Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepared to put a wager on that
O
To be fair @Foley I think with last years recruitment in the summer we should have been flirting with the top 6 instead we were flirting with relegation most of the season and we had a CB pairing ok our full backs left something to be desired but apparently we had strikers

"Oh come on. So just because they pay their money and feel the team were rubbish they aren't supporters?
So in your world, we should all clap every kick of the ball, and not criticise the team?"

It amazes me people like that pay to watch Oxford, they weren't criticising bad play or tactics or lineup, they were just rambling on.

No, we shouldnt clap every kick of the ball and I myself criticise the team when they deserve it, but talking constantly about relegation at a preseason game with Fulham is a joke.

Especially considering Fulham barely tested Eastwood from open play and the only goal they scored was a Knockaert free kick.

I thought the longer the summer went on, the more people I would see lose faith in the club's transfer policies.

Actually, the split has remained the same. But the worried posters have gotten even more anxious and apopleptic than I ever thought possible.

And we've still not played Game 1 of the season.

And we're less than 9 days away from the first game of the season.

I appreciate Karl's going for the top players policy but look what happened last season, we're not far from being in the same position. Remember the first 10 results? Even if we bring in some quality players in the next couple of days, getting them ready for the beginning of the season is going to be tough.

If we don't get them and have to go for second, third or fourth choices, who knows what fitness levels those players will be at.

I certainly don't blame those who are anxious at the moment. Our squad size is currently too small and we're a couple of injuries away from relying on youth players with no experience to keep us in league one.

I appreciate Karl's going for the top players policy but look what happened last season, we're not far from being in the same position. Remember the first 10 results? Even if we bring in some quality players in the next couple of days, getting them ready for the beginning of the season is going to be tough.

If we don't get them and have to go for second, third or fourth choices, who knows what fitness levels those players will be at.

I certainly don't blame those who are anxious at the moment. Our squad size is currently too small and we're a couple of injuries away from relying on youth players with no experience to keep us in league one.

They’re all probably gone now.

This is our first team squad currently:

GK: Eastwood, Stevens
RB: Cadden, Long
CB: Dickie, Mousinho, Jones
LB: Ruffels, Berkoe
CM: Brannagan, Baptiste, Sykes, Hanson, Henry, Gorrin
W: Hall, Whyte, Fosu, Napa
ST: Mackie

That’s 20 players, including kids like Berkoe, Jones and Napa. They’ve had to be drafted in as viable senior squad options just to get it from 17 to 20. It also includes Hall, who has played about a dozen games in the last two years, Baptiste who is still on the way back from a very serious injury (sustained about five minutes into his comeback from another multiple month injury), and Jamie Mackie who can’t even train five days a week anymore and turns 34 in a month or so. Plus the 33 year old John Mousinho, who until about a month ago we were apparently so sure wasn’t up to playing regular L1 football anymore, we were trying to turn him into a coach.

It’s fine for people to be a little concerned by this.

People saying our squad is like last years summer squad are miles off. We are 3 players short of having a play off challenging team. Last season we were 3 to 4 players off being a mid table league 1 side.
I fully expect 3 to 4 players to be signed before the transfer window shuts.

This is our first team squad currently:

GK: Eastwood, Stevens
RB: Cadden, Long
CB: Dickie, Mousinho, Jones
LB: Ruffels, Berkoe
CM: Brannagan, Baptiste, Sykes, Hanson, Henry, Gorrin
W: Hall, Whyte, Fosu, Napa
ST: Mackie

That’s 20 players, including kids like Berkoe, Jones and Napa. They’ve had to be drafted in as viable senior squad options just to get it from 17 to 20. It also includes Hall, who has played about a dozen games in the last two years, Baptiste who is still on the way back from a very serious injury (sustained about five minutes into his comeback from another multiple month injury), and Jamie Mackie who can’t even train five days a week anymore and turns 34 in a month or so. Plus the 33 year old John Mousinho, who until about a month ago we were apparently so sure wasn’t up to playing regular L1 football anymore, we were trying to turn him into a coach.

It’s fine for people to be a little concerned by this.

Another big worry for me and a huge point is why are we not sorting out contract extensions for the likes of Henry and Dickie, it’s seems we are simply not learning a bloody thing.

Maybe people could consider only posting on this thread if they have an actual rumour or something new to say?

But to do that (something new), you would have to read through the whole lot again!.

Agree with most on here. We have better players than this time last year. Recruitment could have gone better (as always). We need them (new players) in by next week. If so, I’d be pretty happy. If not, it’s simply a very poor recruitment strategy.

Last edited:
I just wonder if the problem with our recruitment strategy is that Robinson is just too stubborn and not flexible enough. Is he like a dog with a bone and won’t let it go right up until a target is actually signed up to another club - or even then keep going until he gets them on loan! - where others would realise it’s a dead end and move on to another target? We’ve all had mates in the past who have kept chasing after a girl they have a crush on but it was obvious they weren’t interested - heck I’ve done it myself! - sometimes you’ve just got to realise when you’re being mugged off and adjust your sights ?

Charlie Wyke: 6ft tall ugly Northern target man who has a proven scoring record in L1 & L2 before suffering an injury hit 18/19 season. Now 3rd choice in the pecking order at his club. Likely we could get a competitive loan deal from their friendly owner? Surely worth a punt.

Looking at the recruitment of other clubs in our bar a few, kind of gives it away. How many of those teams have had to play kids as part of their pre season program. Youth that have shown they are nowhere near ready for first team football.

Go on then, give us a detailed list.

Charlie Wyke: 6ft tall ugly Northern target man who has a proven scoring record in L1 & L2 before suffering an injury hit 18/19 season. Now 3rd choice in the pecking order at his club. Likely we could get a competitive loan deal from their friendly owner? Surely worth a punt.
I know having three strikers seems a ridiculous luxury to us but most teams would feel that that is a basic requirement. I can’t see them letting him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom