Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I hope above hope he is a good player for us, if he gets fit. There are many clubs though that pay better wages and spend money on players you would think would have snapped him up if he was as good as it gets. God we need him too. Last Saturday Dads Army could have done a better job on the pitch, and Captain Mainwaring from the dug out!
Looking at other teams squads, and what they have up front, and where Winnall is at the moment, do I think he's as good as it gets in this league? Not a cat in hells chance.

To be as good as it gets, he will need good service up front. Looking at the first two games, and what the keystone cops have served up so far in terms of recruitment, we have the pace of sloths on the wings, and he won't get the service he needs.
didnt know you knew all the finances of league 1 clubs.

Sam Winnall absolutely is as good as it gets at this level..... With Caveats. Hes had an injury ravaged few years, he has a lot of work to do but has the potential to be an inspired signing. If he gets the service of course.
But theres a reason he went all summer without a club. Its a punt. One well worth taking but still a punt. We needed 2 or 3 sure hits/proven L1 performers added to the squad alongside and we simply didnt do it.

Someone like Marcus Maddison has the ability to create but crucially turn on a little bit of magic, as from the first few games we are highly incompetent but also, bloody boring and predictable.

Struggled to get signings wrapped up? ?

Brannagan
Cooper
Clare
McGaune
Winnall
Osei
Taylor
Asonganyi
Kelly

You are talking absolute fart.
Well let’s look at your list
Brannagan yes a great signing
Cooper definitely going to be one to watch
Clare really? Nothing yet to write home about
McGuane? As above
Winnall I’m sure he will be worth the wait but hopefully Not to long
Osei I like what I’ve seen but young and one for the future
Taylor yes a great signing
Asonganyi haven’t seen anything yet
Kelly not done what we know he’s capable off.

Tes signings have been made but not all have made the step up to OUFC standard as of yet.

so @werthersoriginal isn’t talking fart but possibly silent but deadly

McGuane? As above

Tes signings have been made but not all have made the step up to OUFC standard as of yet.

I wasn’t saying they are no good, but that we are casting far and wide in the hope of getting good players at affordable prices. It’s partly being canny but also implies a lack of funds to go and get a solid proven reinforcement that can step right in.

The trouble is, Winnall is like the George Thorne situation, both excellent players, who probably are as good as it gets at this level, IF FIT.

But when they arrived, they were both nowhere near match fit, and hadn’t been for a long time.

Add Maddison, another player who has not had a club for a while now, so will also surely not be match fit, and will need time before we even see what he’s capable of, and who also apparently brings a lot of disruptive baggage
with him.

Like I say, it just seems like it’s gamble after gamble at the moment, without any tried and tested senior players, who are ready to hit the ground running, which is what we desperately need.

If that’s the position we’re in financially, that we have to take these risks on players, as it’s the cheaper option, then fine, but I think I’d rather have a squad of slightly cheaper players, who are good solid players at this level, and fully fit and raring to go, rather than a squad of more expensive players who are “as good as it gets at this level” IF they can get fit first, and stay fit, and not be too disruptive in the process.

This squad is made up of way too many unknowns, gambles and ifs and buts at the moment, and nowhere near enough sure things, and that’s a big concern.

Starting tomorrow, those who are fit and available for selection, need to step up to the plate, and show they were worth the gamble.

The trouble is, Winnall is like the George Thorne situation, both excellent players, who probably are as good as it gets at this level, IF FIT.

But when they arrived, they were both nowhere near match fit, and hadn’t been for a long time.

Add Maddison, another player who has not had a club for a while now, so will also surely not be match fit, and will need time before we even see what he’s capable of, and who also apparently brings a lot of disruptive baggage
with him.

Like I say, it just seems like it’s gamble after gamble at the moment, without any tried and tested senior players, who are ready to hit the ground running, which is what we desperately need.

If that’s the position we’re in financially, that we have to take these risks on players, as it’s the cheaper option, then fine, but I think I’d rather have a squad of slightly cheaper players, who are good solid players at this level, and fully fit and raring to go, rather than a squad of more expensive players who are “as good as it gets at this level” IF they can get fit first, and stay fit, and not be too disruptive in the process.

This squad is made up of way too many unknowns, gambles and ifs and buts at the moment, and nowhere near enough sure things, and that’s a big concern.

Starting tomorrow, those who are fit and available for selection, need to step up to the plate, and show they were worth the gamble.

A squad of good, solid players at this level....and battle it out for a spot between 8th and 16th every season?

McGuane? As above

My point was more to do with the "struggling to get deals done" statement. I agree, some signings haven't performed to their potential thus far but to suggest we have struggled to do business, isn't fair. Nor correct.

A squad of good, solid players at this level....and battle it out for a spot between 8th and 16th every season?
I think we need a few more of those to balance out our gambles and mavericks - but a team made up solely of guys from Crewe and Cheltenham wouldn’t be very exciting, as you say.

I think we need a few more of those to balance out our gambles and mavericks - but a team made up solely of guys from Crewe and Cheltenham wouldn’t be very exciting, as you say.

I guess the point is that we should already have a good number of these steady types - aka those remaining from last season's squad.

We could definitely do with a couple of nasty bastards though!

Preferable to battling against relegation. We need a few experienced players playing in their correct positions to stabilise the team, for at least this season, until the youngsters realise their potential.
There are some very good teams in this league this year. We need to consolidate for the time being.

As has been said, you need the core of your squad consisting of good solid pros at this level, with a sprinkling of young, raw, players and rough diamonds, not the other way around.

