , but the latest KR has targets a LW, LB and a CB but now he tells us he’s struggling to get them through the door and with just under 3 weeks to go before the window shuts, tick tock
I'm not sure he is struggling to get them through the door?
From what I can gather the winger he wants is a PL player who he is waiting for and may be available after the weekend. So llaying a waiting game rather than struggling to get through the door?
The transfer window is open for a while yet and lot will still happen in L1

As someone pointed out, yeah Charlton were bought, but they're still a bit of a basketcase imo, the point stands. Still got massive amounts of debt, and the new owner announced the purchase with a picture of himself playing an electric guitar captioned something like 'Time to ROCK OUT!' I don't know much about him, and maybe he'll be a wonderful owner for them, but in my experience eccentric individuals who see owning a football club as a bit of a joke and don't take it particularly seriously are rarely in it for the right reasons, and either jump ship as soon as the going gets tough or are involved for more sinister reasons. The words fryingpan and fire spring to mind.

Just to play Devil’s advocate, we’ve got serious debts ourselves and our Owner was late to his own launch press conference as the trains were running slow... [emoji6]

Just to play Devil’s advocate, we’ve got serious debts ourselves and our Owner was late to his own launch press conference as the trains were running slow... [emoji6]
Isnt operating at a loss, different to being in debt? To my understanding, operating at a loss means that expenditure exceeds revenue.

Do you mean liabilities?

If so, I think you'll be hard pushed to find a club at our level that isn't in a financial situation thats similar to ours.

Last edited:
Genuine question, where has he said he is struggling? I've heard him talking about be willing to wait for the right player.
A couple of weeks back we knew the target areas he wanted and was speaking to but had since said he was struggling to get them through the door, I’m due it was in the OM

I'm intrigued. In what way does some fans on a forum having heard of a player have any baring on whether they become a good signing or not?
Sometimes you see Joe Bloggs is through the door and you get a good sense of the way we’re going. But on the other hand we here he’s one for the future, sometimes that’s a good thing but after last season and how close we came to being in the championship you would like to think you would build on that.

I'm not sure he is struggling to get them through the door?
From what I can gather the winger he wants is a PL player who he is waiting for and may be available after the weekend. So llaying a waiting game rather than struggling to get through the door?
The transfer window is open for a while yet and lot will still happen in L1
Possibly on the winger after the weekend, but why after the weekend and not now? And just over 2 weeks before the window shuts

Given that there’s a wage cap, the only way the they could more easily afford him than Oxford, is if they have not spent as much on players that count under said cap than we have.

Good luck in explaining this one.

Isnt operating at a loss, different to being in debt? To my understanding, operating at a loss means that expenditure exceeds revenue.

Do you mean liabilities?

If so, I think you'll be hard pushed to find a club at our level that isn't in a financial situation thats similar to ours.

Urgh.

I'm sure you're not wrong in what you're saying but I find differentiating between 'being in debt' and 'having a liability' to be a very dubious distinction.

Not to mention tedious

I'm sure you're not wrong in what you're saying but I find differentiating between 'being in debt' and 'having a liability' to be a very dubious distinction.

Not to mention tedious
It's simply an accountancy difference regarding liability type, debt is a type of liability and I assure you its very tedious. I could write paragraphs giving you the full differences but not only will it be tedious but mind numbingly boring.

Sometimes you see Joe Bloggs is through the door and you get a good sense of the way we’re going. But on the other hand we here he’s one for the future, sometimes that’s a good thing but after last season and how close we came to being in the championship you would like to think you would build on that.

Never heard of this Joe Bloggs fella, who does he play for? And did he score 20 goals last season? Presumably, he's a left winger?

Not to mention tedious
I agree, it is tedious. Its also never black and white; especially in football.

My point was that the club arent in debt (bad debt) but we are, however, operating at a loss. Those two things aren't the same so shouldn't be seen as such.

I would like to think the club are in a good financial state, given the business we have done over the last couple of seasons.

I agree, it is tedious. Its also never black and white; especially in football.

My point was that the club arent in debt (bad debt) but we are, however, operating at a loss. Those two things aren't the same so shouldn't be seen as such.

I would like to think the club are in a good financial state, given the business we have done over the last couple of seasons.
No idea about whether the club debt is regarded as high given its current ownership structure. I was always taught you can make as many losses as you like but you only run out of cash once. That is very different from a cash hiccup which the club experienced in the early days of this ownership.

Back
Top Bottom