Transfer targets?

The most frustrating thing about our striker situation is that we all knew how bad it was, but nothing was done about it. If you look at the strikers last season in Obika, Thomas, Van Kessel and Mehmeti. They were either not good enough or injury prone. Obika is the only one we have still and I simply don’t think he’s good enough for league 1, league 2 probably his level. We then added Mackie and smith to that. Mackie simply isn’t an out and out striker and smith is an unknown, who in glimpses looks a useful player, but needs to be given more game time. The simple fact is the striker recruitment was not good enough in pre-season and now we are paying for the lack of goals and options upfront.

We aren`t scoring enough of the created chances. We lack a goal scorer/striker/target man call it what you like.
We need someone who can stick away 20+ goals a season as well as work to create chances for the other attacking players.
Arent you stating the obvious. Give us something new to talk about.

Embarrassing that we're even looking at this crock of s**t journeymen and has-beens.

Is that ‘we’ being the forum or ‘we’ being Oxford United?!

As far as the club is concerned, we’re only looking at one journeyman crock in Nicky Maynard to possibly replace our other journeyman crock who is out injured.

The fact that none of our forwards are target man none of them can play the one up front none look like they’ve got goals in them

Either play 2 up front in either a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 formation which I don’t see happening

Or play a false number 9 with either Browne or Whyte playing that role & if need be swap them over to the wing to see who looks better

Maynard signing would be a waste of time & money with little in return, looking for a goalscorer go out & pay the money for Darren Bent wages as he’s the only one available on a free & he will guarantee you goals

Last edited:
The fact that none of our forwards are target man none of them can play the one up front none look like they’ve got goals in them

Either play 2 up front in either a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 formation which I don’t see happening

Or play a false number 9 with either Browne or Whyte playing that role & if need be swap them over to the wing to see who looks better

Maynard signing would be a waste of time & money with little in return, looking for a goalscorer go out & pay the money for Darren Bent wages as he’s the only one available on a free & he will guarantee you goals
Absolutely spot on.
The one up front plan should be ditched. It takes a special kind of striker to be able to play that role and we don't have one. Maynard wouldn't be the answer either.
4-4-2 is the way to go with the players we have at the moment. Play Browne and Smith up there, I reckon they could click. Smith would certainly benefit from having a partner. 3-5-2 could work well with the amount of CM's we have. Agree about Bent. He is just about the only striker available who could cope with the lone striker role.

Bent has scored a total of 6 goals in the last four seasons. Just the striker we are desperate for. Washed up.

Is that ‘we’ being the forum or ‘we’ being Oxford United?!

As far as the club is concerned, we’re only looking at one journeyman crock in Nicky Maynard to possibly replace our other journeyman crock who is out injured.

Good question. I'm used to the forum being embarrassing but yes, given your correction, I must have been. I can't help feeling that as far as KR is concerned there may be another journeyman crock along in a couple of days (to replace another journeyman crock).

Pekalskis loan must be coming to an end soon as the Swedish winter approaches.......

• React
Reactions: MJB
Back
Top Bottom