Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
James Vaughan out of contract in the summer, could we go back in for him? Wonder if he regrets going to Portsmouth instead in January, yet to score or start them.

won’t wages be too high?
got a feeling we’ll end up with someone never heard of who will turn out to be a great signing. got to get lucky with a striker soon
we're well overdue to get lucky with signing a (prolific) striker.... an unknown quantity such as Roofe when he came to us, with similar end results, would do nicely

My number one summer signing would be fitness coach Chris Short. Since he joined in November the amount of late goals we’ve scored and fact we are still beating teams when we are a man down due to sending offs can’t all be a coincidence.
Too right, hes worth the money

I bet KR would like to go back in for Nicky Maynard. Best strike rate in L2 by far. A goal every 132 minutes and 21 in league so far. That is some going since the end of September. Out of contract but he has the option of signing a new one at Bury. Shame we didn't get him at the time. Will be much sought after now.

I bet KR would like to go back in for Nicky Maynard. Best strike rate in L2 by far. A goal every 132 minutes and 21 in league so far. That is some going since the end of September. Out of contract but he has the option of signing a new one at Bury. Shame we didn't get him at the time. Will be much sought after now.

Yep and KR said as such a few days ago.

I know im sounding like his agent, but his goals would have had us in the playoffs. A ludicrous decision by Tiger.

That is all in hindsight that it was a ludicrous decision. Maynard was an injury risk considering his history, something people were criticising KR and the club for at the time with other signings like Mackie and have continued to do so until relatively recently. Also, he wasn't exactly prolific in the few years before he was on trial, so to say it was a ludicrous decision is as said based on the use of hindsight. Further you have no idea if he'd have been in anyway as prolific at the higher level in Lg 1.

Nicky Maynard was a risk too far at the time. He had serious ongoing injury issues that, combined with the fact that we were already dealing with Jamie Mackie and Ricky Holmes’ fitness problems, meant that all three may not have figured this season.
It wasn’t ‘a ludicrous decision’ at all,
merely a practical assessment, made at the time.
He went elsewhere and scored a few but we still stayed up and can now look for someone who can bang those goals in who is less of a risk.

I know im sounding like his agent, but his goals would have had us in the playoffs. A ludicrous decision by Tiger.
While I'm not exactly Tiger's greatest fan, I can see why he said no. Robinson had been moaning about injuries (perhaps justifiably, perhaps a problem partly of his own making) and wanted to sign another player of dubious fitness - IIRC even stating himself that he could get ten minutes or a quarter of an hour out of Maynard per game! In hindsight it was possibly a mistake (although he is playing a division down against the likes of Notts County and Yeovil!) - but at the time I though it was a sensible decision.

Edit - Just looked at his stats. Before this season (21 goals in 35 matches - excellent!), in the last 6 years before that he had scored 16 goals in 136 matches. Which tells you two things - prior to Bury, he was playing about half the games in any given season (22 or so a year) and scoring at a rate of one goal every eight games and if he'd played every league game that would have been 6 goals. If he had only managed half the games in the season it would have been three! You can see why we didn't sign him.

Last edited:
Zerothehero explains well why this decision wasnt made .
It is so easy slating decisions in hindsight .
I am assuming that at the time you were suggesting that we had to take him (or saying that he was another crock with a very poor goalscoring record)?

While I'm not exactly Tiger's greatest fan, I can see why he said no. Robinson had been moaning about injuries (perhaps justifiably, perhaps a problem partly of his own making) and wanted to sign another player of dubious fitness - IIRC even stating himself that he could get ten minutes or a quarter of an hour out of Maynard per game! In hindsight it was possibly a mistake (although he is playing a division down against the likes of Notts County and Yeovil!) - but at the time I though it was a sensible decision.

Edit - Just looked at his stats. Before this season (21 goals in 35 matches - excellent!), in the last 6 years before that he had scored 16 goals in 136 matches. Which tells you two things - prior to Bury, he was playing about half the games in any given season (22 or so a year) and scoring at a rate of one goal every eight games and if he'd played every league game that would have been 6 goals. If he had only managed half the games in the season it would have been three! You can see why we didn't sign him.
We would also never have signed Sinclair in all probability, who I think has been a good player and has helped stretch defences and pin back teams, as well as scoring a few goals himself. He’s played his part in recent months, but I doubt he’d have been affordable had another wage been going out to Maynard. Sometimes it just clicks for a player. Right club, right time. Maynard has probably found that at Bury this season.

It’s certainly not as much of a howler as ten years ago, when we repeatedly turned down Charlie Austin and signed Jamie cook instead. When you put it into perspective, a 30+ Nicky Maynard not signing on a free for a season is nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom