Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

I saw Rob Dickie look absolutely awful in some of his early games for us on the left, couldn’t win it in the air, was weak, positionally all wrong. Atkinson already looks better than Dickie did then so if he can improve at the same rate then we will be absolutely fine

On the other side when Gino Van Kessel first signed and scored that goal against I think Pompey, we all thought we had found the lower league Messi! Look how that turned out!

I saw Rob Dickie look absolutely awful in some of his early games for us on the left, couldn’t win it in the air, was weak, positionally all wrong. Atkinson already looks better than Dickie did then so if he can improve at the same rate then we will be absolutely fine
I think the big difference was the quality of the player Dickie had next to him to help him grow. Probably as important as Atkinson's form is how well Elliot Moore steps up as the senior partner!

Last edited:
On the other side when Gino Van Kessel first signed and scored that goal against I think Pompey, we all thought we had found the lower league Messi! Look how that turned out!

'Pepe put Van Kessel on, Pepe put Van Kessel on, Pep put Van Kessel on and we scored three!' ;):giggle:

Another injury in defence tonight with Mous likely to be out for a while, I personally think Mousinho looks well off the pace already not just tonight but all through the pre season as well, I think for the benefit of the team he should concentrate on coaching side of things & free up a space to get another centre back in with Dickie going 50/50 of us thinking we needed a replacement anyway & where as others thought no we’ve got Atkinson now but it looks like we really need one in as a possible first choice to partner Moore & could possibly free up Atkinson to play left back as he seemed confident to carry the ball forward from centre back serval times against Lincoln last Saturday?

Lloyd Jones wouldn’t surprise me. Knows Brannagan & worked with KR at Liverpool.. free agent after leaving Luton I think.

Atkinson has played no games in the EFL and Moore has only played half a season’s worth. Mousinho is essentially a player-coach now and at 34 his legs could go in the space of a fortnight. We are really light at centre back. It would be a gamble to stay as we are.
Womp. And the salary / numbers cap has now made it significantly more difficult to get sufficient and suitable cover in, despite the fact we could afford it under normal circumstances. Just sold a centre back for a million quid and can’t even replace him with a loan, unless they’re essentially a teenager. Or unless we sell / loan someone out to make space and start to leave ourselves short in other areas. How has it helped anybody?

What’s the priority in terms of the three positions we still need adding? LW, LB, CB.

Womp. And the salary / numbers cap has now made it significantly more difficult to get sufficient and suitable cover in, despite the fact we could afford it under normal circumstances. Just sold a centre back for a million quid and can’t even replace him with a loan, unless they’re essentially a teenager. Or unless we sell / loan someone out to make space and start to leave ourselves short in other areas. How has it helped anybody?

What’s the priority in terms of the three positions we still need adding? LW, LB, CB.

LB, LW, CB for me. We need a LB now and likewise a LW with pace. A LB now means Sam Long can play centrally if necessary and we have Nico Jones still. Maybe this is NJ's chance. So CB is still the last to be considered for me.

Edit: And it is going to be worse next year when we have to reduce senior squad numbers by another 2.

I think we need to get an experienced CB and LB In, if we need to accommodate wage cap I would suggest sending Agyei out on loan, maybe until Jan to get more game time (ideally Hanson as well but think it’s unlikely), I think left wing can be covered by other players in squad, but think we need a more experienced and organiser in the back four. *maybe a young lower cost loan LW from champ or prem team?

With squad numbers limited, might be a good idea to look at signing a Sam Long kind of player, capable of playing CB + LB.

Had a quick look through some free agents:

Joel Lynch (32) - Released from Sunderland at end of last season. Rumoured to be close to Charlton but they're still under embargo I think

Stephen Kingsley (26) - Left Hull in the summer, but meant to be quite injury prone.

Sean Kelly (26) - Was at Ross County last season, who signed him from Wimbledon so has L1 experience.

Doesn't really look like we're spoilt for choice there, and I suspect most free agents wouldn't be immediately match fit. Looking for a versatile (potenially short term) loanee may be a better option, but I wouldn't know any names.

Is it worth cancelling Mousinhos player contract and move him to a coaching role permanently? He looked off the pace last night, and now if he's injured for a long time it could be quite difficult to get a replacement in with the salary cap. Cancelling his player contract opens up that extra spot for a new replacement.

Is it worth cancelling Mousinhos player contract and move him to a coaching role permanently? He looked off the pace last night, and now if he's injured for a long time it could be quite difficult to get a replacement in with the salary cap. Cancelling his player contract opens up that extra spot for a new replacement.
Cancel his contract? I think he could sue the club if they did. How would you react if your work cancelled your contract?

Cancel his contract? I think he could sue the club if they did. How would you react if your work cancelled your contract?

I think they mean take him off the playing squad list rather than not pay him, hence moving to the coaching team. Depending on how long he is out it might become more of an option, even if only taking him off the playing list and loaning a player until January.

With squad numbers limited, might be a good idea to look at signing a Sam Long kind of player, capable of playing CB + LB.

Had a quick look through some free agents:

Joel Lynch (32) - Released from Sunderland at end of last season. Rumoured to be close to Charlton but they're still under embargo I think

Stephen Kingsley (26) - Left Hull in the summer, but meant to be quite injury prone.

Sean Kelly (26) - Was at Ross County last season, who signed him from Wimbledon so has L1 experience.

Doesn't really look like we're spoilt for choice there, and I suspect most free agents wouldn't be immediately match fit. Looking for a versatile (potenially short term) loanee may be a better option, but I wouldn't know any names.
I think that approach makes the most sense at this stage, get a CB in who can do a job on a year contract and this allows the club to spend more on LB and LM.

In January look at other options for the future if they become available or if Nico Jones gets a good loan move and plays well he could be considered this player.

I think they mean take him off the playing squad list rather than not pay him, hence moving to the coaching team. Depending on how long he is out it might become more of an option, even if only taking him off the playing list and loaning a player until January.

The devil will be in the detail but this is certainly worth looking at.

I think that approach makes the most sense at this stage, get a CB in who can do a job on a year contract and this allows the club to spend more on LB and LM.

In January look at other options for the future if they become available or if Nico Jones gets a good loan move and plays well he could be considered this player.

I think based on the limitations of the squad size, I can't see Nico Jones going out on loan as it is too risky, unless he goes on a short term loan to a Conference club and we can recall him after a month if necessary. Another stupid problem not thought about with the rushed in rule changes that may actually hinder the development of players.

I think based on the limitations of the squad size, I can't see Nico Jones going out on loan as it is too risky, unless he goes on a short term loan to a Conference club and we can recall him after a month if necessary. Another stupid problem not thought about with the rushed in rule changes that may actually hinder the development of players.
Yeah go on a loan to conference team and can get recalled. Same we did with Atkinson last season. No point Jones staying, he needs to play regular football now.

Back
Top Bottom