Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Just think how much the "job" has changed for the entire club.
Some will handle that well, others won`t.
Covid will put a shedload of pressure on lots of people.... worrying about taking it home to family, kids etc.
Testing regime, disruption to training and normal life.
Then there are the financial pressures, furlough and wider "will my employer survive" thoughts.
No fans..... every match feeling "surreal" even travel to away games and getting changed in the bar or wherever!

If we are still in the same position in December then at least we have January to stir the mix, stay calm....its only a game.

...its only a game.

Strangely the world we live in now makes me feel closer and more passionate about our club, but less worried about the results.

Of course I want success. I'd much rather we were top of the league with 5 wins from 5, +20 goal difference and players scoring for fun. But we're not, and it's not good, but that's the joys of supporting Oxford!!

But then I look at the way the club held a minutes silence at a game between ourselves out of respect to the young family killed and seriously injured in a car accident. The fact that Karl called a friend of mine on the day of his father's funeral to offer his condolences. The players taking gifts to young fans who'd signed up for season tickets. The way the club has supported all of their employees when so many other clubs have been cutting back. Thinking about the 6 players with pregnant partners and how they, and the other fathers in the squad, must be feeling in these scary times. And how, throughout all this, Karl has held this club together with real dignity and compassionate leadership, that makes you realise that so much of what we talk about on here is just totally f*****g horseshit!!

Thing that worries me is in Robbos interview on iPlayer he kept making reference to a difficult 6 months behind the scenes something just isn’t quite right

I guess the questions are would he want to drop to NL? As you say it's likely a NL would only pick up a small chunk of any wages, would that help us with FFP?

We would drop him from our senior list so if my understanding is right then his wages wouldn't count towards the wage cap, albeit only the Lg average amount. If he wants to play regularly then at the moment his only option is the NL or lower. Could do a loan until January I guess and then review or he could try for a loan in L1/L2

Thing that worries me is in Robbos interview on iPlayer he kept making reference to a difficult 6 months behind the scenes something just isn’t quite right

Finances.
Staff on furlough.
Restarting under a new "world".
Losing the PO final.
New rules like salary cap etc.
Mental health, physical health.

Yep, difficult is a good word.

Yes, there are. But early signs are horrendous. We aren't competitive at the moment. I hope the our manager is not saying "don't worry lads, there are 41 games left, everything will be fine". There needs to be an early realisation that things need to change - be that personnel, tactics, mindset or whatever.
I’m not sure I agree with us not being competitive. The last 2 games, both away, we’ve had 45 attempts on goal. If you analyse stats beyond just your normal attempts, possession etc they suggest we dominated Gillingham & were slightly (& only slightly) edged by a strong Peterborough team. But in both of those games we wasted chances & made mistakes defensively at key moments which cost us the game. So it’s a pretty basic assessment to say we’re not competitive because we’ve lost games, the main problems are stemming from us not being effective in key moments at both ends of the field.

I haven’t seen it but might that be a reference to the difficult 6 months that we have all had wherever we work?

Doesn't necessarliy mean anything for the season coming but a lot of people seem to have forgotten how utterly shite we were in patches last season.
There is something in this. If we hadn’t won our last five league games before the end of the last league campaign and say W1, D1, L3, we would have been upper mid table and expectations would be a lot lower than what is expected of losing play-off finalists.

I’m not sure I agree with us not being competitive. The last 2 games, both away, we’ve had 45 attempts on goal. If you analyse stats beyond just your normal attempts, possession etc they suggest we dominated Gillingham & were slightly (& only slightly) edged by a strong Peterborough team. But in both of those games we wasted chances & made mistakes defensively at key moments which cost us the game. So it’s a pretty basic assessment to say we’re not competitive because we’ve lost games, the main problems are stemming from us not being effective in key moments at both ends of the field.
Sorry, this response is measured and logical and as such has no place here!

Doesn't necessarliy mean anything for the season coming but a lot of people seem to have forgotten how utterly shite we were in patches last season.
17 games unbeaten mightve been forgotten too.

You can be as competitive as you like, produce as many as chances as you like, but unless you score goals, and one more than the opposition you ain't going to win anything.

There is something in this. If we hadn’t won our last five league games before the end of the last league campaign and say W1, D1, L3, we would have been upper mid table and expectations would be a lot lower than what is expected of losing play-off finalists.
Though still higher than "rock bottom" right?

Back
Top Bottom