Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me and I no a lot off people will disagree but the best signing so far this window and especially today is KR signing a new 3 year deal. I honestly think he’s a good manager who has done amazingly well under a lot of unfair criticism over the last 12 months and you can tell he really has are best interests at heart. Been doing some investigation on the lad from Burnley and I believe he has the potential to be that 20 goal a season striker. Could end up being another Sam Smith. But his early cv shows a hell off a lot of potential to work with. I have been positive for most off the summer but am not afraid to admit over the last week or 2 I have been a bit negative and glad to have been proven wrong. Might take the new team a while to gel so just hope everyone Is patient ?

They just need to manage comms and expectations better. It’s great that we have new bodies in the door (we needed them) and all appear to be improvements to last season (with the exception of Whyte).

January or next summer let’s just leave the “we’ve learnt from our mistakes “, “it’s going to be a big week”, “48hrs” and so on. That would be learning from a mistake.

“We’ve identified a number of potentials that we’ll be looking to get as soon as they’re available, it’s likely this will be late in the window but a lot of work is already taking place. The market has changed as people will have seen from the last few seasons. We’ll get them in and our track record has been pretty decent”. Would do and it doesn’t matter if that means a few less copies of the OM being sold.

If we’re waiting a while of course there will still be a bit of panic but if we do get one or two early it’ll be regarded as even more of a success. Appleton and co generally did a pretty good job of this.

I still don’t think it’s great that we were/are hours away from our first league game when things have actually been agreed (particularly with the Nelson replacement) but if they’re able to hit the ground running and things gel quickly it certainly looks like we’ve got a good squad of experience and youth to see us through the campaign which is great news.

They just need to manage comms and expectations better. It’s great that we have new bodies in the door (we needed them) and all appear to be improvements to last season (with the exception of Whyte).

January or next summer let’s just leave the “we’ve learnt from our mistakes “, “it’s going to be a big week”, “48hrs” and so on. That would be learning from a mistake.

“We’ve identified a number of potentials that we’ll be looking to get as soon as they’re available, it’s likely this will be late in the window but a lot of work is already taking place. The market has changed as people will have seen from the last few seasons. We’ll get them in and our track record has been pretty decent”. Would do and it doesn’t matter if that means a few less copies of the OM being sold.

If we’re waiting a while of course there will still be a bit of panic but if we do get one or two early it’ll be regarded as even more of a success. Appleton and co generally did a pretty good job of this.

I still don’t think it’s great that we were/are hours away from our first league game when things have actually been agreed (particularly with the Nelson replacement) but if they’re able to hit the ground running and things gel quickly it certainly looks like we’ve got a good squad of experience and youth to see us through the campaign which is great news.

This is where KR falls down...the man just can't help bloody talking, even when there's little to say. If we can only find a happy medium between the board and the manager...

Yesterday was super important. Not only a new player but new contracts for the Dickster and KR. Amazing how sunny things are looking today.

Maybe you should be telling all this to the club / Karl. They were the ones saying that we would be doing our business early this time around.

Additionally, although it's easy now to point to recent signings and use them as proof that everything has all been part of the master plan, Karl's recent interviews suggest that at times it has been touch and go, and could've quite easily gone the other way!

Also, can we refrain from celebrating the signing of Moore too much just yet please?! I don't doubt you / EC Yellow that it's as good as done, but it still makes me a bit edgy when it's not yet been formally announced.

Realise this post will probably lead to me being negative, but I just wanted to add a bit of balance. I do think that the signings we have made are very positive, and I agree that we have the makings of a very good team at this level. I'm still just hoping the Moore deal gets over the line along with a couple of strikers, and we also add a bit more pace! If all that happens I'll be front of the queue for the positive bus (for on the pitch matters anyway!!).

That is the point, poor communications and no PR coming out of the club, Tiger might be upset but it's all his doing through the lack of proper structure behind the scenes, KT was the perfect bridge between the fans and club for all his alleged faults.

For all the money being thrown about on players at the moment, can the club not just look at putting in place this key link to the fans and it would help stop some of the fans frustrations, social media can be good but it can be damning if you are on the wrong end of it.

Maybe you should be telling all this to the club / Karl. They were the ones saying that we would be doing our business early this time around.

Additionally, although it's easy now to point to recent signings and use them as proof that everything has all been part of the master plan, Karl's recent interviews suggest that at times it has been touch and go, and could've quite easily gone the other way!

Also, can we refrain from celebrating the signing of Moore too much just yet please?! I don't doubt you / EC Yellow that it's as good as done, but it still makes me a bit edgy when it's not yet been formally announced.

Realise this post will probably lead to me being negative, but I just wanted to add a bit of balance. I do think that the signings we have made are very positive, and I agree that we have the makings of a very good team at this level. I'm still just hoping the Moore deal gets over the line along with a couple of strikers, and we also add a bit more pace! If all that happens I'll be front of the queue for the positive bus (for on the pitch matters anyway!!).

@ Scotchegg

Clarke Harris from Bristol R. I’d be happy with him! Or am I being too optimistic'

He did answer.
“There is a payment plan in place and it is up to date”
The Whyte transfer monies are irrelevant.
So are we saying the almost 4 million (?) was to be paid back in full within 16 months ?
What you need to understand, and it is all out there to read, is that the charge over OUFC is still active. That means it has not been paid off in full, not settled.
The payment schedule would have seen that debt of £4.2 million paid unless, the clubs which bought the players had not kept to their part of the deal(s)
I do not have an agenda here. Facts are facts. Until that charge is listed as settled by company house, it is still active.

I’m confused as to the incoming striker situation - is it one or two, and is the young lad from Burnley still one of them?

I know it's rehashing the same points from before, but the last 48 hours (who'd have thought!) have shown why some were a little premature in writing off this transfer window and the coming season.

Ben Woodburn is a perfect example of where the work was being done. He was spoken to in May, Liverpool were already looking at putting him out on loan and league 1 was a possibility. Several clubs in league 1 and a few in the Championship expressed an interest. We were at the top of these clubs due to the way we have looked to develop young players recently, but no deal was going to be looked at until after Liverpool had completed their pre-season tours. On his return, everything started moving quickly and the deal was completed yesterday. There were some on here who were demanding that we should sign anyone just to get players through the door, and as time went on, the assumption was that we were missing out on our top targets. I can assure you that Woodburn was one of our top targets and worth waiting for. Do people really think we should have just gone for the lad from Oxford City (that we couldn't apparently afford!!) simply to get players in?

Elliott Moore is again a player that has been tracked for a long time. He has played a similar number of games to Rob Dickie when he arrived with us but at a higher standard and is also a natural leader. It's taken longer than expected to put this deal together but would people have really rather had Guthrie?

As Robinson said tonight, some times it's a case of waiting for the right players to come available and everyone holding their nerve. We will inevitably have lost out on some players, but others would have come through when not expected. Forde being someone who we put an offer to but would have maybe expected him to go to a few other clubs first before committing. Despite the concerns about something being fundamentally wrong with the club, he took one look and agreed to sign there and then! Maybe the training ground really is something special!! But joking aside, this is a player who has had success twice at this level, played in the Championship and had the opportunity to extend his contract at Rotherham. As far as I'm aware the other clubs he was looking at were all in league one, and yet we've snapped him up quickly.

It's not a case of "I told you so" but my biggest frustration is when people get hysterical because we're not picking up players the day after the season finishes. This week has shown that having patience and playing the long game is where you get success. We have the makings of a great team, and a very competent squad, with plenty of our own youngsters to boost our numbers. At this rate I'll have to put on more buses to go on the Positive Tour, feel free to jump onboard!!
I'm afraid that it will be the same people panicking in next years transfer window..

This is the difference between constructive and just plain negative and the same old shite you know who comes out with.

Another player in today. According to KR he was having a medical last night. My guess is it’s a centre back, from what was said about a striker last night.

I think we've got to wait until we book the brass band and hang the bunting out until we have a couple of strikers, haven't we?
Yep, still very short of pace and up front going into Sunderland.

Some good points raised on this thread, but i feel the club bring it on themselves by spouting bullcrap. "Wow", record signings, early deals, learn from mistakes- hmmmm. Definite rethink needed in comms.

I think it was a mistake to talk of getting business done early, but it's also important to understand how some of our business was done.

Woodburn, Fosu, Cadden and Gorrin were all initiated very early.

Woodburn was always going to go on tour with the view to complete on his return. We were just keeping our fingers crossed that there wasn't any injuries or another club putting a better deal together. Although this only concluded this week, the hard miles were already in the bank.

Fosu had been on our radar for some time and he was spoken to very early. He wanted to consider the options during the summer break but gave us the nod on his return. This deal went through pretty easily despite a fee being needed and the announcement was held back just to cover contractual elements with Chsrlton holding him until July.

Chris Cadden was also spoken to very early and a deal in principle was agreed. If we had picked him up directly he would have joined at the beginning of July. The MSL thing changed everything but a loan deal was quickly put together. Adding a third party in the discussions dragged everything out for a few weeks, but Chris was here and training throughout this time.

Gorrin was the easiest of the deals and went through without a hitch despite there being interest in him from other teams.

Add this to the fact that we were hoping to tie up Sinclair and Findlay (both were offered very good deals) then you can see how we could have been in a very different position very early in this window. So whilst I get the anxiety, and you could see how Robinson was knackered by the whole process, it's not through luck that we are suddenly seeing these deals come together. The work started very early and will continue for the next month when the picture will become much clearer.

Oh come on i am all for positivity but we were faced with a very threadbare squad 3 days prior to our first game, we sold possibly our best player for peanuts despite assurances that it would take a great deal more to prise him away and in fact he would not be sold..Are you really expecting reasoned fans to not voice concerns at the situation as stood at that time?....it's all very well coming on here with "i told you so's" and then the usual guff that those we finally got done were really our top targets when our manager was previously telling us we had missed out on many.
Ben woodburn is potentially a cracking addition but it is only a loan, he is not our player and could easily be recalled in January when we then have to go through it all again..if you want us to believe that Forde was a main target then sorry i for one will not swallow it regardless of his ability
The fella from Leicester was only ever mentioned yesterday so again cannot believe he was a top target.

These may be decent signings but let's keep things balanced and not take unneccessary digs at fellow fans who were concerned about our best player going for peanuts and having a very weak squad at the time.

for what it's worth i receive a lot of horse racing information, much of it goes in one ear and out the other but there are those that are very good but they wont be right all the time so i for one will not slate any on here that may be Itk but get things wrong from time to time but again things need to be balanced as everyone of us want the best for our football club.

Oh come on i am all for positivity but we were faced with a very threadbare squad 3 days prior to our first game, we sold possibly our best player for peanuts despite assurances that it would take a great deal more to prise him away and in fact he would not be sold..Are you really expecting reasoned fans to not voice concerns at the situation as stood at that time?....it's all very well coming on here with "i told you so's" and then the usual guff that those we finally got done were really our top targets when our manager was previously telling us we had missed out on many.
Ben woodburn is potentially a cracking addition but it is only a loan, he is not our player and could easily be recalled in January when we then have to go through it all again..if you want us to believe that Forde was a main target then sorry i for one will not swallow it regardless of his ability
The fella from Leicester was only ever mentioned yesterday so again cannot believe he was a top target.

These may be decent signings but let's keep things balanced and not take unneccessary digs at fellow fans who were concerned about our best player going for peanuts and having a very weak squad at the time.

for what it's worth i receive a lot of horse racing information, much of it goes in one ear and out the other but there are those that are very good but they wont be right all the time so i for one will not slate any on here that may be Itk but get things wrong from time to time but again things need to be balanced as everyone of us want the best for our football club.

I don't find your review very balanced tbh.

We may all want what's best for the club, but some have a very strange way of showing it. I may not know everything, and get things wrong, but I attempt to put some context behind what is happening rather than split out emotive crap every other day!

The players I mentioned were key targets and were looked at very early in the summer. Had things been a little different we could have started pre-season with Woodburn, Gorrin, Cadden, Fosu, Sinclair and Findlay. If that had been the case then the forum would have gone into meltdown for all the good reasons!

But football contracts are not the easiest things in the world to put together and it has meant that we had to wait for Cadden and Woodburn and missed out on Sinclair and Findlay. That's the way things go, but it goes to show that there wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with our recruitment (as many have stated as fact!) nor are we trying to bring players in on the cheap (as has also been said a hundred times).

You say that Elliott Moore wasn't spoken about until the last few days, but I did post a few weeks ago that a top defender who had gone under the radar was expected to sign that week. I got the timing wrong, but he had been in the clubs thinking for weeks. The same with Woodburn. He may not have been mentioned until this week but he was one if the first players spoken to this summer. So for all the stressing and doom and gloom, we will judge this transfer window on the team that plays on Saturday and the squad we have on 2nd September. I've said a number of times that I think we will be in a good place with both deadlines, and I doubt I'll be proved wrong.

As for Whyte going for peanuts? I have it on pretty decent authority that he went for £2.5m with add ons that should see it exceed £3m. This is for a player that cost £100k a year ago! This was good business no matter how anyone tries to wrap it up. Of course Gavin was a great player, and I'd have loved to see him stay. But a club our size has to look at the wider picture and I think we got this right.

So, whilst I understand your view I do feel that your concerns were, and remain, premature.

There is something in what scotchegg is saying, however even with these players through the door I really don't know if we are ready for game one. My concern is that we will not be firing on all cylinders for a few weeks yet (a bit like last season). We saw last season there is a fine line between success and failure in this league and a poor start could see us playing catch up until Christmas (again like last year).

Now we have some potentially good signings, and with hopefully Moore to sign today we would have a full first team. We are still a little light at center back and strikers and I think this is the area we should have been able to strengthen earlier. This strengthening didn't have to be star players but also needn't have to be some of the trialists or players from Oxford City. There are better players out there that aren't massive signings and can do a job (possibly with the potential to impress), but we seem fixed on massive (Wow!!!) signings seemingly ignoring easier to land options. This could be the difference between a solid start and a poor start.

As for Woodburn the lad is an exciting prospect, but lets not expect too much from him to begin with at least. I hope he hits the ground running, adapts to league one instantly, and scores bags of goals. But I am concerned that many on here are expecting this to happen and will turn on him if it doesn't. This is somewhat understandable given that currently the club has all of our goal scoring eggs in this basket. The lad could easily take time to adapt to league one, or be too lightweight for teams that as a sole front man will invariably target him. He made need time and our understanding.

It is far too early to claim that this preseason has been a success or failure. This will happen after we have played a few games (it may also be reviewed in Jan when Cadden and possibly Woodburn has to be replaced ). Personally I still firmly believe we can do things better. We shall soon start to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom