Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

So, with the horrific display on Saturday, and the injuries, coupled with the mass panic at Atkinsons suspension (pre oveeturn) is anyone else still thinking our summer business was brilliant?
Come on Kip, don't try to compete with @Mellowyellow !

It was poor on Saturday, but hardly horrific! Ruffels aside, we haven't any injuries to worry about. And yes, our transfer business so far has been very good. A left back is somewhere we were always looking to add to, but no one could have predicted that Ruffels would land funny during the first game. And, in fairness, Sam Long was possibly more effective on the left when he switched than on the right, so he can certainly cover a few games. So hold tight on the panic button for now, leave that for the other muppet!!

So, with the horrific display on Saturday, and the injuries, coupled with the mass panic at Atkinsons suspension (pre oveeturn) is anyone else still thinking our summer business was brilliant?

I think you’re about 5-10 games too early before you can actually answer that question.

Why, what are your expectations for brilliant summer?

At best I’d imagine ruffels will be out 4-6 weeks... though he might be able to soldier on. Ligament issues are painful as previous poster said - I did mine in my elbow about 4 years ago after a fall playing football and still occasionally get twinges.

In that case I was told not to play, run, etc for 5 weeks.

At best I’d imagine ruffels will be out 4-6 weeks... though he might be able to soldier on. Ligament issues are painful as previous poster said - I did mine in my elbow about 4 years ago after a fall playing football and still occasionally get twinges.

actually there’s a new game for us all - name your injuries. Bonus points if they involve Leon Clarke.

How is it moaning, isn't this a forum??
It's simply a comment on the current situation. You don't like it tough. It's something that does seem to happen every season
Either comment without the aggression or use the ignore button, like I've just done! :ROFLMAO:

Yep, same incoherent whining and confused half-truths.

Every season.

Still early days, but I wasn’t impressed with any of the new signings so I’m hoping that changes.

Normally you can tell if a player has something, but I didn’t see anything that made me think, wow, but like I said it’s early days.

What did concern me was our defence, very poor and fall backs offered little going forward. Also, our deliveries into the box are poor, again.

Here’s hoping this Saturday proves a lot better, oh and the free hit against Watford!

Any new signings coming in???

Don’t you mean shoulder on?

It's simply a comment on the current situation. You don't like it tough. It's something that does seem to happen every season
Either comment without the aggression or use the ignore button, like I've just done! :ROFLMAO:

We’re one game in of a 46 game season yet anyone reading your negative twaddle would think we have half a team with long term injuries, out of all the cup competitions and out of contention for a play off place...all of which are not the case.

Chill out and enjoy the ride. If, in *ten league game’s time we are in the lower reaches of the league then come back with your negativity but until then, it’s not really possible to read too much in to where we (or any other team) are really at just yet.

*even in 10 games time nothing will be won or lost...

I dont think anyone was saying it was 'brilliant' - but it could be, if we get decent left back cover and a pacy left winger in.

So far we've won in both cups and then lost a tricky away game. Unless you were hoping we went the season unbeaten then that will happen. Even if we lose the first five league games, a run of ten wins would change everything. Let's wait and see...

You must be ignoring a lot of people by now. You’ve just blocked the boards top tipster

I think that *everyone* would agree that signing Taylor and prolonging Brannagan's contract were pretty good bits of business, surely?

The other signings have been (so far!):
Asonganyi (who we haven't seen yet, so nobody knows)
Osei Yaw (has managed to be in the right place at the right time a few times so far, raw but promising)
Winnall (again we haven't seen him yet to judge - good pedigree, injuries a worry maybe?)
Kelly (I wasn't that sure about him last season, haven't seen much to change my mind)
McGuane (looked very promising in his early appearances with us, so the potential is there)
Clare (looks good going forward, defending is a 'work in progress' to be kind!)
Cooper (a bit of an unknown quantity, but again certainly promising)

I don't think that's bad at all - since we have stuck to our player development model, there are certainly some who are quite a long way from the finished article. But what's the alternative? Signing a load of L1 journeymen with no resale value. No thanks. I think we will have to accept that some of these players will blossom, others won't. That's just the way it is - but one game is a long way too soon to judge.

Sheer lack of numbers in some parts of the pitch *is* a worry, we are still missing pace and (as Saturday reminded us, as you correctly say) the defence looks paper thin with an injury/suspension or two.

I'm not sure that the quality or not of the players was what caused Saturday's poor display. I think it was poor tactics, a lack of urgency, an odd preseason schedule/preparation and maybe a bit of complacency. The one thing they can't blame is the supporters!

Last edited:
I think that *everyone* would agree that signing Taylor and prolonging Brannagan's contract were pretty good bits of business, surely?

Osei Yaw (has managed to be in the right place at the right time a few times so far, raw but promising)
Winnall (again we haven't seen him yet to judge - good pedigree, injuries a worry maybe?)
Kelly (I wasn't that sure about him last season, haven't seen much to change my mind)
McGuane (looked very promising in his early appearances with us, so the potential is there)

I don't think that's bad at all - since we have stuck to our player development model, there are certainly some who are quite a long way from the finished article. But what's the alternative? Signing a load of L1 journeymen with no resale value. No thanks. I think we will have to accept that some of these players will blossom, others won't. That's just the way it is - but one game is a long way too soon to judge.

Sheer lack of numbers in same parts of the pitch *is* a worry, we are still missing pace and (as Saturday reminded us, as you correctly say) the defence looks paper thin with an injury/suspension or two.

I'm not sure that the quality or not of the players was what caused Saturday's poor display. I think it was poor tactics, a lack of urgency, an odd preseason schedule/preparation and maybe a bit of complacency. The one thing they can't blame is the supporters!
I think Kelly is going to be an interesting one. He certainly has the previous pedigree to easily be able to succeed. If he can play like he did in the second half against Wycombe consistently then without doubt we have a player on our hands.

Sheer lack of numbers in some parts of the pitch *is* a worry, we are still missing pace and (as Saturday reminded us, as you correctly say) the defence looks paper thin with an injury/suspension or two.

I just hope McGuane isn’t what I call a show pony type of footballer eg lots of pretty passes and looks good on the ball without a lot of end product. It’s early days yet but he hasn’t looked as affective in competitive games compared to preseason. Hopefully all of these players will settle quickly and be part of a very successful promotion winning season.

I just hope McGuane isn’t what I call a show pony type of footballer eg lots of pretty passes and looks good on the ball without a lot of end product. It’s early days yet but he hasn’t looked as affective in competitive games compared to preseason. Hopefully all of these players will settle quickly and be part of a very successful promotion winning season.
I actually think end product is where Sykes needs to really improve on this season. More assists and goals is key to him improving, he has it in him.

Whilst everybody is in "doom and gloom" mode do they not remember Rob Dickies initial games where he looked lightweight and ponderous , wonder what happened to him ???
Give the new players a chance instead of writing them off after one game. Yes I was pis.ed off after Saturday, but its only one game.
If we are in this situation after a month then lets review but not one game.
The mob down the road are celebrating being top of the league, its not May 2021 somebody tell them....

Whilst everybody is in "doom and gloom" mode do they not remember Rob Dickies initial games where he looked lightweight and ponderous , wonder what happened to him ???
Give the new players a chance instead of writing them off after one game. Yes I was pis.ed off after Saturday, but its only one game.
The mob down the road are celebrating being top of the league, its not May 2021 somebody tell them....
I agree I think the problem is Dickie took a year to settle and really push on, too many players doing that doesn't get you out the league in our current position we need a few to hit the ground running and have a great first season like Gavin Whyte did that gives us a real chance of going up.

Lets give the new boys a chance to bed in, i think after a fantastic season apart from losing the final, i think maybe we are expecting to much to soon, sure all will be ok, give it time, remember we are not the only team who havent had a proper preseason and much of a rest for the players.

I saw Rob Dickie look absolutely awful in some of his early games for us on the left, couldn’t win it in the air, was weak, positionally all wrong. Atkinson already looks better than Dickie did then so if he can improve at the same rate then we will be absolutely fine

Back
Top Bottom