Transfer targets?

Has anyone ever been talked about so much but done so little as James Roberts, absolutely no chance he will be with us next season and absolutely no chance he will be in league one next season.

I think the thing that annoys everyone to be fair is that we’ve been so poor this season and it wouldn’t have hurt to at least give him a chance, nobody has even seen him play, he may of risen to the occasion and if after 5-7 games he doesn’t produce the goods then so be it, get my point??????

Stating “everyone” is a bit strong, no?

I certainly don’t think he warranted a return to the squad. I have every sympathy for his recent personal grief but it’s been years now since he had a few good games in the league below us.

Nothing since then suggests that he would have the skill or (most importantly) tactical discipline to make any difference to us.

I wish him all the best with everything and hope he returns to the football league in the future, but don’t believe it will be with us unfortunately.

..especially as the new manager at Guisely basically froze out the two loanees he had in the squad (Roberts and Crook from Forest) as soon as he took over as he wanted to focus on those players who were going to be there the following season. Forest recalled their man, but Faz left Roberts there to rot, rather than bring him back, in the same way he's left Ashby to rot with the youth team, rather than train with the seniors. He may have made the difference up front (he knew where the goal was when he first came into the squad), he may not have done, but as Yellows1 says, at least we'd have known! Guess we'll just be watching how they do elsewhere next season, as we have with Taylor, Fisher and others.

If we are going to revive the U23s/Dev squad next season (and I hope we do), we need to make sure Faz isnt anywhere near it
Mmm. I somehow suspect that Roberts especially will have nowhere near the desire that Taylor has had to make it.

Roberts has had a load of chances with different managers. He appeared to have annoyed MAPP with his attitude. Pep gave him a chance. Faz appears to have not rated him.

Add to that his stints at particularly Oxford City. If he was going to make it I suspect that he would have torn that league apart. Taylor dropped down the leagues and scored bucket full of goals. He was bloody minded, totally determined as shown when he went from Rovers to City.

I am sure that all OUFC fans would have loved to have seen Roberts fulfil his early potential. Unlike Matt Taylor, he was given a load of chances at OUFC.

Eisa is a winger iirc, certainly when he played against us at the start of the season.
Pretty sure he’s not a winger if he was he’d have been snapped up by another club by now. He has a brother who recently signed for Shrewsbury who is a winger. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mo Eisa ended up at Peterborough when they loose Marriot in the summer.

The love in for a rightly departed player tends to point to you as that poster doesn’t it?
Those who have been on this site for a number of years, will know exactly where any "love-in" of mine stands - and that is with ALL of those young lads who come through our youth setup. I worked in the U's yOUth group to protect the whole youth system from Kassam, and to keep it functioning at all in the Conference years where outside grants all dried up, so that there was something there to be revived when the Lenagans came in.
My aim and desire is to ensure that these guys get the opportunity to develop their skills beyond graduation from the U18s, with OUFC if at all possible, and to support them through that difficult transition from scholar through to senior, which it seems a lot of people believe to be a lot simpler than it actually is.
It is perhaps the nature of the world today to sit at the far end of an internet link and judge the world in simplistic black and white terms, where being the first to pronounce a verdict is more important than actually reaching a sound conclusion, and where outrage has replaced opinion and vitriol has replaced debate and open discussion.
So, I just try to state their case for them in the face of the brash, brutal and at times disrespectful comments they receive on here, and just try to remind people that it is a very difficult time for them making that breakthrough, even if they don't suffer any major setbacks such as injury or family issues.

Many people are quick to state they want more of our own to come through, but some are equally quick to pronounce that they are not good enough the second they stick their head above the parapet and actually make the first team, as though there seems to be some sort of credit or kudos to be gained for being the first to do so. Do those on here who have already concluded that Napa will not make it due to his build got such short memories that they don't remember exactly the same being said of Callum O'Dowda only a couple of years ago?
And this short term, instant gratification mentality that is so prevalent nowadays almost demands that any player that has not progressed at the same pace that Wayne Rooney did is never going to make it as a professional footballer. Sadly, there was an era where finances forced the club to employ such a view with graduates offered only 12 or even 6 months to make an impression in the first team before being discarded with many great prospects doomed into the depths of non-league before even getting a chance to succeed - Rob Lovegrove, Ben Weedon, Tom Franklin, Tom Winters, Andy Gunn, just to name a very few (and the same could well have happened to COD and Napa in that era).
Now thankfully, that era has gone, but the club has edged backwards in this respect over the last couple of years, with I feel a lot of those out on loan suffering from an out of sight, out of mind attitude from some within the club, let alone supporters. Therefore talk of the revival of the dev squad has got to be good news, with youngsters working within the fold as well as without. Loans have their place in development, but are not the be all and end all, and there needs to be more going on here, so that fringe players are not just marooned without a game to play for weeks on end (eg Josh ashby).

So, I feel the need to stress the longer term view, that having put the effort into bringing these youngsters through the age groups, they should all be given a decent time to bridge the gap into the seniors, because once the leave, so many are lost forever, because so few that drop into non-league ever make it back into league football again. When a player leaves us at 19 or 20, they are rarely on the radar of clubs much outside of the county (as thsoe clubs have their own local pro teams to focus on), so most will end up playing locally, which up until the rise of City, Brackley into the Conference setup, has meant dropping three or four levels, which in turn means having to look for other work alongside football and inevitably becoming maroooned at that level. It takes a special set of circumstances, and a massive dose of luck to maintain yourself at a decent level and get that opportunity to get back into League football. For instance, Alex Fisher had financial backing from his family to chase across Europe to get pro-football, while the likes of Matt Taylor and James Clarke - both now established football league players, got their chance by being in the right place at the right time with promotions (as has Ty Marsh now at Macclesfield) and former managers picking them up. Many that we have let go, that were arguably of their standard or better, didnt get these chances and eventually had to settle for where they were.

But it is the fact that if we can back these guys, give them the time to develop alongside but not entirely in the cauldron of senior football, then we may see more of them develop into first team players for OUFC. And it is THAT thought that means that I will continue to promote the likes of Sam Long, Josh Ashby, James Roberts et al, particularly when they have all their lives and careers severely disrupted in one way or another - Ashby and Long have serious injuries, while Roberts faced his own tragedy at a crucial point in his life and career. And again, I think that some people overlook the psychological impact of such situations on younger players still trying to gain a foothold in the industry. For the likes of Long and Ashby,recovery from a broken leg or cruciate injury is not just the time it takes for the physical injury to heal, but the additonal time to get back up to speed both mentally and physically given the more sporadic nature of the games they get to play in - that is why Long getting a sustained spell at Hampton is so important. As for Roberts, then most of us can only guess at the impact of his particular situation can have on a 19 year old boy, and the disgraceful way that some dismissed this by parroting "attitude problems" as a means for writing him off was horrible to read. Personally, I would completely discount the last couple of seasons in terms of assessing his actual future in the game, and as I said earlier, what started out promisingly at Guiseley was sadly derailed by a change of approach from a new manager who made it clear that he was not interested in loanees who were not going to be there next season.

Then finally, there is the impact of individuals at the club. Kassam made it very difficult for anyone, the Lenagans opened the door to a generation who are slowly proving their worth. Wilder was not great, Appleton was better, Clotet was very supportive, though I understand Faz was a lot less so inclined. Hopefully, Robinson will make his own decisions on this front and the revival of the Dev squad will also generate a new impetus for the next generation coming through.

Whether it is too late for some of the now older ones to still make it at OUFC, and maybe it is time for the likes of Long, Roberts and Ashby to move on, but I still think it is wrong to write them off completely, as so many seem so willing to do, because I believe all three have careers ahead of them in the top 4/5 levels of English football and that for me is cause for celebration.

Didnt mean that to be quite as lengthy as it has turned out to be, but if you can't get passionate about the things you 'love' then............???

Those who have been on this site for a number of years, will know exactly where any "love-in" of mine stands - and that is with ALL of those young lads who come through our youth setup. I worked in the U's yOUth group to protect the whole youth system from Kassam, and to keep it functioning at all in the Conference years where outside grants all dried up, so that there was something there to be revived when the Lenagans came in.
My aim and desire is to ensure that these guys get the opportunity to develop their skills beyond graduation from the U18s, with OUFC if at all possible, and to support them through that difficult transition from scholar through to senior, which it seems a lot of people believe to be a lot simpler than it actually is.
It is perhaps the nature of the world today to sit at the far end of an internet link and judge the world in simplistic black and white terms, where being the first to pronounce a verdict is more important than actually reaching a sound conclusion, and where outrage has replaced opinion and vitriol has replaced debate and open discussion.
So, I just try to state their case for them in the face of the brash, brutal and at times disrespectful comments they receive on here, and just try to remind people that it is a very difficult time for them making that breakthrough, even if they don't suffer any major setbacks such as injury or family issues.

Many people are quick to state they want more of our own to come through, but some are equally quick to pronounce that they are not good enough the second they stick their head above the parapet and actually make the first team, as though there seems to be some sort of credit or kudos to be gained for being the first to do so. Do those on here who have already concluded that Napa will not make it due to his build got such short memories that they don't remember exactly the same being said of Callum O'Dowda only a couple of years ago?
And this short term, instant gratification mentality that is so prevalent nowadays almost demands that any player that has not progressed at the same pace that Wayne Rooney did is never going to make it as a professional footballer. Sadly, there was an era where finances forced the club to employ such a view with graduates offered only 12 or even 6 months to make an impression in the first team before being discarded with many great prospects doomed into the depths of non-league before even getting a chance to succeed - Rob Lovegrove, Ben Weedon, Tom Franklin, Tom Winters, Andy Gunn, just to name a very few (and the same could well have happened to COD and Napa in that era).
Now thankfully, that era has gone, but the club has edged backwards in this respect over the last couple of years, with I feel a lot of those out on loan suffering from an out of sight, out of mind attitude from some within the club, let alone supporters. Therefore talk of the revival of the dev squad has got to be good news, with youngsters working within the fold as well as without. Loans have their place in development, but are not the be all and end all, and there needs to be more going on here, so that fringe players are not just marooned without a game to play for weeks on end (eg Josh ashby).

So, I feel the need to stress the longer term view, that having put the effort into bringing these youngsters through the age groups, they should all be given a decent time to bridge the gap into the seniors, because once the leave, so many are lost forever, because so few that drop into non-league ever make it back into league football again. When a player leaves us at 19 or 20, they are rarely on the radar of clubs much outside of the county (as thsoe clubs have their own local pro teams to focus on), so most will end up playing locally, which up until the rise of City, Brackley into the Conference setup, has meant dropping three or four levels, which in turn means having to look for other work alongside football and inevitably becoming maroooned at that level. It takes a special set of circumstances, and a massive dose of luck to maintain yourself at a decent level and get that opportunity to get back into League football. For instance, Alex Fisher had financial backing from his family to chase across Europe to get pro-football, while the likes of Matt Taylor and James Clarke - both now established football league players, got their chance by being in the right place at the right time with promotions (as has Ty Marsh now at Macclesfield) and former managers picking them up. Many that we have let go, that were arguably of their standard or better, didnt get these chances and eventually had to settle for where they were.

But it is the fact that if we can back these guys, give them the time to develop alongside but not entirely in the cauldron of senior football, then we may see more of them develop into first team players for OUFC. And it is THAT thought that means that I will continue to promote the likes of Sam Long, Josh Ashby, James Roberts et al, particularly when they have all their lives and careers severely disrupted in one way or another - Ashby and Long have serious injuries, while Roberts faced his own tragedy at a crucial point in his life and career. And again, I think that some people overlook the psychological impact of such situations on younger players still trying to gain a foothold in the industry. For the likes of Long and Ashby,recovery from a broken leg or cruciate injury is not just the time it takes for the physical injury to heal, but the additonal time to get back up to speed both mentally and physically given the more sporadic nature of the games they get to play in - that is why Long getting a sustained spell at Hampton is so important. As for Roberts, then most of us can only guess at the impact of his particular situation can have on a 19 year old boy, and the disgraceful way that some dismissed this by parroting "attitude problems" as a means for writing him off was horrible to read. Personally, I would completely discount the last couple of seasons in terms of assessing his actual future in the game, and as I said earlier, what started out promisingly at Guiseley was sadly derailed by a change of approach from a new manager who made it clear that he was not interested in loanees who were not going to be there next season.

Then finally, there is the impact of individuals at the club. Kassam made it very difficult for anyone, the Lenagans opened the door to a generation who are slowly proving their worth. Wilder was not great, Appleton was better, Clotet was very supportive, though I understand Faz was a lot less so inclined. Hopefully, Robinson will make his own decisions on this front and the revival of the Dev squad will also generate a new impetus for the next generation coming through.

Whether it is too late for some of the now older ones to still make it at OUFC, and maybe it is time for the likes of Long, Roberts and Ashby to move on, but I still think it is wrong to write them off completely, as so many seem so willing to do, because I believe all three have careers ahead of them in the top 4/5 levels of English football and that for me is cause for celebration.

Didnt mean that to be quite as lengthy as it has turned out to be, but if you can't get passionate about the things you 'love' then............???
Mooro, I always read your posts regarding the goings on with the youth teams with great interest. It’s great to be kept informed with what’s going on and I know it’s something that’s close to your heart. As it should be with all of us, there’s nothing better than seeing local lads break through to the first team. And congratulations for breaking the ‘longest post in yellows history’ record ?

I don’t think there’s a single fan that wants to see one of our own young players fail. Some might be a little to quick to judge, or expect an instant 1st team player to emerge . Like kr said when he was at mk deli Alli was rubbish when he gave him his debut, kept giving the ball away and costing them points, but after 3/4 months of getting game time started to become the player he is today. I’m a big fan of Sam long, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him have a bad game when he’s been put in. And maybe without injuries and possibly us not getting promoted we could have seen all 3 make the step up as we have with ruffels. Tough decision for kr,or maybe an easy one who knows. I love what I’m hearing from the academy, the ambition to improve it and retain more local talent. And there is nothing better than watching one of our own do well and break into the first team. Also providing a massive financial boost for a club our size. Will it happen for those 3, I’m not so sure. But I can’t wait to see the next batch starting to come through and would rather a Carroll trying to establish himself, than a tiendalli picking up a last pay check anyday

Agree with Dave T.
Almost all fans love to see young players come through successfully.
I reckon that Canice has huge potential. As does Jack Stevens (from seeing Oxford City games).
Sam Long may have made it without all of the injuries he has suffered.
But unfortunately some will not make it. Roberts, Ashby and Long have had chances (far more than some of the players in the Kassam era). I would love to see them prove OUFC wrong (or like Alex Fisher play in Scotland/ lower leagues)

In reply to long post above, not going to quote it but fair enough for taking the time to right it.

I get your passion, but for me you are to close to the situation, a dispassionate decision has to be made for the good of the club on all youngsters that come through at some point, that is the nature of professional football, it’s a job that young people queue up to do and is a cutthroat business, and Oxford United have to make a decision purely on what’s best for Oxford United, we are not a charity, feeder club or the like, we are a professional team in the 3rd tier of the most competitive football system in the world. The club have to be hard nosed about it or struggle.

If we give every prospect till they are 23/4 to see if they develop late we will need a training ground a lot bigger than the one being built, and our wage bill will kill us. We are not rich enough or a big enough organisation to stockpile young players who can’t get near the first team and can’t make an impact on loan at a lower level in there early twenties, we are a club who have to make a decision on them early, like most league one clubs.

At some point these players have to go out into the real world, you are not helping them by kidding on they are going to make it if you think they are not. If they come back to haunt you then who is to say with out the kick in the a**e of being released and the games at the lower level that they would of done it at OUFC anyway? You maybe ruining a players career by keeping him into long.

For every Roberts, Ashby and Long (all players whose time here should be over in the summer for me) you keep for a couple of extra years you also deny a chance to get near the first team squad of players younger than them, players who may make it, do they not deserve at least half the chance we offered to those players?

We ain’t a charity, in football you either do it on the pitch or go elsewhere, the same applies to homegrown or bought in, those players haven’t taken the chance unfortunately so have no future here.

Pretty sure he’s not a winger if he was he’d have been snapped up by another club by now. He has a brother who recently signed for Shrewsbury who is a winger. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mo Eisa ended up at Peterborough when they loose Marriot in the summer.
Eisa will end up higher then league 1. He'll "do a roofe" go from league 2 straight to mid championship. Championship teams will pay over the odds for a player after 1 good season in league 2. Can see him at somewhere like Bristol City or even Preston who love young prospects.

I can’t see it he chose Fleetwood mainly because they were closer to home. I’m sure a big salary didn’t hurt either, I might be wrong but I think he’s involved in a business based in Liverpool as well so wouldn’t make to much sense to move down here.
" business based in Liverpool" - sound interesting :)

Eisa will end up higher then league 1. He'll "do a roofe" go from league 2 straight to mid championship. Championship teams will pay over the odds for a player after 1 good season in league 2. Can see him at somewhere like Bristol City or even Preston who love young prospects.
I agree. I saw him preseason @ Oxford City. Was sharp. I think we missed out there.

Mmm. I somehow suspect that Roberts especially will have nowhere near the desire that Taylor has had to make it.

Roberts has had a load of chances with different managers. He appeared to have annoyed MAPP with his attitude. Pep gave him a chance. Faz appears to have not rated him.

Add to that his stints at particularly Oxford City. If he was going to make it I suspect that he would have torn that league apart. Taylor dropped down the leagues and scored bucket full of goals. He was bloody minded, totally determined as shown when he went from Rovers to City.

I am sure that all OUFC fans would have loved to have seen Roberts fulfil his early potential. Unlike Matt Taylor, he was given a load of chances at OUFC.
I know from North Leigh, who signed Matty Taylor, that Oxford's long ball games didnt suit him or Fisher. On he debut Taylor said give me the ball and I score. He scored a 6 in a preseason game. Enough said.

In reply to long post above, not going to quote it but fair enough for taking the time to right it.

I get your passion, but for me you are to close to the situation, a dispassionate decision has to be made for the good of the club on all youngsters that come through at some point, that is the nature of professional football, it’s a job that young people queue up to do and is a cutthroat business, and Oxford United have to make a decision purely on what’s best for Oxford United, we are not a charity, feeder club or the like, we are a professional team in the 3rd tier of the most competitive football system in the world. The club have to be hard nosed about it or struggle.

If we give every prospect till they are 23/4 to see if they develop late we will need a training ground a lot bigger than the one being built, and our wage bill will kill us. We are not rich enough or a big enough organisation to stockpile young players who can’t get near the first team and can’t make an impact on loan at a lower level in there early twenties, we are a club who have to make a decision on them early, like most league one clubs.

At some point these players have to go out into the real world, you are not helping them by kidding on they are going to make it if you think they are not. If they come back to haunt you then who is to say with out the kick in the a**e of being released and the games at the lower level that they would of done it at OUFC anyway? You maybe ruining a players career by keeping him into long.

For every Roberts, Ashby and Long (all players whose time here should be over in the summer for me) you keep for a couple of extra years you also deny a chance to get near the first team squad of players younger than them, players who may make it, do they not deserve at least half the chance we offered to those players?

We ain’t a charity, in football you either do it on the pitch or go elsewhere, the same applies to homegrown or bought in, those players haven’t taken the chance unfortunately so have no future here.
I agree. Roberts needs to be in the goals while on loan. I imagine his mental health cant be the best ref his brothers death. I know from experience footballers need extremely strong mental health to make a career in the game as a professional.

Glad someone else mentioned Faz and his problems with the young lads at the club.

As for Roberts. He will be just fine. Also wouldn't write him off joining a league club when his deal expires in the summer.

I agree. Roberts needs to be in the goals while on loan. I imagine his mental health cant be the best ref his brothers death. I know from experience footballers need extremely strong mental health to make a career in the game as a professional.
How is playing goalkeeper going to help him?

• React
Reactions: MJB
I wouldn't mind us going for Jayden Stockley at Exeter. 6 foot 3 striker who has scored 1 in 2 this season.

Back
Top Bottom