Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
But don’t you think we could be aiming too high. There have been lots of very good players signed over the last few weeks, months and I’m sure the kind of figures we’ve been offering would’ve secured their services.
Half that! I know KR is trying really hard to get the very best players into the club. But if we’re aiming too high it’s pointless. In fact isn’t it possible we would be paying over the odds just to convince the player to come to us?Damn we could be in for Messi and be trying to convince him to sign but whilst we’re talking and talking good solid players are being signed up.
It would be much easier to sign the very best players we can if we had a good solid playoff season under our belts and could offer them a real chance of promotion.
We couldn’t pay the staff at a period last season. We had what 5 orders against us, We spent a long time in the relegation zone. Doesn’t make us a great prospect.
I think it would be better to sign sold players who want to be here rather than a player who doesn’t.
By aiming too high I’m reading ambitious. Glass half full or empty kind of perspective. Keep it positive. Just because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean to say we stop trying to get the best player.

Last edited:
There are so many wetting their pants on here. The economic reality is that we can’t compete financially with clubs above us. The current owners are already back rolling a club that is not subsistent without investment to cover annual losses. There will be far greater opportunity to pick up players for a better price nearer the transfer deadline. Just in the last 24 hours for instance rangers are reportedly releasing 10 players. KR has experience and pedigree in managing a team so just trust and support him. He’s trying his best because it’s his neck on the block not yours. Don’t buy into the bedwetters as by the end of the transfer period I am sure we will have a competitive squad.
If I could just change one thing, it would be to make the transfer period deadline 2 weeks before the new season starts.

The current board are putting money in to the club, no doubt about that. However we don’t know on what terms do we? Are these effectively loans to the club? If so at what cost to the club? I assume they are not gifting the money and why should they. If they were to leave the club would the current overspend just be translated in to further debt on our books?

Only point I’m making when terms like ‘bankrolling’ are used it can give the impression they are giving money to the club at no cost to the club.

One of the reasons we may not be getting players across the line is that our budget has been cut more than we think? If that is the case then fair enough as ‘sustainability’ has to be the priority. It just comes down to communication from Tiger if that is the case.

By aiming too high I’m reading ambitious. Glass half full or empty kind of perspective. Keep it positive. Just because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean to say we stop trying to get the best player.
The issue is 2 weeks before the season and not a full team in place. A wise person would have signed a centerback and striker already then try for the star players. They may not have been the star players and should we get those star players may not have ended up as first choices but at least we would have had them for a full preseason and would start the season with a full team. We needed two players for these positions anyway.

Now we face the season with no fit striker no real first team left centerback. KR needs to sign these star players (and their backups asap) Otherwise it will soon be up to the kids, or loans, or last minute buys (look at the risk they are). No matter how your glass is this is the same as last season and it appears not a darn thing was learned from that.

This lack of investment in getting the best players in billionaires for God's sake just stinks for me that they don't want championship just think if they don't get the stadium they will be off.

The current board are putting money in to the club, no doubt about that. However we don’t know on what terms do we? Are these effectively loans to the club? If so at what cost to the club? I assume they are not gifting the money and why should they. If they were to leave the club would the current overspend just be translated in to further debt on our books?

Only point I’m making when terms like ‘bankrolling’ are used it can give the impression they are giving money to the club at no cost to the club.

One of the reasons we may not be getting players across the line is that our budget has been cut more than we think? If that is the case then fair enough as ‘sustainability’ has to be the priority. It just comes down to communication from Tiger if that is the case.
I think you are right to question the first team budget. I wonder what cost the under 23s is and how much of the budget is going here. I mean its fine if our first team is highly competitive with them in it, however if the first team struggles is it a case of chasing tomorrows gold and forgetting today's bread and butter?

I think you are right to question the first team budget. I wonder what cost the under 23s is and how much of the budget is going here. I mean its fine if our first team is highly competitive with them in it, however if the first team struggles is it a case of chasing tomorrows gold and forgetting today's bread and butter?
I think youve nailed it with this.

Actually you don’t need a whole team full of winners from front to back. Just enough players to support the development of the two or three real prospects. Academy’s are run like that up and down the country. Sadly although mum and dad are so proud of little Johnny playing for xx professional team, the reality is most players don’t make it to the first team. Or any team!
We seem to be trying to build a super u23 with quality front to back. It must cost some.

If the club was to pay its way and not receive additional investment where would we be? At what level should we be playing our football? I would imagine level 2. If we have a board and a manger who are capable of running the club where we are ambitious and attempt to sign players in the way up and sell them at a profit etc then we can survive in league 1 and aim for championship. As supporters we have a right to question every aspect of how the club is being run but I for one am getting tired of supporter after supporter having a dig at the board and manager when signings don’t eventuate as expected. Yes it’s a very competitive market when signing players and there will be many disappointments. But come on, keep things in perspective. We have a board and a manager with only one goal and that is to make OUFC as successful as possible. Don’t buy into conspiracy theorists with imagined agendas. Keep the faith and support.

It would be nice if you could do that. But only if you used different words to describe CB and striker in EVERY post. When you run out of words you must stop posting until the season begins.

Now that is a challenge. ;)
so we need a solid experienced sportsman to play in front of the goalkeeper and to the middle left of the back line, and a couple of pacy and athletic footballers who position themselves at the opposite end of the pitch, with the object of putting the football into the oppositions goal

The itk guys have all gone quiet, maybe there’s nothing going on
Maybe they are tired of getting shot down in flames when deals are far more complex than many realise.

For what it's worth, I'll say that I'm 90% confident that we'll have at least 3 additional players before the Sunderland game who will all be a big step on on those currently in their positions. Money really isn't an issue, and although not throwing stupid money around we can compete with most teams in our league.

If the club was to pay its way and not receive additional investment where would we be? At what level should we be playing our football? I would imagine level 2. If we have a board and a manger who are capable of running the club where we are ambitious and attempt to sign players in the way up and sell them at a profit etc then we can survive in league 1 and aim for championship. As supporters we have a right to question every aspect of how the club is being run but I for one am getting tired of supporter after supporter having a dig at the board and manager when signings don’t eventuate as expected. Yes it’s a very competitive market when signing players and there will be many disappointments. But come on, keep things in perspective. We have a board and a manager with only one goal and that is to make OUFC as successful as possible. Don’t buy into conspiracy theorists with imagined agendas. Keep the faith and support.
As far as I know we have had no idea what the goals of our board and owners actually are other than a vague make us successful. The sad fact is they have chosen to share very little with us (despite some very prominent off field issues). Do they want a successful club, do they want us to leverage a property deal,, and do they have any clue or the appropriate backing to delivery anything?

All we have is the evidence in front of us. Winding up orders, less than ideal pre-season preparations, and total silence from anyone other than over sharing KR.

Yes the market is competitive but it seems we were far less prepared than most to get the job done on time (again!!!). this is why many fans are worried. I think a lot of us are concerned now about the start of the season no matter who we get in (it looks a carbon copy of last year). Thank heavens the season doesn't start on Saturday as I would say our current squad would struggle massively.

The board and KR have stated on numerous occasions they want OUFC to be competing for promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom