Transfer targets?

He got 13 that year for a good team, but he’s two years older now and who knows what injuries he’s had since. If he was still good he would presumably have been snapped up

Sounds as though Rangers were/are interested. I personally think we HAVE to gamble on what’s available and be prepared for the gameble not to pay off.

Doing nothing isn’t an option in the current situation, even if Smith starts scoring we need someone else!

Smith needs to play. Regular.
The lad needs confidence and that will only come if he is given games to build on and starts scoring. KR spent quite a while trying to get him in the door and yet does not stick with him. Give him a run... Tell him he’s Maradona and send him out there FFS.

Smith needs to play. Regular.
The lad needs confidence and that will only come if he is given games to build on and starts scoring. KR spent quite a while trying to get him in the door and yet does not stick with him. Give him a run... Tell him he’s Maradona and send him out there FFS.
I agree with what you’re saying but unfortunately playing the lone striker role can be a thankless task and a challenge for the most experienced of strikers. If he’s not completely suited to the role it could be soul destroying for him and shatter his confidence completely

I agree with what you’re saying but unfortunately playing the lone striker role can be a thankless task and a challenge for the most experienced of strikers. If he’s not completely suited to the role it could be soul destroying for him and shatter his confidence completely

That would make him a pointless signing then. Surely KR must believe he can play the lone striker otherwise why is he here?

He won’t ever be able to play the role if he doesn’t get to play it.
I think he will come good.

• React
Reactions: MJB
What about Robbie Keane? I’m sure him and Smith up front would get goals.

Can’t see us being able to afford Robbie Keane. He would want a fortune surely?

It appears that the board, manager etc etc are missing the point. Therefore somebody has to state the obvious.
We need a striker. :)
The problem is now though that boat has sailed so far as getting anyone new in is concerned. We are reduced to considering the likes of Maynard - which is pretty desperate. So surely the answer is to play Smith (we 'chased him all summer' according to KR), and for KR to be creative with other players like Browne (maybe play him centrally, maybe pair him with Smith up front), while continuing to give U23 players a chance when we can (or need to).

FFS What’s wrong with playing Smith?!!
Indeed - it seems to make most sense to try build around Smith in the attacking part of the field, as Obika continues to mis-fire.

IF KR is stuck on the one-up plan, then give Smith time and games to learn how to play the role (or learn whether he can do it), otherwise that leaves either Obika struggling on as he is, promoting Bradbury (as he seems built for the role but inexperienced), or pushing one of our spare centre-backs up there (Elliott-style) and play off him.

Alternatively, a change of formation to play two up, gives Smith and/or Obika the chance to play with someone which may help take the pressure off them. It also increases the options of who we play up there as we can pair any one of 4 or 5 of our slighter, nippier attacking mids as the second striker - Henry, Browne, Whyte, Napa, even Lopes if it comes to it, with two others flitting around.

The only reason to bring someone in now is to either own the one-up striker position, as we have plenty of options already if we are going to play two-up. Someone who can only play ten-minute cameos is not going to own any position, so it does seem pointless bringing this guy in, unless they are ready to go the full 90....

Back
Top Bottom