Sam Winnall absolutely is as good as it gets at this level..... With Caveats. Hes had an injury ravaged few years, he has a lot of work to do but has the potential to be an inspired signing. If he gets the service of course.
But theres a reason he went all summer without a club. Its a punt. One well worth taking but still a punt. We needed 2 or 3 sure hits/proven L1 performers added to the squad alongside and we simply didnt do it.

Someone like Marcus Maddison has the ability to create but crucially turn on a little bit of magic, as from the first few games we are highly incompetent but also, bloody boring and predictable.
I don't blame Robinson in taking a punt. It has to be done in a way. However, we have had some punts recently that haven't worked out unfortunately. I'm thinking of Woodburn, Thorne and Holmes. Jury still out on Hall and Kelly. I really hope Winnall works out but often when we take these gambles on excellent players with extensive injury records/lack of match fitness, it doesn't work out.

Edit: I'm sure someone will point to a stack of similar players who we have signed and it did work out!

Last edited:
Would at least rather have one or two youngsters step up and given the chance than someone who is going to play a few games then be out for quite a few months. With the current injury crisis announced today we may have to do this anyway, frightening who we may have to play in the back four against a robust Stanley side.

I'm not convinced we need loads more signings.

Is our current squad is as bad as the performances or results?

I'm not so sure it is. On paper we have some good players for this level. What we can say is that I don't think currently some of them are playing to their potential.
Add to this KR is a manager who is tactically slow to adapt (we have seen this in his time here it really takes him a while to find his best team and formation, and even then his formation and playing style he seems a bit limited). Injuries them always seem to throw him as our formations and playing style rely heavily on the talents of certain players. Another factor is I think this season we are starting to be found out in terms of how we play. Wycombe has provided a blueprint for teams on how to beat us (we rely heavily on moments of magic to beat these teams, than hope we don't concede silly goals).

The biggest issue for me so far has been the injuries of Mous and Gorrin. We have seen in the past our system requires a good holding midfielder to protect the defense. We have suddenly lost both of our best players in this position. Add to this the defense is relatively new lineup and this has led to mistakes. Moving forwards we talk a lot about having no pace. But is this really true? There is to me a difference between playing with pace and having pace. Having pace helps but is useless unless the mentality of the team is to get into positions pushing forwards and moving the ball forwards quickly. We seem intent on playing keep ball and the whole build up to an attack is woefully slow on occasion (Its like watching a bad England performance on occasion, all sideways and backwards passing). We have attacking players KR needs to get them pushing forwards and encouraging early balls towards the forward players.

I do think we need 2 or 3 players to fill in gaps and cover injuries. Long to me is not hitting the level required. We currently need an experienced player that can play holding midfielder / central defender (Mous replacement). Plus a pacy winger will help (but only if we start moving forwards more quickly).

We also need KR to find his best team and formation quickly and get our play moving forward quickly. He needs to start getting better performances from what he has. We need him to sacrifice possession for attack. Then I think we will be just fine.

I'm not so sure it is. On paper we have some good players for this level. What we can say is that I don't think currently some of them are playing to their potential.
Add to this KR is a manager who is tactically slow to adapt (we have seen this in his time here it really takes him a while to find his best team and formation, and even then his formation and playing style he seems a bit limited). Injuries them always seem to throw him as our formations and playing style rely heavily on the talents of certain players. Another factor is I think this season we are starting to be found out in terms of how we play. Wycombe has provided a blueprint for teams on how to beat us (we rely heavily on moments of magic to beat these teams, than hope we don't concede silly goals).

The biggest issue for me so far has been the injuries of Mous and Gorrin. We have seen in the past our system requires a good holding midfielder to protect the defense. We have suddenly lost both of our best players in this position. Add to this the defense is relatively new lineup and this has led to mistakes. Moving forwards we talk a lot about having no pace. But is this really true? There is to me a difference between playing with pace and having pace. Having pace helps but is useless unless the mentality of the team is to get into positions pushing forwards and moving the ball forwards quickly. We seem intent on playing keep ball and the whole build up to an attack is woefully slow on occasion (Its like watching a bad England performance on occasion, all sideways and backwards passing). We have attacking players KR needs to get them pushing forwards and encouraging early balls towards the forward players.

I do think we need 2 or 3 players to fill in gaps and cover injuries. Long to me is not hitting the level required. We currently need an experienced player that can play holding midfielder / central defender (Mous replacement). Plus a pacy winger will help (but only if we start moving forwards more quickly).

We also need KR to find his best team and formation quickly and get our play moving forward quickly. He needs to start getting better performances from what he has. We need him to sacrifice possession for attack. Then I think we will be just fine.
This.

We have lost one or two important vertebrae from our spine to injuries. We struggle to break it down and we struggle to find the gaps because of all of the above.

Not only that, but we've also lost leadership in the centre of defence. Not only was Dickie our best defender, he was also the Captain and I think we are missing his influence more than we realise. Whilst Atkinson may be able to replace him in footballing terms (time will tell) he can't simply step in and fulfill a leadership role....and I think it is this element we are currently missing and one of the reasons we look all at sea at times when we're under the cosh.

Yes we have senior players in the team, but none of them currently strike me as the leadership types....maybe they can rise to the challenge and a bit of work in this area would pay dividends!

We do lack pace so hopefully in the short time remaining he (KR) can bring in the missing piece which is pace. If however he doesn’t manage to bring in the 3 he requires then I would have to seriously ask why can’t he bring them in. At the moment this so called great transfer window some have said we’ve had is not great.

Back
Top Bottom