Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sotchegg I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I was talking about what we know about the owners plans no specifically what has happened during this transfer window. I take your point though regarding the spend that the club has made in terms of fees, i just wonder how it has been financed. I also take your point about the likes of Cadden and Evans they probably would make good loans and would be icing on a cake that already was finished (although I would still prefer us to have some players we own as backup). It is a positive we haven't sold anyone major (yet!) personally I think we should be aiming to sell one player a year for decent money to balance the books (replacements should be in place though). As for the youth players being ready to step up we shall see (I think any injuries and we will find out). KR sure is ambitious with his attempts at signing I just wonder sometimes if he is not a little too ambitious to the extent when plans do not pan out the team suffers.

At the end of the day we shall see what happens in the first few weeks of the season. No matter how easy you think the league will be we have on paper a tough start. Last season I expressed my concern with the way our preparations for the season went and I was proved sadly correct. I really hope the next 2 weeks bring in some amazing signings that transform us and allow us to hit the ground running, and that any concerns regarding our preseason I had were proved wrong (although I will still have concerns about the way our owners run the club and would suggest that until we find more out about their plans we all do). We don't have long to wait to find out.

I really dont care about Bury or Bolton. To bring in players days before tge season starts is poor. It should have been done weeks ago. Simple common sense. But hey lets wait and see your theory may be right, and youth might get us top of the league after the first few games.
You say youth having highlighted my post but where do I mention that. I see it as highly unlikely that youth players will be starting in our team come August 3rd. It would be nice to hear something positive from you once in a while. Marvin Johnson wasn’t a bad signing on deadline day. Many clubs are in our position. I am going to the game with a QPR mate on Saturday and like us they haven’t got any strikers but they so far haven’t paid any fees and he thinks won’t be either.

Last edited:
I'm just not sure that is right.
I am.not saying that we dont need players everybody would agree that.
I am saying that the U23s playing at Eastleigh will not play a lot even with the current squad which was your suggestion.
Sure Lopes may be involved and maybe Jones.
We have Whtye, Hall, Fosu, even Sykes and Henry who can play wide so Lofthouse will do well to get on the bench.
Of those playing at Eastleigh, maybe 2/3 youngsters could be involved with today's squad. We will get in more players....

Yes but leaving it very late isn’t it, not ideal preparation for preseason with 2 weeks to go and new players to bed it, this is obvious to everyone.

Yes but leaving it very late isn’t it, not ideal preparation for preseason with 2 weeks to go and new players to bed it, this is obvious to everyone.
Totally agree. It's not ideal.
But I suspect that the majority of clubs are in the same position.
I am sure that we could have players in by now.
The balancing act, I suspect, is do we go for the players that we really want (which could take longer), or go further down the list for players maybe not as good but available?

Great we've got to a stage where people are now turning on Millman, one of the few remaining (bar me of course, Tatabanya, GaryBaldi & Londonroader) quality posters. ;)
Let’s not start ranking posters, it’s not a competition. How do we know you are a quality poster? Objectively, the winner so far is the bloke who knew that Sinclair was going abroad

Great we've got to a stage where people are now turning on Millman, one of the few remaining (bar me of course, Tatabanya, GaryBaldi & Londonroader) quality posters. ;)
We all have people 'turning' on us. Scotch egg probably more than anybody.
If somebody says something that people disagree with, are they not entitled to give an alternative view?

Unless I've missed something I've not seen anyone turning on Millman or any other 'normal' posters. I think we might all be getting a little sensitive!!

I'm just not sure that is right.
I am.not saying that we dont need players everybody would agree that.
I am saying that the U23s playing at Eastleigh will not play a lot even with the current squad which was your suggestion.
Sure Lopes may be involved and maybe Jones.
We have Whtye, Hall, Fosu, even Sykes and Henry who can play wide so Lofthouse will do well to get on the bench.
Of those playing at Eastleigh, maybe 2/3 youngsters could be involved with today's squad. We will get in more players....
You have Mousinho at CB which we know he has played at but not his best position and KR has said he won’t feature much. Hall is still a risk injury wise, you have mentioned 4 who can play wise and LR has said previously we need wingers but it’s having a head for them to aim at we are woefully short in that dept and you look at other recruitments in L1 and you already know who are going to be fighting for autos and play offs........
Totally agree. It's not ideal.
But I suspect that the majority of clubs are in the same position.
I am sure that we could have players in by now.
The balancing act, I suspect, is do we go for the players that we really want (which could take longer), or go further down the list for players maybe not as good but available?
a lot of the clubs in L1 have started at a brisk pace of having brought in a fair few players as they have set themselves a target of promotion either automatically of via the play offs and have some quality now in their squads and I think we will struggle against some of these teams unless we bring in top quality that can fit in straight away with our squad.

Maybe they are tired of getting shot down in flames when deals are far more complex than many realise.

For what it's worth, I'll say that I'm 90% confident that we'll have at least 3 additional players before the Sunderland game who will all be a big step on on those currently in their positions. Money really isn't an issue, and although not throwing stupid money around we can compete with most teams in our league.

Deals don’t seem to be too complex for nearly every other club in the football league. Yeah there are some bread basket examples of clubs that have signed less players than us.
Many of which either have financial problems or already have very strong and successful squads. I’m not sure there are many that only have one recognised centre back in the building (Mous ain’t one and Nico ain’t ready) And one striker, yeah we could shuffle the pack and Whyte could play up front for example.
I don’t think anyone on here would disagree that we will have players in before the Sunderland game. But it’s not ideal.
I would also love to have your confidence on the quality of players that will join but we Seem to be missing out on players whilst others that might have signed for us are being snapped up.

a lot of the clubs in L1 have started at a brisk pace of having brought in a fair few players as they have set themselves a target of promotion either automatically of via the play offs and have some quality now in their squads and I think we will struggle against some of these teams unless we bring in top quality that can fit in straight away with our squad.
Some have but many havent.
So Sunderland who will be up there have done little more than us and their best transfers I suspect will come.
Pompey have sold a player for £3 5m and not spent anything (they have made signings hit again I bet that their best signings are to come)
Look at Gereysummers link. Many clubs in this league have not done an awful lot yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom