Transfer News Transfer targets summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricey

I started a similar thread this time last year which ran all summer, I was thinking last night who might be on our radar after Robbo said he might miss a fixture to chase targets.

This morning he has said Kashi and Sinclair on loan and will attempt a permanent deal for Browne... All of which would be decent signings but particularly if he gets Browne permanently. If his contract expires 2020 it might be possible, with a small fee and decent sell on clause (like Roofe deal), it’s certainly one which could make some money down the line.

Any other suggestions or rumours? I’m sure it’s going to be a busy summer!!!

if you want the owner to have ambition for the club then this continuous line of bringing players in just to sell on lacks such ambition.

Why oh why can we not build a squad of our own players that can be together for a few seasons with the odd tinker here and there as we progress up the leagues?

Keep breaking up the squad season after season has partly led us to where we are today.

if you want the owner to have ambition for the club then this continuous line of bringing players in just to sell on lacks such ambition.

Why oh why can we not build a squad of our own players that can be together for a few seasons with the odd tinker here and there as we progress up the leagues?

Keep breaking up the squad season after season has partly led us to where we are today.

Completely agree, but I don't think we are alone in that regard. With more lower division clubs making the most of the loan system it adds to the churn.

If we can get enough games out of Browne, and tie him up with Kashi and Sinclair then that would be a massive plus in reducing the churn. All 3 in different ways have shown they can do it at this level. If we had a front 3 of Sinclair, Mackie + 1 decent signing then that would not be a bad starting point.

With all 3 though, surely we should be able to tie it up relatively quickly. They have seen what we have got to offer, so all parties are in the know etc. The club needs to work out pretty quickly how likely it is they'll stay with us.

Hopefully, the backroom staff will have sifted through the potential out there and have sorted out a long list of players who can add something special to this nucleus, starting with all those decent ones who are OOC at the end of the season.
Things will be tight money wise, but there are some very talented/ambitious players out there just looking for the step up (or down), and without having to pay a fee up front, we just might be able to grab ourselves a few diamonds in the rough without getting too many more wind up petitions along the way.?

How does any of this sit then with Tiger's announcement that our playing budget will be reduced next season?
Well it depends on what the reduction is.
It could sit pretty easily based on Carruthers, Holmes, Obika, Hall presumably taking a chunk of the budget and hardly playing at all this season.
This mustn't happen next season and hopefully a couple of the U23s will step up into the first team squad as well.
So it isn't impossible for the budget to be cut and the squad to remain as competitive as the second half of the season.
But it depends on the reduction in the budget which appears to not be finalised until this big board meeting at the end of the month.

I see (according to transfermarkt) Plymouth’s Graham Carey is OOC this summer as is Gillingham’s Tom Eaves.

Last edited:
How does any of this sit then with Tiger's announcement that our playing budget will be reduced next season?

Not paying £30,000 per month plus for Holmes and Carruthers will help, especially as one is dropped from recent first team action.

Even if he trimmed the wage bill by £15,000 a month from it's current budget, would enable us to sign one of JG or JS. Replacing Nelson's wages with someone on a slightly less salary expectation will help further.

I see (according to transfermarkt) Plymouth’s Graham Carey is OOC this summer as is Gillingham’s Tom Eaves.
I would imagine that Championship clubs may take a punt on them (although Eaves looked pretty ordinary the twice we played ttem)

Tom Eaves is a good shout (especially if Gillingham go down?!?!) and I think we wanted him last summer so would make sense...

Tom Eaves is a good shout (especially if Gillingham go down?!?!) and I think we wanted him last summer so would make sense...

Eaves will end up in the Championship I reckon. I believe Gillingham turned down significant bids for him in January.

Because we are a smaller club and two leagues below Southampton ( please add other clubs) .... and that's what they have to do.

Sell on's and loans will be a significant part of the reality of a loss making league 1 club.

(But we can still be successful and enjoy good football at the same time!)

Because we are a smaller club and two leagues below Southampton ( please add other clubs) .... and that's what they have to do.

Sell on's and loans will be a significant part of the reality of a loss making league 1 club.

(But we can still be successful and enjoy good football at the same time!)

we sold players we loan players we continue every summer to have to rebuild....we have flirted with relegation 2 seasons running Don't appear to be working to me.

we sold players we loan players we continue every summer to have to rebuild....we have flirted with relegation 2 seasons running Don't appear to be working to me.
There are a lit of reasons for that. Eales, Pep, time spent to develop the quality younger players coming through.
It did work under MAPP and can do again.
It may take a couple more years though..

We have had this model of investing and selling all our lives. No one was complaining when when the model worked superbly under Eales, Ashton and Appleton - we had Lundstram, Baldock, Roofe etc. It just coincided with a promotion.

All we needed to do was continue that but with a better pool of quality players available - instead we decided to throw away what we were good at and sign Tiendalli, Xemi, Williamson, Shearer, McMahon, Mackie (yes he's come to the party the last two months), etc. That's not going to see us kick on, never ever was it.

Just need to return to that. Tiger started to do it (Cameron B, Dickie, Whyte, Sykes) but it's been stifled by the McMahons and alike.

We have had this model of investing and selling all our lives. No one was complaining when when the model worked superbly under Eales, Ashton and Appleton - we had Lundstram, Baldock, Roofe etc. It just coincided with a promotion.

All we needed to do was continue that but with a better pool of quality players available - instead we decided to throw away what we were good at and sign Tiendalli, Xemi, Williamson, Shearer, McMahon, Mackie (yes he's come to the party the last two months), etc. That's not going to see us kick on, never ever was it.

Just need to return to that. Tiger started to do it (Cameron B, Dickie, Whyte, Sykes) but it's been stifled by the McMahons and alike.
forgot all about Williamson. didn’t he have decent playing history prior to us? the more you think about it the more shocking that was for the brief Pep era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom