Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Though still higher than "rock bottom" right?
boy you’re depressing. No-one is happy about the league position but we should have won at Gillingham and could have nicked a point at Peterborough. We’ve played 80% of our games away and have a game in hand on most teams. I’ll take a considered view after 12 games.

Was told this from a very reliable source and have no reason whatsoever to question or doubt it, non of us know 100% either way....
And you genuinely believe that the fee for Dickie was £850k (with £350k going to Reading) and there is no reason to question it?

???

You handled the transaction did you? - Btw hope it is wrong.
No but I don’t need to have handled it to know what’s in it. Pleasingly the figures your source quoted are wrong and the deal achieved was perfectly reasonable given the current environment and Dickie having one year left on his contract.

You can be as competitive as you like, produce as many as chances as you like, but unless you score goals, and one more than the opposition you ain't going to win anything.
Well yes of course. But there are fine lines in football. Both Taylor & Agyei had good chances saved by the keepers feet on Saturday. Then Kelly under hits a pass to Long, Peterborough break & the ball goes under Eastwood’s foot, very fine margins. So if you want to make your assessment on how well a team is performing based on those small moments then that’s your choice. But personally I’d rather look at the bigger picture of how a team is performing as a whole, in the expectation that if you do the right things you’ll ultimately get your rewards over the season.

Strangely the world we live in now makes me feel closer and more passionate about our club, but less worried about the results.

Of course I want success. I'd much rather we were top of the league with 5 wins from 5, +20 goal difference and players scoring for fun. But we're not, and it's not good, but that's the joys of supporting Oxford!!

But then I look at the way the club held a minutes silence at a game between ourselves out of respect to the young family killed and seriously injured in a car accident. The fact that Karl called a friend of mine on the day of his father's funeral to offer his condolences. The players taking gifts to young fans who'd signed up for season tickets. The way the club has supported all of their employees when so many other clubs have been cutting back. Thinking about the 6 players with pregnant partners and how they, and the other fathers in the squad, must be feeling in these scary times. And how, throughout all this, Karl has held this club together with real dignity and compassionate leadership, that makes you realise that so much of what we talk about on here is just totally f*****g horseshit!!
Agree about being closer to our club
I used to take an interest in the top tier games but no longer.
I didn’t even watch the England games but what goes on at OUFC interests me greatly
I feel this will continue when we return to normality

In terms of freeing up space, realistically the only players that are going to be close to that list are Hall, Hanson and Osei.

No doubt, we'll have to cover a pretty big percentage of wages to enable them to go out on loan to a Conference club, and even then the player might not fancy it.

Agree about being closer to our club
I used to take an interest in the top tier games but no longer.
I didn’t even watch the England games but what goes on at OUFC interests me greatly
I feel this will continue when we return to normality
I’m very similar I have sky and BT but when I put the game on now I hardly sit and watch it where as if that was Oxford I’d be glued to the screen I wouldn’t move for 90 mins ? watching the England games last week I was interested I was actually bored and only put them on the tele because I couldn’t find anything else to watch

In terms of freeing up space, realistically the only players that are going to be close to that list are Hall, Hanson and Osei.

No doubt, we'll have to cover a pretty big percentage of wages to enable them to go out on loan to a Conference club, and even then the player might not fancy it.
I guess another option is to not register Mous & utilise him as a coach, at least until Jan where he’s proved his fitness again. So we free up a spot without needing someone to leave. Maybe to bring in a CB replacement. I’m not getting any vibes from the club though that this is being considered as an option though.

Thing is, how many 'senior' or 'experienced' players do we actually need? 1x centre half (or do we wait for Mousinho)? Possibly a holding player (as we look awful unless Gorrin plays there).

Anything else is surely just about picking up young players released by Premier League clubs with a view to tajing a risk, and increasing value.

I guess another option is to not register Mous & utilise him as a coach, at least until Jan where he’s proved his fitness again. So we free up a spot without needing someone to leave. Maybe to bring in a CB replacement. I’m not getting any vibes from the club though that this is being considered as an option though.

The problem with this is that anyone we look to bring now will be nowhere near match fitness. So we'd wait a month or so before we could use them by which point Mous is good to go. So I'm not sure that it's money worth spending, especially as who ever we bring in would still be on our books in January so we'd have to release someone else anyway.

Am I missing something here?

If we don't register a player we presumably still have to honour their contract and continue to pay their wages. If we then bring in another player, who we obviously will also have to pay, doesn't this undermine the whole purpose of the salary cap?

If we don't register a player we presumably still have to honour their contract and continue to pay their wages. If we then bring in another player, who we obviously will also have to pay, doesn't this undermine the whole purpose of the salary cap?
It’s the issue of the squad size restriction.

It’s the issue of the squad size restriction.

Yeah, I understand the argument for doing it.

My point was that that approach wouldn't stop clubs from overspending as it's effectively a way round the salary cap.

They still have to take up part of the salary cap in terms of pure wages even if they aren’t registered and are left out of the squad - their salaries still count even if you can’t fit them in to play - but it does make a mockery of the idea that you can afford to pay someone their salary, but can’t register them. If you can afford them and they fit into the budget, why do you have to tell them they can’t do their job? Shouldn’t matter if you spend your budget on 20 players or 30, or what age they are, but the whole thing was a con from the off. It’s all geared towards handicapping those lower down the chain. They don’t want us owning too many assets, so capping both ages and numbers squeezes both ends.

Wait until next season and the one after, when the number of 21+ players L1 and L2 clubs can have goes down even more, and players start to get older and suddenly go from being outside of the cap to inside of it. That’s when it’ll get really fun.

They still have to take up part of the salary cap in terms of pure wages even if they aren’t registered and are left out of the squad - their salaries still count even if you can’t fit them in to play - but it does make a mockery of the idea that you can afford to pay someone their salary, but can’t register them. If you can afford them and they fit into the budget, why do you have to tell them they can’t do their job? Shouldn’t matter if you spend your budget on 20 players or 30, or what age they are, but the whole thing was a con from the off. It’s all geared towards handicapping those lower down the chain. They don’t want us owning too many assets, so capping both ages and numbers squeezes both ends.

Wait until next season and the one after, when the number of 21+ players L1 and L2 clubs can have goes down even more, and players start to get older and suddenly go from being outside of the cap to inside of it. That’s when it’ll get really fun.

Abu Ogogo hasn't been included in the squad list by Bristol Rovers and from the articles on it, his salary isn't included in the salary cap. Maybe their and my understanding is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom